It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very large eruption on the Sun, Oct 04 13:00

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by galactix

Apparently you don't know, because you missed where I said visible. There are lightyear-long waves of neutrinos and other particles. But not visible.

If the coma is larger than sol, than it is no longer really part of the comet. It's a debris field, one of many clouds of such that sol carries along. Bow shocks of the sun stretch several solar systems long. Long range items can travel star-to-star like interstellar flees. But. They are rarely if ever visible.

Saturn is a great example. A near-invisible cloud surrounds the rings going out waaayyy long.

On average are 3-7 or something molecules in galactic space. Each one tagging along to whatever gravity catches it. Technically true space doesn't exist in galaxies.

The universe is clumpy. This fact changes many things.

Yes, and one clump tends to be similar to the next clump, fyi.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

yes visible :

"At one point during September to October 1811 the coma reached a diameter roughly equivalent to the diameter of the sun and was a very notable naked-eye object seen by people around the world." source very very big, but not dense. and anyway, what y'all fail to realize is that it's not the mass and speed that matter with comets. Its their composition and location on the ecliptic... how they interact with sol: dissipating charge differences.. or something: i don't claim anything except that considering only speed and mass is ... foolish.

Try standing in the field generated by a tesla coil (as i have) and you might get a better...feeling for the stunning weirdness involved.

lol.. "no longer really a part" . so we change definitions to support hypothesis? did they teach u that in school?

"On average are 3-7 or something molecule". the arrogance (and ignorance) of this statement is astounding..no really.

"be similar to the next". orly?
Care to point out all the largely "similar" clumps around you? do you assume that somehow the cosmos is different?

sigh.

edit on 7-10-2011 by galactix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Oh Hai, look who didn't think in three dimensions.

You know, if you take out your thumb, it also has a diameter greater than the sun at the right position.

Do try to understand what you're talking about.

Also, just fyi.

intergalactic space is not devoid of matter, as it contains a few hydrogen atoms per cubic meter

hypertextbook.com...

- "A Study of the Local Group by Use of the Virial Theorem". Publications of the Astronomical Society of Japan

Care to point out all the largely "similar" clumps around you? do you assume that somehow the cosmos is different?

Look up.

I'm looking down. Sigh indeed.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

You know, if you take out your thumb, it also has a diameter greater than the sun at the right position.

- "A Study of the Local Group by Use of the Virial Theorem".

I'm looking down.

the comet was out past Jupiter. From Earth, it was as big as Sol.

from Earth.

is Jupiter closer to Earth than Sol? is that the 3D part?

"by use of Theroem" i like "by use of measurements and photographs" better. sorry.

i am looking all around.... and what i see is lovely and mysterious and largely interesting.

whew!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I finally found out what caused this mess..........It was BONK!

Bonk hit the SUN
edit on 7-10-2011 by TWISTEDWORDS because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

intergalactic space is not devoid of matter, as it contains a few hydrogen atoms per cubic meter

"ranging from 10^-4-10^6 molecules per cm^3"

per cubic centimeter. based on measurements.

does this look homogeneous to you?

source

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Yea then you don't really know what your talking about. A cloud of a comet will not remain with the comet near Jupiter. It will fall to Jupiter.
edit on 8-10-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Yes, it does. It's a pretty even distribution of matter.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

On average are 3-7 or something molecules in galactic space.

Upon some research, I believe you to be talking of these molecules such as CH3OH, CH3CN, HC3N, SO, SO2 and SiO; which exist mostly middle to exterior portions of the galaxy but not very close to the inner parts of the galaxy. The observed abundances are dramatically smaller in the few regions very close to the Galactic Center submitted to intense photodissociation from the UV radiation of starburst clusters of massive stars.

Source

Oh Hai, look who didn't think in three dimensions.

Do try to understand what you're talking about.

So if I understand you correctly, and I think in three dimensions in the way you just did with saying that your thumb has a diameter greater than the sun at the right position, to debunk the size of the coma actually seen from the Earth my millions of people...

then if I stand about 10-15 feet from you (remember, the right position), spread my thumb and forefinger about one inch about six inches from my eye, and view your head between my thumb and forefinger and play head squishy..lol; then by your 3D standards and positions I can say that your head is only one inch long?!?

All kidding aside, these people did see this with a naked eye from Earth and it is documented as galactix linked, that the coma was indeed roughly the diameter of the sun.

