It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimer's might be transmissible in similar way as infectious prion diseases: study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Kay. Sounds good. Re: "(AGEs) are well known to contribute to protein misfolding, insolubility, and aggregation." - No doubt - but I'm thinking this means they're part of the cascade that occurs after the misfolded proteins are already present - and just contribute to the propagation, spreading, and disease process (adds to the symptoms). Ie., doesn't cause the original misfolded protein seed-infection. ....Let me know what you find out.

....I'm off too. Take care. Learn lots, share it all.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Infectious misfolded proteins cause numerous debilitating, degenerative and disabling diseases - referred to generically as chronic "noncommunicative diseases" (NCD's) - five of which are now pandemic.

The first phase in the depopulation scheme looks to be euthansasia, or "mercy killing." The first targets will be people with advanced Alzheimer's and dementias. The next phase likely will focus on the idea that these diseases can be transmitted "genetically" - and move to target all people with mental illness as potentially dangerous and "genetically inferior," likely for quarantine. Shortly after that, any unemployed, sick and/or homeless people will be at the top of the list. But it won't stop there.

Fact is, there are many pathways to misfolded proteins - including food processing, drug manufacturing and other industrial activities. Many common products, including medications, are contaminated with misfolded proteins.

Proteins are the building blocks of life - and our bodies are constantly creating new ones for repair, maintenance and replacement parts. These proteins don't just need the right chemistry - they need to be folded into exactly the right shape to work. Problem is, proteins misfold easily, in response to "environmental perturbations" - including temperature changes, or exposure to chemicals, heavy metals, oxygen or radiation.

But even though industrial activities like food processing and drug manufacturing are well-known to create infectious misfolded proteins, and cause disease, people are being blamed for "making themselves sick."

A Role for Protein Misfolding in Immunogenicity of Biopharmaceuticals

…..misfolding of therapeutic proteins is an immunogenic signal and a risk factor for immunogenicity. ……Over the past decades, the use of therapeutic proteins has become common practice in medicine ……

Protein misfolding is an intrinsic and problematic property of proteins, which underlies a variety of degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer disease.
These diseases are characterized by the occurrence of fibrillar deposits, classically termed amyloid, containing aggregates of misfolded proteins.

……experiments pointed out that biopharmaceuticals, like any other protein, are amyloidogenic and that misfolding, detected by amyloid markers, takes place in several preparations. These markers, however, are not necessarily specific for fibrillar amyloid, but also for smaller misfolded protein species.

….. Various Biopharmaceuticals Display Amyloid-like Properties upon Exposure to Conditions of Stress, Indicating Protein Misfolding — During manufacturing and storage, biopharmaceuticals may also become exposed to various conditions of stress that can potentially underlie protein misfolding and the formation of amyloid-like properties.

…….Our results point to a common mechanism by which the immune system perceives misfolded proteins. We hypothesize that this lies in the changed conformation of the protein backbone itself. This implies that the innate immune system may be activated by recognition of the amyloid-like properties of misfolded protein. …

The NCD pandemic is getting a fair amount of press these days.

Time to fight the new global pandemic of chronic diseases

New cases of chronic noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) such as heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and chronic lung disease are exploding throughout the world, even in the poorest countries. These conditions account for 63 percent of deaths globally, and 80 percent of those deaths are occurring in low- and middle-income countries. Chronic diseases are also incredibly disabling and have a major negative impact on economic development, as they occur at a much earlier age and rob families of their breadwinners.

.........continued...........

edit on 13/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
...........continued from above..........

This pandemic is already destroying families, bankrupting nations and health care systems, and threatening the global economy.

…What's going to happen in 10 or 20 years when millions more people are debilitated and disabled? [Hint: In case you think this is a health issue, it's not.]

Chronic disease to cost $47 trillion by 2030: WEF

"This is not a health issue, this is an economic issue…"

And in case you might blame corporate industry or Big Pharma, let's make it perfectly clear:

What's killing us? Diseases that will kill 9 of 10 Americans

…..cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and a variety of other chronic ailments. And worse, unlike some infectious diseases, they're quite preventable.

