It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underwater Cloaking Device Is Insane Looking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Cloaking device prototypes are usually either pipe dreams or poorly executed, but this experiment out of UT Dallas is incredible. Utilizing the same principle behind a mirage, Danger Room reports, the carbon nanotube plate completely vanishes at a button-press.

By heating up the water immediately around the nano plate, rays of light are bent away from the material, preventing a reflecting image from reaching an eyeball.

Here is the full paper

How cool is this effect? I'm not sure it would work from every angle, but it's a start and it's rare to see something that 'cloaks' actually working, even in a lab like this. Can you imagine this kind of technology on a plane or destroyer? Of course it wouldn't work nearly the same but just seeing something solid disappear like that sure is cool! Also begs the question if we've come this far and are admitting it, what kind of crazy crap is the miliary already capable of?

Link

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
*Sings* 'We've only just begun...'

That is AWESOME! I love it! The possibilities are just incredible. Besides the obviouse military application I'd love to have an underwater home with some of those 'sheets'! Talk about a great hide out! Dang, I want swim gear made out of that stuff too! I'm tired a always looking over my shoulder for JAWS.

All joking aside, that is some incredible stuff - thanks for sharing! Thoroughly worthy thread! S&F!

peace

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Imagine is criminals got their hands on this...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm guessing this only works underwater?

Which would be a problem. The enemy relies on sonar and radar, not visuals. Plus, what would you want to hide underwater? Isn't the fact that it's underwater already mean it's hidden?

.....but that does not change the fact that this is still cool as heck. nice find.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Pretty cool!

Now we can sneak up on those underwater aliens and scare fish.

Tell me how this could be used practically for anything other than stealth nuclear subs?

~Namaste

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

I am sure they are devloping it for the government already, so looks like they already have.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CastleMadeOfSand

Yeah I'm pretty sure it only works underwater. It does seem to be a bit of a breakthrough though and I wouldn't be surprised if this leads to a better understanding of how to manipulate things into being 'invisible'.

Certainly enemies rely on sonar/radar but I think visual confirmation is probably important too.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
If it's insane looking, it's already failed

Just saying

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hmmm .. there is something not quite right about that demonstration.

Does this work from any angle?

Why use a blank wall behind the object they are making vanish?

I think this is just an illusion like something a magician does with mirrors. Its not true cloaking. You can see how the bottom back support to the object isnt visible when the object seems to vanish. So what we are seeing is some kind of reflection and not cloaking.

Its set at a carefully chosen angle. If there was a pattern on the wall or something moving behind the object we would see the illusion works.

edit on 4-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

Imagine the war governments getting their hands on this... Oh, I see. You already wrote that.

Criminals...

But can we please all agree, that as this is being showed to us now, something 10 times better already exists in the hands of these crimi... erh, governments?
edit on 4/10/11 by JoeSignal because: words added..

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Its a shame that the video is at an angle. It would be interesting to see if the brown wooden board behind the tubes disappears.

EDIT

Ooops just saw PhoenixOD post and I totally agree with him.

edit on 4/10/11 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Look up angle of reflection.
The electricity is changing the surface properties to allow total reflection of light to a higher angle.

If they were to show the film straight on you would have any cloak effect.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
very interesting kinda reminds me of the Philadelphia Experiment / Project Rainbow

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
reply to post by Domo1

Imagine is criminals got their hands on this...

Don’t give the US government ideas, last thing the US needs is believing there are invisible terrorists running around unseen. As for the tech, I would have thought science was past this by now considering military tech is always a few steps ahead especially when it comes to something like stealth capabilities.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Laughed pretty hard at the idea of invisible terrorist false flags

new topics

top topics

join