It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladmir Putin proposes "Eurasian Union"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Recently came across this. What do you guys think?

russiaprofile.org...

“It’s got more to do with the need to anchor Russia as a center of power – the Russians want to be seen as an important hub between Europe and the Pacific,” he said. “You could say that a great deal of Russian history is at work here, going back centuries – the need to have a zone of interest is absolutely no question, and if in the process they stop an important part of the former Soviet space, such as Ukraine, from integrating with the EU, they would see that as very much to their advantage.”

It also appears as though there have been demonstrations and arrests.

Russian police detain 24 opposition activists (AP) – 32 minutes ago MOSCOW (AP) — Russian police have brutally dispersed an opposition rally in Moscow. Police spokesman Gennady Bugachyov said 24 people were detained Tuesday. Riot police broke up the protest outside a subway station minutes after the activists formed a chain and started chanting slogans against Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. The protesters also tried to unfurl banners criticizing upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections. The police were seen twisting protesters' arms and forcing them into police vans. Putin is expected to reclaim the presidency, raising the possibility he could prolong his increasingly authoritarian rule through 2024. Popular support for liberal opposition groups is minimal in Russia. Authorities regularly ban or break up their rallies. Copyright © 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

edit on 4-10-2011 by BeforeTheHangmansNoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BeforeTheHangmansNoose

That sounds like trouble for the Western powers. Russia, India, and China teamed up with other rising powers such as Iran and Turkey could even possibly cause improved relations with many of the nations in the European Union. This would give everyone less reason to use the greenback as the preferred currency. This does not sound good for USA.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
BRILLIANT! Then they could still refer to it as EU! It'll save a TON on letterhead.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I can't see it working! Putin hates the Jews! not being racist. He has essentially outlawed jews in his country. I can't see him teaming up with Europe or china unless they agreed to banish jews as well! Just saying! I could maybe see China doing it, but Europe.....Naw not a chance!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I hear the sharp tattoo of war drums beating.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You may want to look at the comments posted on this subject at

Eurasian Union

new topics

top topics

join