This new, ultra-deadly pandemic threat is caused by we, ourselves. Sedentary lifestyles, poor eating habits, smoking, and other high-risk behavior causes most of these diseases. ….

More than anything, the root causes are apathy and sloth.

[/sarcasm]

ed to add: DARN - just realized I posted this in the wrong thread! ...will leave here, repost on the other one too

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I think you all are looking at this from the wrong angle. Saying these diseases are caused by mis folded proteins is nearly as bad as saying they're genetic, and that's it.

These illnesses are treatable, and preventable in most circumstances.

If you have enough b-vitamins, you will most likely not develop Alzheimer's, so regardless of if you ingest prions, your body will either fix them, eradicate them, else effectively compensate.

Diet and Alzheimer's

So basically, exercise, don't eat processed foods, eat a healthy diet, and perhaps supplement a naturally spiced b vitamin. Certainly don't stress over stuff like this. Stress kills!

Here's another possible piece of the puzzle:
Mycoplasma as possible cause of amyloid plaque/ prions?

Interestingly, high doses of niacin are both, a profound anti fungal, and treat Lyme disease, which is thought by many to be a result of a weaponized version of mycoplasma.

It seems weaponized mycoplasma has been dispersed on the whole of humanity throughout the decades. Several strains are out there, and they effect us all differently based on genetic susceptibilities and lifestyle choices.

edit on 13-10-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Originally posted by unityemissions
I think you all are looking at this from the wrong angle. Saying these diseases are caused by mis folded proteins is nearly as bad as saying they're genetic, and that's it.

Tell that to a geneticist.

These illnesses are treatable, and preventable in most circumstances.

That's the attitude that is completely obscuring industry's very real, very negative impact on our planet's environment, and on human and animal health.

If you have enough b-vitamins, you will most likely not develop Alzheimer's, so regardless of if you ingest prions, your body will either fix them, eradicate them, else effectively compensate.

We ingest prions, and our bodies create them too, in response to contaminants. ...Prions are an evolutionary mechanisms - they adapt to new exposures - and yes, our bodies just deal with them in a healthy environment. ...But if the environment is unhealthy, and the contaminants remain, then so do the prions.

So basically, exercise, don't eat processed foods, eat a healthy diet, and perhaps supplement a naturally spiced b vitamin.

Always good advice - except the magic pill part.

Certainly don't stress over stuff like this. Stress kills!

Stress does kill. No doubt about it. The trick is emotional detachment - the goal is to free oneself from emotional attachments and judgments so that one can look at the facts clearly. ...Emotion creates stress and yep, stress kills.

So lose the emotion and judgment, not the facts and truth.

It seems weaponized mycoplasma has been dispersed on the whole of humanity throughout the decades. Several strains are out there, and they effect us all differently based on genetic susceptibilities and lifestyle choices.

The standard corporate legal defense - genetics, lifestyle and diet - I should have seen that coming. :sigh:

Again - prions are an evolutionary mechanisms that help us to adapt to changing environments. Prions also cause disease. Industry changes our environments, externally and inside our bodies, and also creates disease-causing prions by manipulating proteins' "environments" during manufacturing.

Just deal with the facts, and table your emotional response if you want to understand. Also, do not assume that others have the same inclination to the same emotional reactions that you do.

edit on 13/10/11 by soficrow because: comma

edit on 13/10/11 by soficrow because: wd

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Okay, you're stuck in a box that you've created.

I've tried for a couple of years to pull you out, but you refuse to look passed your assumptions.

I trust others will take in all the information, and come to their own conclusions.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

you're stuck in a box that you've created.

I take it you're dismissing all the scientific evidence? ...You're assuming that others come from emotion only, as you do?

I trust others will take in all the information

I don't. ...People tend to assimilate only what they can. Learning tends to be a rather long, drawn-out process.

and come to their own conclusions.

No doubt. My hope is that people will become more aware of the mechanisms behind pollution's very real effects.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

No, I'm not.