Here is another link of this documentation:

spaceweather.com

You have to admit, we are all learning something here; I admit I am. I'm not ashamed to be wrong and learn something. This is interactive learning, much more productive than sitting in front of a television. These discussions make us go research and learn. This is a great thing!!

~ Noah

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by noah1111

It's open space. Hydrogen just sort of flows everywhere. Simply because there's so much of it. You'd have to go to the very depths of deep space, far from any galaxy, to get a real vacuum.

All kidding aside, these people did see this with a naked eye from Earth and it is documented as galactix linked, that the coma was indeed roughly the diameter of the sun.

Has to be wrong than. Because a cloud is not going to maintain its location at that distance. A planet the size of Pluto barely manages to get caught in the gravity field of the sun. You explain to me the math of how a comet coma can get larger than the sun, in physical diameter. You explain to me that, and I'll say you're right.

Because right now, the math says that's impossible. That the gravity of the coma simply does not exist to maintain such a coma. You wouldn't have a coma longer than a few miles. So to say you'd have a 865,000 miles long coma is nothing short if ignorant of scientific laws of gravity.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Gravity has very little to do with a diffuse ball of gas and dust but the solar wind does disperse it like the wind in the atmosphere disperses a cloud of smoke.
www2.ess.ucla.edu...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

reply to post by noah1111

Has to be wrong than. Because a cloud is not going to maintain its location at that distance. A planet the size of Pluto barely manages to get caught in the gravity field of the sun. You explain to me the math of how a comet coma can get larger than the sun, in physical diameter. You explain to me that, and I'll say you're right.

"not going to maintain its location at that distance".

If we consider gravity as the only active force, then, yes, that is absolutely correct. However; if the particles in question are ions (and we know they are cuz we measure 'water content' with radio scopes looking at emissions bands for hydroxil radicals [ionic O-H pairs]) and if their [these particles] mass is very small compared to their charge, then capturing and holding a coma that big depends on the size of the magnetic (or electric) field surrounding the comet nucleus.

fields apply HUGE forces to conductive matter in comparison to gravity.

the math is described in the imaginary plane, a recently created logical tool that baffles most people, including myself.

did you know that voyager has measured (passed thru) HUGE magnetic fields outside the technical boundary of Sol's influence? Did you know that this 'scout' is actually speeding up for no apparent reason?

so many questions.....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And to that end, if they are not orbiting around each other, but just orbiting all on the same orbit as individuals, long having been disconnected from any significant gravity of each other, than it is indeed just a belt of cloud, some time in the future destined to become a ring.

It's not a coma any more. It's a debris field, expanding from taking on a huge collision.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

As Phage has pointed out to me, it's expanded and dissipated. IE, it's not really a coma, caught up by the entity. It's a debris field. In space, an explosion keeps the speed and just keeps expanding.

So it's not a mystery, and I don't know why you're bringing in magnetism to something irrelevant to it.

To return to this being something caused by electricity, that's pretty debunked.

Set a grenade off in space and it will have a diameter bigger than the sun eventually two. It's no longer one item. It's just gravity working on the individual molecules, all caught in the same orbit.

Once again, no mystery. I Admit I didn't know that the dust cloud was bigger than the sun but you all were advertising it as if it was some mystery that still exists. No. It's an explosion.... In space. No resistance. Again, if I sneezed in space, that too would eventually have a diameter bigger than the sun.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

No collision.
A release of gas and dust from the nucleus. Holmes is known to do that.
cometography.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Pressure all the same though. External or internal. Boom, expanding in the limitless void of space.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
why did it come from the back of the sun and what happened ? There where frames cut out in each video so i don't know

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
there is speculation, I believe, that the brown dwarf, that is meant to be visiting us shortly, lies behind the sun and will appear in earth orbit, coming from below the earths ecliptic, from the south west I believe. whether thus is true I have no idea. but to speculate. following the electric model of the cosmos and of comets and large moving bodies, i wonder of there is something massive on the far side of the sun that has caused this eruption. it would then be a classic discharge if the solar capacitor that JIm maccanney so often speaks about. Now, if the sun and this CME are spinning in our direction and maybe the large body causing it, should we not be concerned??maybe the so called killshot of Ed Dames!!!!!!!

I have a wide open mind and no set beliefs by the way. Not enough data.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
nice shot.

The comet looks so radially symmetric, i could almost see an atom nucleus with it's electron cloud stratifying into their respective quantized energetic orbits.

here's a solar explosion :

i sure wish i could hop over to 17P/Holmes and thro a few of my hall effect sensors at it.....or a few magnets.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join