It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: growing up in bad neighborhoods has a devastating impact

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwing48

Originally posted by calstorm
If you lacked the information to make informed choices, you should have sought it out. The public library or your school counselor would have been a great place to start. Rather than make excuses and blame others for your ignorance, accept some responsibility for it.

People always have a choice whether the choose to acknowledge it or not. Sometimes it's just easier to blame someone or something else for our own shortcomings..

People protested against Army recruiters coming into high schools. That is one great opportunity because it provides an income and the GI Bill for college. Many people in the military can take college classes while serving.

I think it is a shame that American kids want to be the next American Idol or America's Next Top Model but most do not have talent. There are a lot of kids who want to play sports thinking they are going to become the next LeBron James. He went to high school and he had talent. But the one thing to remember is that he had to work at his job.

This country needs more doctors, nurses and teachers. But if a kid today says they want to become something professional, they are usually beat down by their peers so much that they think it is uncool to do those things. Abraham Lincoln came from a very modest family and he loved learning so much that he made something of himself.

I was an English tutor in a liberal art college and I can tell you firsthand stories of some of these students who think they don't have to work or that they even have to write essays in proper grammar. One student who wrote at the 5th grade level told me he was Salutatorian of his graduating class.

Education is one of the few gifts given to us by our government, but to be educated, you have to work at it and appreciate it. Otherwise, all of the professional jobs in this country will continue to be filled by immigrants. We have a lot of doctors from other countries now taking care of us. The reason is because no one wants to do that here. But we see American Idol for how many seasons with how many people auditioning? Something is wrong there.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

I agree with you. If you're not willing to work for what you want, you have no one to blame other than yourself if you don't get it. It's much easier to blame others for our failures than accept responsibility for the choices we've made. I'm not rich or even well off, I'm just getting by like millions of others in this country. Nobody owes me or anyone else a living or a free ride through life.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

If you lacked the information to make informed choices, you should have sought it out. The public library or your school counselor would have been a great place to start. Rather than make excuses and blame others for your ignorance, accept some responsibility for it.

People always have a choice whether they choose to acknowledge it or not. Sometimes it's just easier to blame someone or something else for our own shortcomings..
edit on 4-10-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

I think that's a pretty idiotic statement to make to a 6-13 year old kid. For an adult it makes sense, but children lack the critical thinking skills to make those types of choices.

I blame my father for walking out and leaving my mother to raise me on her own and I then blame her for leaving me as a 6 year old in the care of 14-18 year old "cousins" who were drinking, doing drugs and other illegal activities.

How does a 6 year old accept responsibility for their behavior when they don't even know what the word responsibility means, much less the repercussions of their behaviors? They can't. They have a limited perspective on the world, especially when they have no real guidance and structure.

To say that there is no blame and it is the 6 year old fault is ludicrous and idiotic.

Once I was old enough to understand my responsibility and the consequences of my actions I was more able to take responsibility for my actions and choices.

Comments like yours are akin to saying its a rape victims fault because she was raped.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I've heard the same sob sister story a million times, and frankly it's just a cop out. Poor me, Poor me.. Society made me what I am, and now it's their responsibility to support me and excuse my irresponsible behavior.

Talk to any convict, drug addict, or low-life drifter and you'll hear the same spiel. If you lack an education, go get one, if you don't make enough money, find a second job. It's really that simple. The hardest part of it all though is getting up out of your chair and doing something to make it all happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Redwing48

you sound very naive. the real unemployment numbers are around 20% for the nation. furthermore, education hardly guarantees a job, let alone a job in the field the person has a degree in.

Employment rates for new college graduates have fallen sharply in the last two years, as have starting salaries for those who can find work. What’s more, only half of the jobs landed by these new graduates even require a college degree, reviving debates about whether higher education is “worth it” after all.

HALF the jobs that college degree wielding graduates get don't require the degree they got, but wait, there's more!

