It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attention Occupy Wall Street Kids! Obama seeks debt collector proposal

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
For those of you protesting about your student loans, and big bankers etc and financial equality... and to those who are shouting for Obama's Reelection... and to those Columbia University Students complaining about your student loan debt to a university that costs $30k plus a year to attend.... PAY ATTENTION!!

o the dismay of consumer groups and the discomfort of Democrats, President Barack Obama wants Congress to make it easier for private debt collectors to call the cellphones of consumers delinquent on student loans and other billions owed the federal government.

This is the change aspect of Hope and Change. The Obama admin. wants your money. Surprised??

The change "is expected to provide substantial increases in collections, particularly as an increasing share of households no longer have landlines and rely instead on cellphones," the administration wrote recently. The little-noticed recommendation would apply only to cases in which money is owed the government, and is tucked into the mammoth $3 trillion deficit-reduction plan the president submitted to Congress.

You can run, you can protest, you can blog and tweet. But you can no longer hide..

Whatever the impact on the budget deficit, the proposal has aligned the White House with the private debt collection industry - frequently the subject of consumer complaints - at a time when the economy is weak, unemployment is high and Obama is embarking on his campaign for re-election.

The big Dems on the Hill ie. Pelosi, Reid and Durbin are mum on this new proposal

Just a sign of the times and the numbers are staggering. This is the ugly side of out of control Govt. spending. They have to find ways to pay for it.

The request comes at a time when the government is looking for ways to collect tens of billions of dollars.

According to a report by the Treasury Department's Financial Management Service, the Education and the Health and Human Services departments as well as FMS itself referred debts totaling $35.9 billion to private debt collectors in the 2010 fiscal year.

The Education Department accounted for the largest share by far - $28.8 billion referred to 22 private debt collection companies. The firms collected $685 million outright, and another $1.7 billion was recast into agreements that are designed to be paid monthly, according to the report.

hosted.ap.org...

Is it time to move your protest from Wall Street to Pennsylvania ave. yet? That's where you belong.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It's kind of funny that the Obama administration ran the ads on Craigslist targeting college students (Earn $5,000.00 for school helping Obama pass healthcare) to protest for healthcare......and then, in the health care bill, the student loans were entirely restructured, causing angst among college students.

It's as if they are targeting the naive, young and inexperienced to make their plan work!
I think it's happening again.....(Twilight Zone theme music)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
"Change you can believe in!"

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Nice little shot across the bow, eh. Glad I didn't rely on student loans to get through two degrees and a college certificate although I was so broke during those ten years, the only thing I could pay was attention.

Life's a circle, though. By the time Obama's reign ends, I Hope I have a little bit of Change left to at least grab a cup of coffee to enjoy from my box under an overpass.

Somehow I do not believe that's what was supposed to be the result of his Hope and Change campaign slogan.

Oh well . . . same old same old.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
With all due respect, those protesters aren't "kids" they are people of all ages, backgrounds, education, and class. Also your quote -

those who are shouting for Obama's Reelection

- what makes you think that the people protesting are for an Obama reelection? The majority are anti-corporate, anti-establishment and anti-status quo, so why would they vote for Obama who's in bed with wall street? The people protesting are democrats, progressives, independents, some conservatives and radical leftists. They aren't protesting just wall street and capitalistic greed, but are putting the whole system of economics and governance in question.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Chewingonmushrooms

Please watch and listen to this video from Occupy DC. Note the girl in the Harvard Sweatshirt and the Honk if you have a Student loan dude. These are all kids!!

edit on 4-10-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

These protesters have no idea whatsoever. No Clue!!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

You do realize this protest is against wall street and the government, right? It really doesn't matter where the protests are taking place the message is the same.
edit on 4-10-2011 by kjburto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chewingonmushrooms
With all due respect, those protesters aren't "kids" they are people of all ages, backgrounds, education, and class. Also your quote -

those who are shouting for Obama's Reelection

- what makes you think that the people protesting are for an Obama reelection? The majority are anti-corporate, anti-establishment and anti-status quo, so why would they vote for Obama who's in bed with wall street? The people protesting are democrats, progressives, independents, some conservatives and radical leftists. They aren't protesting just wall street and capitalistic greed, but are putting the whole system of economics and governance in question.

deleted after further consideration..:
edit on 4-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kjburto

It is clearly over your head. It all originates in DC, from legislation to enforcement...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

Please watch and listen to this video from Occupy DC. Note the girl in the Harvard Sweatshirt and the Honk if you have a Student loan dude. These are all kids!!

