It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

APNewsBreak: Obama seeks debt collector proposal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
So,,, if they get their Wish,,, Your cell number will no longer be safe, That Ringing from you Cell Phone Could Be A Bill Collector or a Auto Dial, I think their called robo-calls .
Why is this even being considered you may ask.
They want you to pay back that Student Loan or Other Monies Owed to the Government.
No, it does not matter that you're not paying because, There's No Jobs!

Let's face it, some people do not have Land-Line phone anymore and one reason, Bill Collectors the other reason,,,, The Phone Company and the Government TAXES you so Badly you can't afford a phone.

YOU OWE ME!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- To the dismay of consumer groups and the discomfort of Democrats, President Barack Obama wants Congress to make it easier for private debt collectors to call the cellphones of consumers delinquent on student loans and other billions owed the federal government.

Why are the Loans Delinquent?

at a time when the economy is weak, unemployment is high and Obama is embarking on his campaign for re-election.

The Good Old,,, The Change,,, Yes How Is That Hope and Change Working For You?

The change "is expected to provide substantial increases in collections, particularly as an increasing share of households no longer have landlines and rely instead on cellphones," the administration wrote recently. The little-noticed recommendation would apply only to cases in which money is owed the government, and is tucked into the mammoth $3 trillion deficit-reduction plan the president submitted to Congress.

Source: hosted.ap.org...
You can also read this article at:drudgereport.com...
look for the article tilted : YOU OWE ME!
edit on 4-10-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2011 by guohua because: spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Obama and the Democrats have never seen a tax they didn't like, and if they can thump someone into paying, they will.

My 18 year old son is trying to start his own business, and between taxes, permits, and regulations, he's getting VERY discourages by the process.

I pay my bills, and if I were to lose my job, the first thing to go would be my land line and my cell phones to save costs. I'd get a pre-paid phone for employment searching only. I'd conduct my job searches over email as much as possible.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

So then the Do-Not-Call lists for cell phones would be void? What a crock of crap if true. I am glad I don't own a phone of any kind.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
handing us over one day at a time, where are the bill collectors for the congressional clowns that spend and spend on the wars and no bid contracts ?? the government cant pay its bills and now it wants more from the rest of us who are still floating in this sh*t storm, screw occupying wall street im occupying my local state senators office n dropping a double decker right in his john, sending his maid louise home early so harry reid can get a taste of having to sacrifice his time and dignity to clean up someone elses fat greedy stinky joke !!!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
How dare they try to find ways to collect money that I legally owe them! There are jobs everywhere, just not jobs that many out of work Americans are willing to do!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This is very disappointing news. Guess we know how Obama plans on paying for his jobs bill. I clearly see the strategy here: Get people back to work so the government can collect the money it is owed that they cannot collect by withholding tax returns for the lower class. How can Americans expect to climb back into the middle class when the deck is stacked against them? Lets be clear here about what the collection business is. It is a circular scheme designed to sap money from the poorest of Americans. As somebody with inside knowledge of the collection game I see the same process repeat itself time after time. First, a person enters into an agreement with the collector who collects a large commission for getting the debtor to pay up from the company where the debt originated. The company pays its workers a small percentage of that commission (and as close to hourly minimum wage as possible) while the executives roll in the rest of the dough like any other corporation does. Then, the debtor pays until something forces them to break the agreement (in my experience it is one of three things 1) a loss of job 2) medical expenses 3) changing of the seasons leading to higher utility bills.) Next, the collection company takes the debtor to court which forces them to enter into another agreement. They collect another commission check from the company where the debt originated from. And then the debtor relapses into the court system again. Happens all the time.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Does that mean I can then call Obama and ask for MY money?
(I'll call him in the middle of dinner!
)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
How dare they try to find ways to collect money that I legally owe them! There are jobs everywhere, just not jobs that many out of work Americans are willing to do!

That is just not true, I will give one quote that I have heard time and time again, 'I'm sorry, your just to over qualified for this position'....It isn't that we aren't willing to do it, they won't let us....because of screwed up point about us not being happy, what with making a pay check and keeping those bill collectors at bay....right, I would be happy to have a basic job, any job, that brings money in. The fact is it is a smoke and mirror show regarding jobs: the number available, your ability to gain said jobs, and the true unemployment rate.

The fact that anyone can say something that callous shows you have not been in this situation, and have experienced none of it. If you had spent even six months in this frustrating job market, your attitude would be significantly different.
edit on 4-10-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
gotta agree here the democrats never met a tax they didnt like

hey obama raised taxes on smokers to do what? pay for some childrens programs

blood money

and phones? cell phones? par for the course

god forbid they cut spending tax tax tax is the only thing they know how to do

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

We feel your pain out here in rural Illinois. Most of the jobs here are temp jobs. Anyone who has ever had a temp job can tell you it is unpredictable. The dates they plan on keeping you change regularly. Good luck with your search kind sir. Hopefully these are NOT the kind of jobs Obama will announce. Infrastructure rebuilding is necessary but what good will those jobs do 10 years-15 years from now?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enoch8307
reply to post by pointr97

We feel your pain out here in rural Illinois. Most of the jobs here are temp jobs. Anyone who has ever had a temp job can tell you it is unpredictable. The dates they plan on keeping you change regularly. Good luck with your search kind sir. Hopefully these are NOT the kind of jobs Obama will announce. Infrastructure rebuilding is necessary but what good will those jobs do 10 years-15 years from now?

Thank you, it is just a sad state when a military vet, is under eviction(not even 30 days late on the rent, they waste no time kicking you to the road). That is qualified as a director of operations down to a fry cook, can't find a job. Yet the social safety nets are a bad thing, the whole system is designed to take our money and bend us over...period. The system is broken, and it is run by vampires who produce nothing, absolutely nothing that we as a society need....

