It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: growing up in bad neighborhoods has a devastating impact

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

imo equal has never existed the property tax system might as well have been designed to keep poor people poor.

equal means police/fire/education/infrastructure money gets spent per capita/greatest need. i agree with you throwing money into a broken system is pointless and any real change would be gradual .but untill we agree the present system needs replacing and come up with a system that evolves towards permanent/steady improvement we will keep getting more of the same.

consider the money spent on the police departments of beverly hills vs compton. theres no crime in one vs the other at one point was a war zone. one has the a very modern well equiped/trained police force as well as a lot of private security, alarms, walls etc the other has an understaffed under equiped under funded police force. guess where all the crime occured(yes i realise bh has some crime which would you want to walk to school in?)

what about most modern best equiped schools best trained teachers?ive heard of those in wealthy towns yet to see that in a ghetto. ive seen rich schools with swimming pools(imagine the insurance costs alone) right next to poor schools without enough books its total bull s@#t.

anyway untill we equalise all sevices(not just dollars) for at least 20 years you cant really say we tried or we know that it wont work.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I was thinking of this thread last night when I heard that Steve Jobs passed..I mean, that guy started with nothing, and changed the world, so we KNOW that anyone can come from anywhere, and do anything. BUT...ask yourself this..if steve jobs were black...would he have gotten the chances he got in order to do what he did? would a black steve jobs, same brilliance, same background, same charisma, same everything, sans skin color, be ALLOWED to go forward as a white steve jobs did?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonseeker
I was thinking of this thread last night when I heard that Steve Jobs passed..I mean, that guy started with nothing, and changed the world, so we KNOW that anyone can come from anywhere, and do anything. BUT...ask yourself this..if steve jobs were black...would he have gotten the chances he got in order to do what he did? would a black steve jobs, same brilliance, same background, same charisma, same everything, sans skin color, be ALLOWED to go forward as a white steve jobs did?
I don't see why not. Since the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Black people have been on an equal if not slightly better footing than Whites.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen3273676

Honestly, who in their right mind would want to be a teacher or a police officer in one of these neighborhoods?

These neighborhoods weren't always ghettos. The people who live there made them what they are, then have the audacity to complain about the terrible living conditions...

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwing48
I don't see why not. Since the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Black people have been on an equal if not slightly better footing than Whites.

oh wow. This one right here takes the cake!!

I apologize for arguing with you before, I was told a long time ago that arguing with fools is a no no

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Legislating equality, in my opinion, never worked. sure, you can point to affirmative action. in some individual cases, black people got positions, or special consideration for college admission etc..but it NEVER evened the playing field. the fight isn't in the numbers of this or that; who got what, when or how. the REAL decisions that are made on whether people advance in whatever profession, or not, has to do with how those in authority above such a person perceives them. the worst racists I've ever dealt within my life were beloved by everyone in our(mostly white) circle. their racist side would always come out when they were drinking, or when no one else was around to corrobrate what was said to me. that's how racists do it now. it's not openly acceptable to be racist, so it's all stealth, code language, and untraceable actions..but it still happens.

The '64 civil rights acts can't make people accept those who they don't want to accept, or understand those they don't want to understand. and since black people as a culture lag so far behind in the "upper' positions of ANY profession, including where we are overepresented, like sports, music, entertainment..there aren't enough of us in real decision-making and world-shaping positions to counter this behavior. I mean, when it's 2011 and people find it worthy of note that there are black QB's and black coaches in the NFL..or black NBA coaches..lol..I work in the film biz(actor) and let me tell you, the white male network is in full effect. few black agents, casting directors, film execs. there are some who are quite powerful; others who have the job "on paper" but who aren't truly "in the room" if you know what I mean. and, as a black actor..if you have conflict with this network..they can and will gang up and destroy your ass, for no other reason than they can. so yes, discrimination exists in many forms, is expressed in many ways, that no piece of legislation could ever hope to address. So, understanding that, don't you think that a black steve jobs would have had a MUCH rougher go of it? would people be so enamored with their Iphone's if they knew a "brother" invented it? keep in mind, apple is a LIFESTYLE brand. cool tech, sure, but it's that cool, "I have money and I'm better than you, sandy beach, working from vacation with a drink in my hand from my villa in italy" feel that makes people wait in line all night to get one. if a black guy was behind it all do you think white america would do that?

