It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: growing up in bad neighborhoods has a devastating impact

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well Duh!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

You basically said that people are entitled to a good life.

Yep, basically. If thats somehow offensive, then i feel sorry for you.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

Originally posted by jonnywhite

You basically said that people are entitled to a good life.

Yep, basically. If thats somehow offensive, then i feel sorry for you.

Everybody deserves a decent life, no matter skin colour, race or age. Nobody is better than anybody.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Heartisblack I agree with you. And everybody should work for it regardless of skin color,race or age. Poor and live in the ghetto,rich and live in a mansion. Work for things you want,instead of blaming your shortcomings on everyone else.
edit on 4-10-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

This should be common sense. I don't think people realize how much environmental influences can affect people. Remember we are all products of our respective environment(s).

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Some of us enjoy good news stories and yours is touching. Cudos to you mate for being couragous and brave!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It truly does.. when my parents seperated my brother went with my mom. Living in a bit of a lower standard neighbourhood I noticed a lot of changes in them because of this.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

www.physorg.com...

Growing up in a poor neighborhood significantly reduces the chances that a child will graduate from high school, according to a study published in the October issue of the American Sociological Review. And, the longer a child lives in that kind of neighborhood, the more harmful the impact.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 4-10-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

That's pretty much as open as an open door can get. It's the same all around the world. The more prosperous a family the more "social success". It does not require any study to conclude that a kid from a rich family has more opportunity and therefore will receive more of earth's resources than a kid from a poor family.

The bigger challenge is how to change this.The true issue is the richer people get the less they seem to care.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
They needed a study to figure this out?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I hope that this raises some awareness and brings about change. Honestly though, who didn't already know this? Why do we need to do studies to prove that looking after your own people is a good idea?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

I had a long post written out but I changed my mind about posting it here and will send it to Redwing48 in a U2U.

edit on 5-10-2011 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
well, I'm a odd duck; grew up dirt-poor. not in the projects, but not in suburbia. single-parent home(no father around). I've only got 2 semesters of college. I dropped out to pursue acting(in retrospect, not a bad decision, I did OK). BUT, when I speak, I sound(and mind you, this is from when I was like 10-12 years old) like a harvard grad. which means, in the black community, I was shunned. I was not really "black", if I used proper grammar, you see. if I got good grades, I was an oreo or a house 'n-word'. with some black folks, I'm perceived that way to this day, and I turn 42 tomorrow. I say all that because it highlights the real problem with ghettos and black america specifically. it's self-hate and same hate. you can throw all the money in the world at the inner-city education system and it won't matter; not as long as the people there think that education is a BAD thing. not as long as the people there think that anyone who gets out is a sellout. anyone who grew up respecting education(I used to help my mom study for her college exams) is considered "other" and foreign. black folks hate themselves and each other. that's the REAL issue. until that's addressed, nothing will change.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonseeker
well, I'm a odd duck; grew up dirt-poor. not in the projects, but not in suburbia. single-parent home(no father around). I've only got 2 semesters of college. I dropped out to pursue acting(in retrospect, not a bad decision, I did OK). BUT, when I speak, I sound(and mind you, this is from when I was like 10-12 years old) like a harvard grad. which means, in the black community, I was shunned. I was not really "black", if I used proper grammar, you see. if I got good grades, I was an oreo or a house 'n-word'. with some black folks, I'm perceived that way to this day, and I turn 42 tomorrow. I say all that because it highlights the real problem with ghettos and black america specifically. it's self-hate and same hate. you can throw all the money in the world at the inner-city education system and it won't matter; not as long as the people there think that education is a BAD thing. not as long as the people there think that anyone who gets out is a sellout. anyone who grew up respecting education(I used to help my mom study for her college exams) is considered "other" and foreign. black folks hate themselves and each other. that's the REAL issue. until that's addressed, nothing will change.

Dragonseeker, you explained just exactly what my point was as well as some others on here. I grew up dirt poor white. I was called "white trash" by the people that lived around us. In my family, my dad made the decision to start drinking and running around with other women. He raised us in that poverty and would not get a job, except for 3 times and those times were only about a year each. He had cousins that worked hard and did well and he was so jealous of them.

