It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very large eruption on the Sun, Oct 04 13:00

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troofseeker
Nobody seems to be answering the most important question. If that coronal ejection was directed toward Earth, what would be likely to happen? Fried electronics? Fried people? Is there anything we could do to prepare? My car for instance - what could I do to protect it? Anything?

Come on, let's have some serious discussion about what a huge CME could really mean for us.

Have a spare set of solenoids available!

I think no one is answering because we don't know! and anyone who turned round and said they did know would be telling lies i'd imagine! Some may be able to assume what would occur but lets be honest, no one has measured something like that eruption hit earth before so they'd only be "guestimating"!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Here's a bit of doom for you all :. A solar flare would be good cover for the use of Haarp they who ever they are, could wipe out millions and how could you prove it was Haarp ?
Call me names if you want.......but please prove me wrong.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Phage what are some of the probable outcomes of CME's this size, when they reach earth?

And have we had any this size in the last 100 or so years to deal with?

Thanks,

RT

Originally posted by Phage
It seems to be a very active region. It produced large CMEs on the 29th and 30th. The one on the 2nd. And again today. It will be getting to our side of the sun in 10 or 12 days.

[ats]

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
We have today in 90 min two C class solar flare, from new sunspot ..

This sunspot looks active ..

edit on 5-10-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Thank you so much for keeping us informed! You are such a sweet soul!!!!!

Are these new flares (within this new spot) Earth facing?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Thank you dear mo0m ..

No they are not Earth facing for now, be in 5 days ..

You can see here, P93 mark ..

Good day to you, peace ..

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I got some good solar covers on my binos....and i got the day off...ill be watching for a bit just to see if i can see anything different than normal...idk but i enjoy staring at the sun haha.

I dont think this will be much of anything....2011 has had quite alot of big flare ups...I think in February and August, and there was some damage from them i believe, but nothing much...I wouldn't worry too much yet, but as always....wouldn't hurt to take a few precautions.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

that's weird...MSM news seems to be blissfully unaware of this new eruption after the comet induced ones

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Nothing is going to come of this...nothing.. We are here,We have been here and we will still be here. The worst that will happen is you will not be able to hear your favorite FM or AM station. Between the comet ELEin and the UFO's hiding in it's tail and now solar eruption you all are going to stress yourself into a early grave..

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Sun is "everything", I love watch him to0 all my free time ..

In real and here online, first time in our history we have extra tools for monitoring ..

I enjoy very mach ..

Peace ..

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
time to lay out a few bags of marshmallows and a lamb spit-roast

solar party at my house! (sunglasses and sunscreen provided)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
Nothing is going to come of this...nothing.. We are here,We have been here and we will still be here. The worst that will happen is you will not be able to hear your favorite FM or AM station. Between the comet ELEin and the UFO's hiding in it's tail and now solar eruption you all are going to stress yourself into a early grave..

That is what is so depressing. We can't hope for better things anyway. Now you say we can't even hope for doom. Nothing to look forward to

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer
I got some good solar covers on my binos....and i got the day off...ill be watching for a bit just to see if i can see anything different than normal...idk but i enjoy staring at the sun haha.

I dont think this will be much of anything....2011 has had quite alot of big flare ups...I think in February and August, and there was some damage from them i believe, but nothing much...I wouldn't worry too much yet, but as always....wouldn't hurt to take a few precautions.

Dude, I’d be real careful with those ‘solar covers’ if I were you. Got the same with my telescope. However, almost every amateur astronomy book I read said the best thing to do with is wrap it in a bit of foil and burry it in your garden. Apparently they don’t do jack in protecting your eyes. Yours may be different, but it’s worthwhile to make sure.

ON topic; I asked two questions earlier and haven’t really got any response so far;
1- Was this CME caused by a comet/asteroid impact?
2- Would anybody care to speculate what the results would be had the above CME been earth directed. Phage?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
1- Was this CME caused by a comet/asteroid impact?

Popular scientific opinion is that no CME has ever been triggered nor is expected to be triggered by comet/asteroid impact. So the answer is NO. Those few instances that appear to have been triggered by a comet/asteroid impact are simply coincidences.

2- Would anybody care to speculate what the results would be had the above CME been earth directed. Phage?

I would like to know the answer myself. So will wait for someone who knows.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Observor because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
DAMMIT OBAMA you and your Nasa science experiments........

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
The below quote is from www.solarham.com , awesome site for credible data regarding the Sun.

Solar Update: A long duration C7.3 Solar Flare took place around Sunspot 1302 at 09:23 UTC Tuesday morning. This region is now rotating onto the western limb and any explosions at this point will not be earth directed.

An aurora watch will be in effect within the next 24-48 hours due to the expected arrival of a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME) caused by a long duration M1.2 solar flare around Sunspot 1305 on Saturday morning. Minor geomagnetic storming may be possible at high latitudes.

A new Sunspot which continues to expand in the southern hemisphere was numbered 1311 on Tuesday. The new region which rotated into view on the northeast limb was numbered 1312. Currently there is only a small chance for moderate solar flares.

So i'm pretty sure they are referring to the solar flare discussed in this thread.

Flare classed as a long duration C7.3

According to TESIS website, we've had five flares today reading C9.2, C6.1, C2.3, C1.1, C2.3. There was only one yesterday registering at C7.3.

The last X class flare was on September 24th registering at X1.9.

edit on 5-10-2011 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2011 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I would like to know the answer myself. So will wait for someone who knows.
edit on 5-10-2011 by Observor because: (no reason given)

I don't know if this helps, but the biggest observed coronal mass ejection happened in the late 1880'ies.

Here's a snippet from the wikipedia article.

On September 1–2, 1859, the largest recorded geomagnetic storm occurred. Aurorae were seen around the world, most notably over the Caribbean; also noteworthy were those over the Rocky Mountains that were so bright that their glow awoke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[4] According to professor Daniel Baker of the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, "people in the northeastern U.S. could read newspaper print just from the light of the aurora."[5] Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases even shocking telegraph operators.[6] Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire.[7] Some telegraph systems appeared to continue to send and receive messages despite having been disconnected from their power supplies.[8]

Telegraph pylons threw sparks and telegraph paper spontaneously caught fire... Hmmm... Could that mean that the cellphones In our pockets could catch fire? (if such an event would happen in these modern times)

Wiki article

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by MamaJ

Yup.
Two weeks maybe.
Things could get interesting if it keeps up.

There you go again, Phage -- spreading fear and needlessly inciting the masses.

Wait, Phage -- is that really you?!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Observor

Yeah, but really, that IS depressing.
I had my last hopes on this pending doom....but if doesnt happen, we´re stuck in this growing "new world".

THAT is bad news my friends.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ADEzor

Remember the CME from June 7, 2011? NASA's website didn't say much of it, but a quote from a NASA scientist interviewed by National Geographic had this to say.

"This totally caught us by surprise. There wasn't much going on with this spot, but as it came from behind the sun, all of the sudden there was a flare and huge ejection of particles," said astrophysicist Phillip Chamberlin of NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), one of several spacecraft that recorded the event.

"We've never seen a CME this enormous."

news.nationalgeographic.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join