I'm guessing "no".
edit on 6-10-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Did a team of circus monkeys work around the clock to work this out ?

Think its kinda obvious that if you live in the "bad part of town" chances are you will get sucked in and dragged down, either by peer pressure or just simply by needing to survive. That's not to say all people live by those rules as a lot of people do better themselves and break away from it and go on to live a successful and happy life.

Its just like saying if you live in a certain area , chances are you will end up supporting the local team. Not always true but it happens more often than not.

Lots of rich kids get drawn into crime through one reason or the other but the majority of the ones that live in affluent areas do not. Makes perfect sense to me or am i missing something here ?

edit on 6/10/11 by Rule34 because: Typo

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Yes. Look at Russell Simmons. That man even wrote a book called Super Rich: A Guide To Having It All. Here is a list of some black entrepreneurs.www.blackentrepreneurprofile.com...

In this day and age, yes. 50 years ago, we could say no, but not today.

I forgot to mention Oprah Winfrey. We might not all agree with what she says sometimes but she certainly has a lot of respect from a lot of people.

edit on 10/6/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Yes. Look at Russell Simmons. That man even wrote a book called Super Rich: A Guide To Having It All. Here is a list of some black entrepreneurs.www.blackentrepreneurprofile.com...

I forgot to mention Oprah Winfrey. We might not all agree with what she says sometimes but she certainly has a lot of respect from a lot of people.

sure. I'm familiar with the list and russell simmons is a great example. problem is..those example are comparatively few. another thing that's an issue, going back to the self and same hate comment I made earlier, is that of those black folks who DO make it, only a small percentage of them(russell is one) give back and uplift. my community is disjointed, it's not working together for a common goal like you see in other cultures. hope everyone understands that, I'm not coming from a place of blaming others; I'm very "bill cosby" when I look at my people, objective and critical. just would like to hash this out. I want everyone to be successful, and if black america ever got it in gear..americans of all cultures would benefit enormously..

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   

sure. I'm familiar with the list and russell simmons is a great example. problem is..those example are comparatively few. another thing that's an issue, going back to the self and same hate comment I made earlier, is that of those black folks who DO make it, only a small percentage of them(russell is one) give back and uplift. my community is disjointed, it's not working together for a common goal like you see in other cultures. hope everyone understands that, I'm not coming from a place of blaming others; I'm very "bill cosby" when I look at my people, objective and critical. just would like to hash this out. I want everyone to be successful, and if black america ever got it in gear..americans of all cultures would benefit enormously..

I think what I hear you asking us is this, would the black community allow a black Steve Jobs to go forward? I know some young black men who worked very hard in college while his peers called him (forgive me for saying it, just trying to point out the term for people to understand) Uncle Tom (nothing intended there, just pointing out what they called him).

I don't know how to address that issue. But I think it helps when young black people are exposed to a wider world experience that helps them see beyond the place where they are. I know a lot of very intelligent and hard-working young black people that I tutored in college. They seemed to speak with two different types of communication, one with each other in the groups they mingled with, and the other was used when speaking with instructors or administration.

I think you can tell by how I write in here the type of communication I use. And as an English tutor, my job was to help these students write essays according to academic standards. I had to look past where they were from and tried to help them understand that same concept. If you want to become a professional, you have to speak and write as a professional. But on Facebook, those students who are on my friends list will write in their status things that I have trouble understanding what they are saying.

I do kind of understand most of what you are saying. There needs to be less disconnect between the different groups of people.

I will give the example of one particular student in a conversation about an essay she needed help with "Didn't I explain to you the last three essays that you do not write college essays as if it were a text message?" She replied to me "Who cares, it's just an essay for a class. I hope the teacher will finally give me the A like she gives to the other students".

This English tutor almost had a stroke.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I think what I hear you asking us is this, would the black community allow a black Steve Jobs to go forward? I know some young black men who worked very hard in college while his peers called him (forgive me for saying it, just trying to point out the term for people to understand) Uncle Tom (nothing intended there, just pointing out what they called him).

I don't know how to address that issue. But I think it helps when young black people are exposed to a wider world experience that helps them see beyond the place where they are. I know a lot of very intelligent and hard-working young black people that I tutored in college. They seemed to speak with two different types of communication, one with each other in the groups they mingled with, and the other was used when speaking with instructors or administration.