My dad used the same arguments I hear from a lot of people...the rich do not care about the poor man. I would see my dad drunk day after day after day while we as children went hungry, and he would watch the tv screaming at it how the world does not care about him. He did not care about his children and expected the Welfare to give him money for us. So the problem is not only in the ghettos but the same excuses are everywhere. My dad dropped out of high school in the 9th grade because, as he bragged about it, someone in authority expected him to graduate.

It takes self-determination to get out. If you don't have it no one can put it into you. While the Democrats say "poor people" they really don't know what they are saying. Welfare and food stamps are really designed to help children and children who are in poverty would not eat otherwise. But too many people think it is a way of life and should be given to them.

I, as a white trash person, would never call you oreo or anything else. I, as a college educated person, would never call you that.You and I get the idea that to get out, we had to make that decision on our own.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
So what the report is saying is that if you live in a poor neighborhood, and your family is poor, your chance of making it through school is less than the rich person living in a rich neighborhood.
I think this relates to everything. I'm sorry , but this is stupid. Of course you will have a better chance when living in the better area. I don't know why this needed a study to confirm.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

History only repeats itself....

This is entirely done on purpose and a product of the Welfare state which creates generation upon generation of poor people.

This is also as to why Heroin was first introduced into Harlem, NYC in the 1930's....and Crack introduced to the Ghettos in the 1980's.

The same reason as to why Opium was introduced by the British to the Chinese leading to the Opium Wars ....it's all a means of control and profits for the elite.

One only needs to look back in US History at the root cause of the Business Plot of 1933.

Which was an attempted military coup in retaliation to Roosevelt's New Deal where he intended to put all of America to work and not only Whites.

They were so incensed by this program to help ALL Americans that they conspired to overthrow the US Govt.by force.

They had planned to hire Smedley Butler to lead this military Coup but Butler in allegiance to his Constitutional Oath, to protect the nation against enemies both foreign and domestic, blew the whistle instead.

These were the Duponts, Ford, Rockefeller, Harriman, Bush, Morgans....all the uber rich and all swept under the rug.

This was all planned long ago with the loss of Auto industry Jobs in the 70's replaced by the welfare state in which we have today.

It isn't strictly limited to Blacks in the inner city for it isn't much different on Indian Reservations where people languish on welfare with absolutely no jobs available and/or opportunities for advancement.

This has all been planned .....and what we are currently seeing are the final stages of the NWO in which the wealth is concentrated into 400 wealthy families and ALL Americans and not only Minorities are effected by unemployment.

PEACE

edit on 5-10-2011 by nh_ee because: typos and additions

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
....And some of those children are afflicted with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, from the constant fear of being harmed, and hearing gunshots in the parking lot as they try to sleep at night. It's a very stressful environment; not at all conducive for developing a healthy personality.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
You don't need to be a genius to figure this out, ask anyone who grew up in a sh#tty area and you'll find out what an uphill struggle it is to get an equal footing with those from more afluent areas.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
You don't need to be a genius to figure this out, ask anyone who grew up in a sh#tty area and you'll find out what an uphill struggle it is to get an equal footing with those from more afluent areas.

Actually that is a myth. Harvard University offers free tuition paid to students from those areas.

www.askstudent.com...
www.forevergeek.com...
www.collegiatetimes.com...

This is not the only college to do so. Morehead State in Kentucky also does this as well as UVA in Virginia. These programs have been around for a long time. Harvard started that in 2004.
edit on 10/5/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Originally posted by VelvetSplash

Actually that is a myth. Harvard University offers free tuition paid to students from those areas.

www.askstudent.com...
www.forevergeek.com...
www.collegiatetimes.com...

This is not the only college to do so. Morehead State in Kentucky also does this as well as UVA in Virginia. These programs have been around for a long time. Harvard started that in 2004.
edit on 10/5/2011 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

I'm sure a select few in the US can do that. Here in the UK it isn't quite the same.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Just because there are tuition programs out there doesn't mean that it's not an uphill struggle, that's disingenuous and silly.

You fail to think about other factors, including what goes on in the home, lack of nutrition, psychological issues, etc. I have worked with kids in these areas and I am telling you that a lot of them are mentally #ed up beyond all belief. You made it from your poor upbringing and I applaud you, so did I. But what happened for us has nothing to do with what is happening to poor American children RIGHT NOW.

Stop thinking that your plight is the same as others. Stop being naive.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join