I'm hoping people can see how weak you look, and take in all the information at hand.

You're hiding behind several terms you seek to attach to my demeanor, illogically, using words like "emotional" , "facts" , and the like.

I don't doubt prions exist. I doubt that these researchers have a clue as to what they're dealing with.

You act as if there's a consensus opinion within the whole of the scientific community as to the origins of amyloid plaques. There isn't.

You act as if the information you present is fact, and mine are dubious. Tsk, tsk, Sofi.

I'm not going to argue with a child, so this conversation is over.

Quit projecting.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Whether or not you or others see me as weak, "The Prion Problem" is real - however, it may be ill-defined - it actually might be "The Prion Solution." Prions cause disease, yes, but they also can be good guys. One of the oldest known prion diseases is sickle-cell disease - caused by conformation problems with the hemoglobin protein. …The same protein conformational "problem" that causes sickle-cell disease also protects carriers from debilitating malarial infections.

Sickle-cell disease, usually presenting in childhood, occurs more commonly in people (or their descendants) from parts of tropical and sub-tropical regions where malaria is or was common. One-third of all indigenous inhabitants of Sub-Saharan Africa carry the gene,[2] because in areas where malaria is common, there is a fitness benefit in carrying only a single sickle-cell gene (sickle cell trait). Those with only one of the two alleles of the sickle-cell disease, while not totally resistant, are more tolerant to the infection and thus show less severe symptoms when infected.

Much evidence indicates that prions (and prion diseases) have the ability to confer benefits and positive evolutionary effects.

One of the top prion researchers is Susan Lindquist - a member of the Whitehead Institute, Professor of Biology at MIT and Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. As her front page states, "The protein-folding problem isn’t always a problem. The very same types of misfoldings that cause dreadful diseases in some circumstances can have beneficial effects in others."

Lindquist Lab

Work in our lab covers a broad range of topics unified by one theme: the protein-folding problem.

Through biochemistry and genetics we investigate the mechanisms of protein folding and the consequences of misfolding. Because protein-folding problems are universal, we move back and forth between simple and complex organisms (yeast, rodents, and human cells). We investigate how protein conformational changes provide epigenetic mechanisms of inheritance, sculpt phenotypic landscapes, shape evolutionary process, and cause devastating neurodegenerative diseases. We are also making progress in deciphering the enigmatic structures of prions and amyloids. One implication of our work is that
the protein-folding problem isn’t always a problem. The very same types of misfoldings that cause dreadful diseases in some circumstances can have beneficial effects in others.
The protein-folding problem is as ancient as life itself; it makes sense that evolution would occasionally, perhaps even often, use it to advantage.

...............continued.............

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
.........continued from above................

The main point is that prions are evolutionary mechanisms - normal proteins misfold in response to environmental change, become infectious.

We're in the middle of a Chronic Disease Pandemic - most of which (arguably) results from industrial contaminations, and the direct or indirect creation of prions. …..Radiation exposure from damaged nuclear plants has and is going to result in a raft of diseases related to protein-misfolding - some of which, like sickle-cell disease, are going to confer evolutionary benefits.

BUT - our corporate rulers -and their shills- insist that we view all these new diseases as resulting from bad lifestyle and diet - as genetic problems, NOT evolutionary solutions, - and to focus on the economic situation, the monetary cost.

Big mistake.

The push is on to justify euthanasia for Alzheimer's and dementias. What's next? Are we being manipulated into killing off and quarantining the humans that carry the evolutionary adaptations that will save our species? Out of ignorance? Because collectively we can't deal with the idea of misfolded proteins and prions?