I think you can tell by how I write in here the type of communication I use. And as an English tutor, my job was to help these students write essays according to academic standards. I had to look past where they were from and tried to help them understand that same concept. If you want to become a professional, you have to speak and write as a professional. But on Facebook, those students who are on my friends list will write in their status things that I have trouble understanding what they are saying.

I do kind of understand most of what you are saying. There needs to be less disconnect between the different groups of people.

I will give the example of one particular student in a conversation about an essay she needed help with "Didn't I explain to you the last three essays that you do not write college essays as if it were a text message?" She replied to me "Who cares, it's just an essay for a class. I hope the teacher will finally give me the A like she gives to the other students".

This English tutor almost had a stroke.

wow, that is just sad..yep, I have found myself, in the past, using two dialects, one for when I was dealing with white "industry" folks, one for black folks. I stopped, and just stuck to my normal way of speaking, which reads "white" to blacks. I decided that if someone wanted to relate to me, they needed to make an effort too, it can't be me changing myself to fit in..I stopped CARING about fitting in, because I'm clearly not MEANT to fit in(which in my line of work is a wonderful thing). I am who I am, and that's it. the black folks(and white folks, I might add since I'm not stereotypically black) who give me # for it are immediately excluded from my life. and, to address what you said re: black people allowing a black steve jobs to go forward..well we've established how such people are treated by the black community. what I'm getting at though, is how white decision-makers would perceive such a person, and would they help or hurt him? the industry itself is a factor. I mean, we're expected to be in entertainment. russell simmons doing well is not a shock. but in steve jobs' world..I wonder. guess we'll see

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave

oh wow. This one right here takes the cake!!

I apologize for arguing with you before, I was told a long time ago that arguing with fools is a no no
I imagine that you have a history of engaging in a lot of self-talk then.. LOL

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Legislating equality, in my opinion, never worked. sure, you can point to affirmative action. in some individual cases, black people got positions, or special consideration for college admission etc..but it NEVER evened the playing field. the fight isn't in the numbers of this or that; who got what, when or how. the REAL decisions that are made on whether people advance in whatever profession, or not, has to do with how those in authority above such a person perceives them. the worst racists I've ever dealt within my life were beloved by everyone in our(mostly white) circle. their racist side would always come out when they were drinking, or when no one else was around to corrobrate what was said to me. that's how racists do it now. it's not openly acceptable to be racist, so it's all stealth, code language, and untraceable actions..but it still happens
So you mean to tell me "racism" is only a White phenomenon? I lived in several minority communities growing up, and I can assure you it's not. Blacks and Hispanics are probably more racist than Whites are nowadays because they can always play the race card when they have no valid arguments to posit.

The '64 civil rights acts can't make people accept those who they don't want to accept, or understand those they don't want to understand. and since black people as a culture lag so far behind in the "upper' positions of ANY profession, including where we are overepresented, like sports, music, entertainment..there aren't enough of us in real decision-making and world-shaping positions to counter this behavior. I mean, when it's 2011 and people find it worthy of note that there are black QB's and black coaches in the NFL..or black NBA coaches..lol..I work in the film biz(actor) and let me tell you, the white male network is in full effect. few black agents, casting directors, film execs. there are some who are quite powerful; others who have the job "on paper" but who aren't truly "in the room" if you know what I mean. and, as a black actor..if you have conflict with this network..they can and will gang up and destroy your ass, for no other reason than they can. so yes, discrimination exists in many forms, is expressed in many ways, that no piece of legislation could ever hope to address. So, understanding that, don't you think that a black steve jobs would have had a MUCH rougher go of it? would people be so enamored with their Iphone's if they knew a "brother" invented it? keep in mind, apple is a LIFESTYLE brand. cool tech, sure, but it's that cool, "I have money and I'm better than you, sandy beach, working from vacation with a drink in my hand from my villa in italy" feel that makes people wait in line all night to get one. if a black guy was behind it all do you think white america would do that?[/quote

I'm guessing "no".

Ask yourself, why do they continue to lag so far behind everyone including Hispanics and Asians? Could it be something more endemic to their cultural attitudes rather than discrimination? When you are given all the opportunities to improve yourself, yet you refuse to do so, who's fault is that? Also, Seeing that we have a Black President, I think your argument about Black people not being able to obtain positions of power is a moot one.

