It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ben Stein tells audience "Raise Taxes for Rich" and "Don't feel sympathy for the unemployed..."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

He opened the 15th annual Gulf Power Economic Symposium Monday morning.

Stein said one of the most effective ways to put Americans back to work would be to stop unemployment benefits to people after 36 weeks.

“You’re paying them to be unemployed,” Stein said. “Don’t feel sympathy for them. They’re getting a subsidy, they’re taking the money from people who work hard and they’re using it to stay in bed and smoke reefer.”

"Stein said the country could solve its current deficit problem by raising taxes for the rich."

Read more: www.nwfdailynews.com...
edit on 4-10-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
sounds a lil ignorant to me, here i thought he was a smart guy

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

So how does he expect people to go back to work when America is losing
thousands of jobs every day? I swear, some of these so-called celebrities
are soooo out of touch. I'm sure Ben Stein doesn't have anything to
worry about. And then there's the middle class...turning into the poor.
Ignorance is bliss.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
What Stein says is true. At least, if there were jobs to be had it is. If there are no jobs to be had ending unemployment benefits would not incentivize a return to work since there is no work. Rather, it would incentivize crime.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I wonder how much Gulf Power gets in subsidies every year while turning a profit.
How bout we end corporate welfare first. They're obviously not using that extra cash to create new jobs.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by DJM8507

Win Ben Steins money! Then you can smoke reefer all day.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ben Stein is a total douche and must be a paid shill. Just watch any of his documentaries.

I do party agree with him here though, lots of people who were making a decent living seem to prefer to remain on unemployment rather than take a job that is "beneath" them.

If you could make $500 a week sitting in bed "smoking reefer" or $500 a week at your local Gas-N-Go, which would you choose? The era of personal responsibility has ended, apparently.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Ben Stein is a total douche and must be a paid shill. Just watch any of his documentaries.

I do party agree with him here though, lots of people who were making a decent living seem to prefer to remain on unemployment rather than take a job that is "beneath" them.

If you could make $500 a week sitting in bed "smoking reefer" or $500 a week at your local Gas-N-Go, which would you choose? The era of personal responsibility has ended, apparently.

I didnt know you could pull $2000 a month from unemployment.
That's more than I thought.

However, the real question is where is this magical place in the US that I can afford to live on $500 a week, stay in bed and smoke this ungodly cheep reefer Ben speaks of?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one
Reply to post by DJM8507

Win Ben Steins money! Then you can smoke reefer all day.

Like old benny boy doesn't hit the cheebah...

HE ALWAYS LOOKS HIGH!!

There going to run all the rich off out of the country, some say that may be a good thing
but them rich people own the businesses and are the ones able to invest in new ones...
WITHOUT RICH PEOPLE we would be living in mud huts like they do in africa where you wipe your ass
with hands and live with baby eating sized rats!!!
edit on 4-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Yes my 69 year old aunt who was fired from a job with medical benefits and is now using the unemployment mostly to pay for cobra and now cant find work (probably due to her age) is just taking advantage of the system, shame on her working all her life, paying taxes and expecting any help from her POS government.

All these rich people telling the poor and middle class how to act and what they should be doing are going to wake up one day to a big surprise, history repeats it self when you forget the lessons of the past.
edit on 4-10-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

BadNinja - fileunemployment.org...

I was on unemployment for 3 months about 4-5 years ago. I was getting $500 a week. It was much less than my normal salary.

I live on around $2500 a month. This includes my house payment, all utilities, food, fuel, entertainment, my son.. I make more than that. The rest is saved. I would rather have money in the bank than a sweet car in the drive way. You could easily live on $2000 a month and still pay for "reefer" in most states. Easily.

My grandmother is on SS, and she lives on about $1400 a month.

My 10 year old daughter made over $400 last month walking dogs! I mention this to point out that ANYONE can make money, and can make a little extra on the side if only they'd get off their fat, Dancing With the Stars watching butts.

I also don't eat fast food or junk food, and make all our meals at home from scratch. I save quite a bit of money and am healthier because of it. $2000 a month is more than enough if you are even halfway responsible.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
the guy sounds like an idiot and lost all credibility he had.

Sure there are the bad ones out there that milk it for all its worth with no intention of getting back to work, but these days there are tons of people who cant even get a job at mcdonalds, and the ones who do finally get a job are making minimum wage.

Get off your high horse Stein, cough up all your dough and tell us how easy it is.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I guess if everyone is sitting home smoking reefer on unemployment maybe I should go into selling reefer?

What a maroon as Bugs would say.
The answer will never be found the end is planned and is inevitable, this was not by default it was by design. They know the markets going to crash and they want it to, all the policies of the past 3 years proves this to be so.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

I didnt know you could pull $2000 a month from unemployment.
That's more than I thought.

However, the real question is where is this magical place in the US that I can afford to live on $500 a week, stay in bed and smoke this ungodly cheep reefer Ben speaks of?

Ugg in Mich I' pretty sure max you can get a month was 300....or maybe that was a week.

But 2,000 is a lot.... a month

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

I think it's $300.00 a week in Mi. I'm pretty sure that's what my husband got when he was unemployed.
Thankfully, that didn't last long.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In Florida it is around $275/week and they are linking the weeks you can claim it to unemployment so starting next year the max you can collect state benefits would be 23 weeks at 10.5% unemployment. Governor Rick Scott cut the benefits to pay for corporate tax cuts. He also made it a lot harder to even get benefits allowing corporations/businesses to be found "in the right" with workers having to build a case for the benefits. He even added a provision that an individual could be denied unemployment if they are found to have misconduct in their private life, outside of work.

Those on Unemployment that I have personally seen tend to be living with friends or relatives as there is no way to support a family on around $1,100/month. Plus you can only collect a maximum of $5,500 in Florida.

Will be interesting to see what really happens when the middle class is gone and they and their families are forced into a hungry, homeless corner with nothing to lose.
edit on 4-10-2011 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by BadNinja68

BadNinja - fileunemployment.org...

I was on unemployment for 3 months about 4-5 years ago. I was getting $500 a week. It was much less than my normal salary.

I live on around $2500 a month. This includes my house payment, all utilities, food, fuel, entertainment, my son.. I make more than that. The rest is saved. I would rather have money in the bank than a sweet car in the drive way. You could easily live on $2000 a month and still pay for "reefer" in most states. Easily.

My grandmother is on SS, and she lives on about $1400 a month.

My 10 year old daughter made over $400 last month walking dogs! I mention this to point out that ANYONE can make money, and can make a little extra on the side if only they'd get off their fat, Dancing With the Stars watching butts.

I also don't eat fast food or junk food, and make all our meals at home from scratch. I save quite a bit of money and am healthier because of it. $2000 a month is more than enough if you are even halfway responsible.

I live in Cali, and own my own very small business.
I have no clue what unemployment pays. Never needed it.
I've worked all my life.
I do know that $500 a week won't feed a family in most states, much less allow the freedom and luxury Ben suggests

Im from Georgia, so Ive lived both extremes... very expensive, and not so expensive. due to income levels available, it's about the even.

My point is this:

If Ben Stein thinks that $500 a week allows a family to sit at home, in bed, with bills paid, and smoke pot all day he's an idiot.

That's like saying sell your summer home and use the equity to get off welfare.
Moron.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
What does Ben Stein know about being unemployed?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

He wrote speeches for Nixon. He is not unaffiliated in the political realm. I normally don't buy into the "shill" finger pointing but, in this case, he may actually be getting reimbursed for spreading this particular sentiment.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ben Stein needs to be slapped upside the head.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join