Your thread indicates that you are speaking about the occupy movement, of which you stated on the thread title Occupy Wall Street. I pointed to the fact that you generalized the protesters as "college kids" which is challenged by observation and photo and video proof shown else where. You then link a video about DC occupy and use that as an example of a larger movement and one that is far from the Wall street occupy. Nothing from what I see in the original thread post notes DC occupy specifically. No doubt that college students are in the for front of this movement; look at history and you will see that the people of college age are usually at the forefront of any movement used to change the current status quo. But to call all of the protesters kids, and imply that they are Obama supporters is just plain wrong.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2011 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Its all part of the same group that originated in NYC. They are meeting in Columbus, Seattle, DC, Chicago and cities in between. Let's just call it the confused "Occupy Whatever" movement.

In all of the recent footage I see mostly college kids hence my address to those kids who are holding signs referring to their student loans. Which relates to this move to hunt the delinquent student loan debtors. One of which in the video wants to see Obama get reelected.

Again no clue!! and confusion.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
when we go to war with iran or china, all of these kids with student loan debts will be given the option of prison or military service.

why do you think they made it so easy to get a student loan check in a time when there are no jobs?

first they got rid of the jobs knowing all the kids would go to school, now that they are out all they have is a debt.

its also no coincidence half of them sit around playing call of duty. its called pre-training

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Clearly over my head eh okay. And protesting the government has worked so well up to now. I see no problem with expanding the protest to other involved in the problems and clearly the banks and wall street are one of the main problems with the challenges we currently face. They provide the money that is used to buy the politicians. So in your view only protest those who take the money and not the people who provide the money and buy the politicians to pass bills and policies for their own good. Its obviously way over your head. Also you use 2 people in a youtube video to prove your point that all the protesters are obama supporters or am I wrong that's what it looks like you think.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

Interesting angle!! Behold the dumbed down Gen Y population. The comments in the video say it all.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Obama is no better then Bush, no better then the rest of the ilk.

POTUS is NOT looking out for you!

Looking out for number one and his buddy corporations.

Thanks for everything POTUS!! Thank you for allowing the debt collectors
to hassle people easier.. what would we ever do without you POTUS?!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
with people abandoning their debt (mortgages, car loans, student debt, etc) I wonder how long before talk of debtors prison comes up.

oh wait it has

According to the story, more than a third of all U.S. states allow borrowers who can’t or won’t pay to be jailed. Judges have signed off on more than 5,000 such warrants since the start of 2010 in nine counties.

On the rise of debtors prison

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

The only one that is confused seems to be you. You obviously cannot wrap your head around the thought that a movement might have people from all different walks of life and political alliances that can come together and protest something they all can agree upon. That's what this movement looks like to me. Its not black and white its all that and more.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

The only one here who appears to not have a clue is yourself, my friend. Wow.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

there is no shortage of funds only the visibility of where those funds are and who controls it. Debt collection should be empowered to the people to regain the Nations prosperity,... the corporation money pit is obviously thriving at the future outlook of generations... OWS seems like agenda driven when you see that the real power behind WS is the gov...

watch that 3 hour video

I wonder that unions jump on the OWS bandwagon... labor party birthing?

All business... as usual

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Well if they are students and are complaining about loans, then they are indeed misinformed if they think that reeclecting Obama is going to change a thing. It doesn't matter at this point who gets elected IMO because of the state of the country and in some ways the world.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join