As far the iPhone goes, I don't think people honestly care. It's a piece of technology, and they'd use it whether it was invented by Martin Luther King or Adolph Hitler.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

what I'm getting at though, is how white decision-makers would perceive such a person, and would they help or hurt him? the industry itself is a factor. I mean, we're expected to be in entertainment. russell simmons doing well is not a shock. but in steve jobs' world..I wonder. guess we'll see

Jackie Robinson and Arthur Ashe changed the perception of blacks in sports. They were very professional even during the times when people were very horrible in their treatment of the two. But the decision to allow these two to play were from the white decision makers. Jackie Robinson replaced a white player, Jackie Robinson had to play very well in the first place to even be considered.

Now even though we have a player like Chad Ochocinco, we also have Ben Roethlsberger. For me, professionalism is the number one factor as it is with a lot of white decision makers. If I owned the team that Roethlsberger was on, he would have been taken off the team at the first mention of anything. That is across the board for me. I think for many white people, it is hard to look past the antics of Ochocinco enough to take him serious. And that is what the white decision makers need to say more often, that they are looking for professionalism. And that should be applied across the board. It is changing in the professional world and will continue to do so as long as we move forward as a society.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord
It's probably true for many reasons.

But why are Americans so poor, are they really American?

Because all I see these days on TV are your illegal mexicans saying how poor they are get into gangs yet they should not even be in America.

If America took all the illegals out they might be able to help their own out, but instead they put mexican flags on buildings, demand mexico day while persecuting those with American flags.

The next bizzar thing is this, that saying 'bless you' or saying 'Jesus' aloud gets you into trouble but kids are given homework else where about why it is ok to wear Islamic veils.

You guys over there and no doubt here in the UK need to wake up, because when the big old A-C turns up on the scene he is going to gather an army against you, he will equipt them spiritually, they will be poor and be given riches and they would do anything to betray you and Christ's people in the process.

What the # are you TALKING about??

2nd line.

Exactly dragon slayer what the F--k am I talking about that is how easy it will be won't it because people just can not see it for them selves.

Revelation 12:7
And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.

What I am also going to say is, because I don't say what everyone else is thinking because that is boring I connect arguements that are over seen for the greater understanding of the sitation they could face.

Over the years America has aborted 40 million babies, those babies could have grown up and helped the economy of that country and they too would have gone on to have families but instead they are adopting Mexican and other poor people across the globe to help with their voting systems so your next chosen leaders will be worse than the one before as time goes by.

They are putting pressure on the American people when they should be dealt with first and this increase will only create more bad neighbourhods across the country effecting the youth in the process.

Athieism and faithless people will increase abortions which in it self is like genocide, the problem is that you don't get a second opinion from the a dead baby, maybe the state could have put as much effort looking after them as they do the illgals.
edit on 6-10-2011 by The time lord because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Russell Simmons ? Yea Def Jam have always put out a positive message...OK, maybe not.

Who's next on the list of honours ? Marion "Suge" Knight, Jr.

Is rap/hip hop influencing the future generations ? yea sure it is you'd be silly to say its not. I really do believe that we can shape our own destiny , but in certain situations it becomes neigh on impossible to do it.

I live in London , sure its not the Bronx but you just know where you should and should not go. I was brought up the best way my family could and i went off the rails as a youngster, you know getting into stuff that was best left alone. I loved to spray tags and was into my tunes , then I moved away from that and got into football ( soccer) . wasn't so much the football , more like the football violence. We call them firms , maybe you call them gangs.

I soon realised that wasn't the way i wanted to carry on , joined the British Army and carried on being a violent individual, this time for queen and country. Did my time and came home. These days half my childhood friends are gangsters. I get offers all the time to join the firm .....

What I'm trying to say is , if a person wants to get away from that life style and they get lucky breaks in life they can change. Chances are they wont and they become a product of the environment.

People need education in life skills , but unfortunately but the time they realise that its to late.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It's probably true for many reasons.

But why are Americans so poor, are they really American?

Because all I see these days on TV are your illegal mexicans saying how poor they are get into gangs yet they should not even be in America.

If America took all the illegals out they might be able to help their own out, but instead they put mexican flags on buildings, demand mexico day while persecuting those with American flags.