Among the members of the class of 2010, just 56 percent had held at least one job by this spring, when the survey was conducted. That compares with 90 percent of graduates from the classes of 2006 and 2007.

what's that? only 56% of graduates held a job, with half of those jobs not even requiring the degree they worked for.

in other words, everything you just said has been proven wrong.
kudos to mastergemini for this thread
edit on 4-10-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The thing is, everyone is just seen and they are slaves of profit. If you
equal to no profit then your not worth bothering. Those who will work
hard are the ones invested on, and the other humans are just dumbed
down so they shut up and get on with a crap life. Change will only
come if people want it, and only if more than a few wants it.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

you sound very naive. the real unemployment numbers are around 20% for the nation. furthermore, education hardly guarantees a job, let alone a job in the field the person has a degree in.
I don't remember saying anything about employment rates being sky high, but there are jobs out there if you really want to work. Maybe they're not sitting behind a desk like some would prefer, even though they can only read and write at a 4th grade level..

I never said education would make someone a success either. I said if you want an education, you can get one, but you might actually have to work for it. Nobody is handing out diplomas or degrees based upon your desire to have one. Like all things you must earn it through sweat, hard work, and determination.

in other words, everything you just said has been proven wrong.
How so? My point was stop blaming others for your own personal failures. Nobody owes you or anyone else a living or a free ride through life. That's a totally un-American concept.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
shocking. the white descendants of former racist slave owners don't care about the black descendants of their former property.

this is a just big told you so, that justifies white people views on black people. malcom x said it a hundred times.

black people are still portraying themselves as victims, even though the president of the united states is black and white people view the results of studies like this as a correct interpretation of stereotypes and justification for their beliefs.

white people are saying wtf, you're as free to do as any white person, and black people are saying look where we live.

i think its coming to a time where black people have no one to blame but themselves and can't hide behind racism to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

saying that 400 years of slavery has to compensated.

edit on 4-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Noooo, really? I would have thought most of our doctors and lawyers originated from these neighborhoods.

Peer pressure in schools is bad enough, but growing up in poverty and gang infested neighborhoods really has to be an influence on kids.
edit on 4-10-2011 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Is this really a surprise?

If you grow up in a bad neighborhood.... That usually means your parent(s) were not very successful. They probably have low paying jobs. You could infer that most likely the parent(s) weren't successful in school either.

So, the children have no role model for academic success. Most likely they aren't going to do well in high school. That minimizes their chances of going to college. That minimizes their chances of obtaining a high paying career.

It's a vicious cycle.

If you look at the role models for success in a bad neighborhood, most likely the career path would be towards some sort of criminal behavior. Sell drugs and make money and get the girls. Seems better then anyone else is doing so you have a greater percentage of kids turning to crime.

You also have over representation of under represented minorities in bad neighborhoods. No wonder under represented minorities are having trouble getting and maintaining jobs, buying houses etc. This just feeds the cycle.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Well this is nothing new to me atleast. I grew up in Cleveland......... not fun. But I did have the chance to move before it was too late (thanks to those UNFIXED RATE MORTGAGES)

edit on 10/4/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
And people blame the poor for everything? Okay........

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
Exactly. People want to live in denial, and want to blame the poor for everything, when in reality most of these kids don't have a chance from the moment they take their first breath.

If you don't want people living off of the government dime, you should want to see an end to the systemic inequality of this society. Otherwise, if you do not, well you need to stop crying about the poor receiving assistance.

In a corporate plutocracy, an underclass is a vital part of the social system.

It is important for the "middle-class" to fear being poor.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What a miserable attempt to create more class warfare.

The solutions to poverty have been known and ignored for hundreds of years, but without a mental revolution, those solutions will continue to be "unprofitable".

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
and how much money was thrown away on this study to tell us all something we already knew?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

but you're assuming the american dream still exists. there is a limit to what you can achieve, and some of it you can control, but some is beyond what you can affect. unemployment for instance. some people ride the welfare bus their whole lives and don't want a job, but others work hard, get a college education, but then find that there are no jobs.

because of mirror neurons and nature vs. nurture (basically monkey see, monkey do), kids brought up with druggy parents will most likely walk the same path. they didn't choose which parents they would be born to, yet it will affect their lives.

my point is, you can choose to do the right things and work as hard as you can in school and at your work, yet your advancement will be limited to factors beyond your control. does this mean that they deserve a handout? no, but it doesn't mean that they are 100% to blame.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Everybody is accountable for their own mistakes, regardless of the sad life they may have lived. Being poor doesn't excuse a lack of trying.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
One of my great-grandmothers walked 15 miles across a mountain in Kentucky every week to sell eggs to the mayor's wife. She raised her children that way. One of my great-grandfathers worked his way from Ireland to America on a cattle boat to become a coal miner in West Virginia. His mother died in a work house in Ireland.
Two of my great-great grandparents were Askenazi Jews from Bavaria who immigrated to Ohio to become dairy farmers. One of my grandfathers was a veteran of WWII who walked in the Bataan Death March and was a POW. The other grandfather was struck by rheumatic fever as a young man and was crippled.