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97

That is just not true, I will give one quote that I have heard time and time again, 'I'm sorry, your just to over qualified for this position'....It isn't that we aren't willing to do it, they won't let us....because of screwed up point about us not being happy, what with making a pay check and keeping those bill collectors at bay....right, I would be happy to have a basic job, any job, that brings money in. The fact is it is a smoke and mirror show regarding jobs: the number available, your ability to gain said jobs, and the true unemployment rate.

The fact that anyone can say something that callous shows you have not been in this situation, and have experienced none of it. If you had spent even six months in this frustrating job market, your attitude would be significantly different.
edit on 4-10-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

Oh, I've been in the situation. I was employed by American Airlines and was laid off after 9/11. So I went on unemployment until I got a job making minimum wage at a grocery store. Within the next three years I had been promoted numerous times, gone back to school, and completed by Bachelors Degree at night. I then took temporary jobs, some lasting a few weeks, some a few months, until I landed my current job five years ago.

I understand the job market sucks overall, but I chose to have the amount of debt I carry, and there have been plenty of times in my life that it was a struggle to determine which bills to pay and which to put off another month. That debt is my responsibility and those lenders expect to be paid. The point of this thread is that it is apparently b.s. that someone can call you and demand payment for debts owed. Well, that's too bad. I've been through the whole thing. I've delt with creditors and collections agents, but I owed the debts. Eventually, I paid those debts, but I still have a high student loan balance and a high credit card balance. If I find myself unemployed again in the future, that's still my debt and I still owe it as I agreed to when I took the money.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I guess this will create jobs. Fill all the FEMA camps that everybody is talking about with people that cant pay there bills. I think they call them debtor prisons.IS this part of the plan to rule.?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Those jobs are for the illegal immigrants, the social security and payroll taxes make sure of that.

I can pay an illegal immigrant $15 an hour and it will still be cheaper than paying an American citizen $10 an hour (especially in California) thanks to all the crap the government puts on business.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
My problem here isn't the fact that Obama want's to collect on money. But rather the fact that he's now going to allow robots to auto-dial cellular phones. And unlike Europe where it usually doesn't cost the receiver a dime to answer a call, can you imagine the money wasted on the receivers end? If he's not paying you for tuition fees owed, there's a good chance he probably doesn't have money to fill up that pay as you go phone either.

But next up on the agenda, email spam from gov.co...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flint2011
reply to post by guohua

So then the Do-Not-Call lists for cell phones would be void? What a crock of crap if true. I am glad I don't own a phone of any kind.

Apparently, if they get this passed, No phone you own will be safe.
You could get called at 04: am and like another poster stated, at Dinner Time. You have your cell phone at work with you? You get called there to.
I think some of us have had the Very Annoying Personal Bill Collector Call and they threaten to take your House, Car all your savings and call your Boss and Dig-Up your Dead Mother and look for Gold in her teeth.

I guess Obuma is OK with that, if it gets him more money for more Vacations or Shoes for the family.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
7-11 is about to get rich selling $20 pre paid cell phones.

I mean really, like you cant just call your carrier and change your number? Is Obama a complete boob?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I would like to remind all of you, Your Cell Phone Doubles as an G P S unit.
From what I understand, the Smart Phones every one As To Have can track you to just a few yards.
Yes a Bill Collector looking to embarrass you or send the Repo Man after that New Car you have not payed for.
That's right, miss your payment and be out on a date with the one person you Really Want To Impress and come out and Look Stupid because you can not find your car.

If your smartphone has a GPS, a stalker could pinpoint the phone's precise location any time it's on with GPS enabled.

Source: electronics.howstuffworks.com...

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised

"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers

Source: www.guardian.co.uk...

And Last But Not Lest,,,,,, Just think,,, All this will be Possible with the Obama Administration and Even MORE!

FollowMee GPS Tracker tracks location of a smartphone. It records its location (GPS, WiFi, or Cellular) periodically and uploads to our secured server automatically. Current and past location is available for viewing on our web site. This app runs in background. Once started, it runs by itself and it does not require any user interaction. By using this app, you can track or spy your children, your spouse, or other family members. In additions, you can use it to track your lost smartphone.

TextTrack your son, daughter, husband, wife, or other family members

Monitor whereabouts of your older family members who can get lost easily

Source: www.followmee.com...

Now My Friends, Try and Keep you Payment Current to your Obama Government Motors Car, Or you'll exit that movie theater and have to look Shocked and Scream,,,, Who Stole My CAR!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
7-11 is about to get rich selling $20 pre paid cell phones.

I mean really, like you cant just call your carrier and change your number? Is Obama a complete boob?

I'm Sure 7/11 is Foaming at the Mouth about this, That would not be a $20. prepaid card it would be a $25. prepaid card.
Your phone company will just send your new number to the Obama Thugs and They'll get paid a little Extra for each new number to send.
They'll sell you out in a Heart Beat to get an extra Dollar from his Highness and a Pat on the Head!

edit on 4-10-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
that's one angry elitist. fighting for poor, misunderstood and good hearted businesses like visa, american express and mastercard.

all they ever wanted to do was loan you money so you could buy the necessities of life when times were hard. like ipads and iphones every year, 120" hi def t.v.'s and christmas presents no one uses, so useful in fact, most people don't remember what they got last year.

and for their generosity, all these companies asked of you was to pay them back with 35% interest.

buy the way organized crime only charges 1-2% weekly.

edit on 4-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join