The next bizzar thing is this, that saying 'bless you' or saying 'Jesus' aloud gets you into trouble but kids are given homework else where about why it is ok to wear Islamic veils.

You guys over there and no doubt here in the UK need to wake up, because when the big old A-C turns up on the scene he is going to gather an army against you, he will equipt them spiritually, they will be poor and be given riches and they would do anything to betray you and Christ's people in the process.

What the # are you TALKING about??

2nd line.

Exactly dragon slayer what the F--k am I talking about that is how easy it will be won't it because people just can not see it for them selves.

Amen and religion needs to go all together, and where has blind faith got us but a country full of illegals?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

they will do it for the money.

in the north east alot of current ghettos used to be rich areas but as property values went down so went basic services, wealthy people are famous for buying up poor areas and selling luxury condos buy low sell high. point is unscrupulous people have helped lower values prior to buying with crime or buying chunks of real estate and leaving them empty(crack house anyone?) harlem was rich became poor and now is on its way to rich. rich people turned harlem into a ghetto not poor people. why? buy low sell high.

imo if the world is run/designed by rich people we should blame rich people and stop pandering about some poor person on welfare when we give way more tax money to corperations, foriegn countrys, evil dictators,banks. sports teams etc. ill help end personal welfare when we stop subsidising banks arms manufacturers etc.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

You can be a dismissive confrontational jerk all you want, but that doesnt change the FACT that what you said is flat out WRONG. Once again, you fill your mouth with nonsense, with an undeserved self-agrandized tone to boot...

Income, poverty, and health insurance: by race included

Here ya go, learn something for once in your life, and then you just might be taken seriously. Time to grow up.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Originally posted by MysticPearl
Do we really need a study to show us this? Really? Doesn't this fall under the category of "no s#, Sherlock"? Growing up in a war zone can have a devastating impact to? Anyone need a study to believe that? Growing up with a drug abusing mom, and a father in prison can also be a devastating impact.

But hey, let's all forget about common sense, and continue paying for these meaningless studies. Money well spent!

Half a High Five to you
Although growing up in a "bad" neighborhood isn't an automatic death sentence so to speak...just speaking from experience.

As you stated you can have crappy parents and turn out to be a complete fool. Maybe you have good parents and still manage to turn out to be a bumbling idiot...just look at George Bush, Jr.
...sorry, I couldn't help myself!

Life starts with your family, regardless of where you are

If I could give you more than one star I would. This is exactly what some of us have been saying all morning. One of my favorite movies is Lean on Me. Joe Clark, the principal of East Side High School in Paterson New Jersey said one of the most profound things...have some self-respect, it begins in how you dress. He said to the students in the cafeteria one morning finding a young man wearing baggy clothes "When you get dressed in the morning and you look in the mirror and you look like this slovenly, sloppy kid, find something else to wear. Self-respect begins with you."

Thank you very much and likewise
I just really get a little irritated when people blame their or someone else's outcome on where they grew up or how little they had because I lived it and I turned out okay due "Specifically" to a very strong family. I was taught how to work hard if I wanted to achieve any goals and be diligent in my endeavors. I was taught to be respectful of others no matter how bad I got put down. I was taught to hold my head high always. If we don't respect ourselves first then what do we expect out of others? What should we expect?

BTW, that was one of the best movies ever made. There was a serious message in it for everyone of every color. Like I always say...it ALL starts at home. If some of these people are looking for someone to blame...they need to look around their own house. I was fortunate to have had "Old School" at the helm. Unfortunately, many of those types are dead and gone and when they died, their morals and values died with them.

Now with the media hyping such acts as the slutty Rhianna, trash talking Wiz Khalifa and the one who I really wish would go away Lady Ga Ga etc., it's kind of hard for some of these kids regardless of race to figure out what's right and what's wrong. Especially, when they got their mothers out in the streets shaking their @sses to this same music and dancing to their videos. Meanwhile, Daddy's somewhere chuggin' down a 40 ounce Malt Liquor while listening to Jay-Z. Not a good look folks. It's the parents not the neighborhoods. Furthermore, it's not a race based issue, it's an American issue.

It's a shame really. I hope all of you understand that many of these negative circumstances that some of you swear only happen in the "hood", in fact are taking place right under your noses every single day.

edit on 10/6/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: I still have trouble spelling

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join