Most everyone in here can relate to this and have similar stories to tell. Not all white people descend from slave owners or wealthy people. And that is what makes this nation great, the many hard working people who came here on a dream to achieve something. In my family, we have doctors, lawyers, nurses, teachers, writers, business owners and some in the military. If people think the "poor place" here is the hardest place to grow up should have been in Ireland when millions of Irish people were dying in work houses. They should have been in Appalachia at the turn of the century when millions of "white" Americans were starving because their meager crops were not enough to last through the winter. In fact, Appalachian Kentuckians are just coming out of hundreds of years of economic repression. Those people should have been in the Ghetto of Warsaw.

The best thing is this, all my ancestors never were wealthy and they lived without Playstations or XBoxes or Wii. They did not have internet or computers. They did not have access to health care that we have now.
They all lived in a time when families were lucky to have children live to be teenagers. If a child got pneumonia, it was very unlikely that child would survive.

I believe someone mentioned Malcolm X in this thread, didn't Malcolm X teach the black youth to take pride in themselves and do something better? And yes, jobs are being taken away, but many very poor immigrants used to become janitors and maids to earn money. Which leads to my biggest question....

If you have enough money to buy drugs, why don't you have enough money to buy food? If you have enough money to buy basketball shoes, why don't you have enough money to pay child support? If you have enough money to waste on video game systems, gigantic televisions, the coolest cell phones with the apps, and go to McDonalds every week, why don't you have enough money for food?

It is priorities that people need to get in order. I hope you realize this is not aimed at one group of people, because all groups of people have misplaced priorities. We need more professional people in this country. That can only come through education.

And if you find that you are not educated or intellectually challenged to be educated, then you can become convenience store clerks. There is nothing wrong with having an honest job. Whatever you choose to become, then be the best at it. But if our youth is not educated, then the youth will become total slaves to all the people who are smarter. That is as simple as I can say it.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Everybody is accountable for their own mistakes, regardless of the sad life they may have lived. Being poor doesn't excuse a lack of trying.

right, but you can give it your all and still get nowhere. those college students got degrees, and only 28% actually got a job that requires a degree.

it isn't their fault that the economy is taking a crap. hard work and dedication do not guarantee success.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

Its not about "crime", or an "excuse". Clearly you say that out of utter ignorance...
Oh really..

Its about a persons life span reduced by 20 years, just for being born into a poor family. Its about having to make the choice between food or going to the hospital. Its about 1/4th of americans being in the lowest income bracket, and substantially more ethnic minorities without university or collage degrees. Its about Ethnic minorities in the States having 80% higher hypertension then the rest of the country.
All the thing you cite are directly attributable to lifestyle choices. Your life is not instantly shortened by 20 years due to poverty. That's BS! A few healthy choices like: not smoking, lowering their sodium intake, eating fewer calories, and regularly exercising would not only lower their blood pressure, but would increase their life expectancy by at least a decade.

Its about the 20% gap between whites that have health insurance, and blacks that dont.
It's once again about choices.. If you don't work it's doubtful that you'll have an HMO. However I'm sure they will have a Medicaid card paid for with my tax dollars.

Its about the cumulative disadvantages that begin to build up as soon as a person is born into the low-ses world (which is not most of America)
roa.sagepub.com...
It's about making excuses and blaming others for your failures.

You must think that people born into a bad neighbourhood can overcome the odds with enough effort? Then, you are seriously misinformed about the reality of poverty. Very few people ever manage to overcome the insurmountable adversity that begins to threaten your very existence before you have even been born.
I believe I said it was hard work, but it's definitely possible if you can get up off the couch long enough to apply yourself to the problem.

a little class and intelligence go a long way
Maybe you should try to show some then..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join