……Don't forget that prions and -successful evolutionary adaptations- seem to have some rather mysterious and genetically heretical methods of transmissibility that go far beyond linear inheritance.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
For anyone who cares to actually figure this stuff out, and not ascribe something as general as Alzheimer's to any one source, check out these links for some insight:

Role of Chronic Bacterial and Viral Infections in Neurodegenerative, Neurobehavioral, Psychiatric, Autoimmune and Fatiguing Illnesses: Part 1

Dr Garth Nicholson's Bio:

Amyloid-beta peptide degradation in cell cultures by mycoplasma contaminants

Beta-amyloid deposition and Alzheimer’s type changes induced by Borrelia spirochetes

Remember, schizophrenia used to be called, "insanity" long ago. It's still a catch all for a wide variety of ailments that are caused by even more vectors interacting with our genome, and internal/external terrain.

Please take not of the speculation that Sofi includes on top of her data. She has an agenda. She has been compromised by her illness, and her inability to effectively combat it.

I was terribly ill a few years back. Bed-ridden about 80% of the time. You can search my post history, else I will provide a page worth of symptoms if you really would like.

I took an integrative approach to figuring out what may be wrong with me, and how I may get well.

It took a LONG time to get well.

Today, I'm now training at a crossfit center.

I require 4-5 hours of sleep each day, and wake up feeling awesome!

My symptoms are a thing of the past.

I got well.

She didn't.

She has an agenda to tell you that you can't get well from changing your diet, and taking nutritional supplements, herbs, etc..

She didn't get well.

It may be that she got the poo end of the stick, genetically, or there could be other factors involved.

Don't let her deter you from getting well.

We either will make it through this, else we won't.

It's best to give it our best shot, and hope for the best, while preparing for the worst.

BTW, evolutionary adaptations are in no way, a chronic illness.

If you evolve, you're no longer ill.

Period.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Interesting news.

Both of my step mothers parents had Alzheimer just a few years apart. My step mother's plan is to continue using all the best known brain health supplements

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

None of your references negate the idea of prions being the underlying mechanism that causes disease. It's quite well-known that the inflammation resulting from chronic infections promotes prion propagation. And moreover, early research shows that prions can infect virus capsids - it would be comparatively easy to infect bacteria, fungi, spirochetes and other microbes' cells. Even flies and other ectoparasites integrate prions:

Animal prion infections, such as scrapie (sheep) and "mad cow disease" (cattle), have shown a pattern of horizontal transmission in farm conditions and several ectoparasites have been shown to harbor prion rods in laboratory experiments. Fly larvae and mites were exposed to brain-infected material and were readily able to transmit scrapie to hamsters. New lines of evidence have confirmed that adult flies are also able to express prion proteins.

.....Several cell types found on the human skin, including keratinocytes, fibroblasts and lymphocytes, are susceptible to the abnormal infective isoform of the prion protein, which transforms the skin to produce a potential target for prion infection.

Int J Dermatol. 2003 Jun;42(6):425-9. Could ectoparasites act as vectors for prion diseases? Lupi O. Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, TX, USA. PMID: 12786866

Also see: The high expression of the prion protein on the skin and mucosa and the severity of the inflammatory response to the larvae could readily increase the efficiency of transmission of prions in both animals and humans.

…..The world is "connected" in ways not even Lovelock dares to address.

Scientists have evidence that bacteria dangerous to humans have begun evolving in insects, for reasons that are not clear.

The October edition of Nature Reviews: Microbiology reports that invertebrates such as worms and insects may have begun enabling a rapid evolution for bacteria normally not harmful to humans. Not only are insects capable of delivering disease through bites and stings, they now may be the breeding ground for strains of infectious bacteria never before seen in humans.

Dangerous Bacteria Evolving in Insects

I personally find the idea of a super-Gaia mediated by prions to be awesome, not scary.

BTW, evolutionary adaptations are in no way, a chronic illness.

If you evolve, you're no longer ill.

Period.

Evolution isn't instantaneous - and our systems are assaulted from virtually every quarter. It takes time.

.....In no way do I think we have no power - I simply will NOT let people be disempowered and blamed, or removed from the whole, and isolated from the earth or what we do to it.

Prions are simply a mechanism - of interest to people curious about how things biological work, asking: What drives adaptation and evolution? What do pollution, industrial contaminants and nanoparticles do, at the most fundamental level?

edit on 13/10/11 by soficrow because: format

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join