It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Each Octopus tentacle has a mind of its own + 96 tentacle octopus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't think either is really a conspiracy. But it sure made me WTF.

Clever octopus tentacles stuffed with neurons

Octopuses have large nervous systems, centered around relatively large brains. But more than half of their 500 million neurons are found in the arms themselves, Godfrey-Smith said. This raises the question of whether the arms have something like minds of their own. Though the question is controversial, there is some observational evidence indicating that it could be so, he said. When an octopus is in an unfamiliar tank with food in the middle, some arms seem to crowd into the corner seeking safety while others seem to pull the animal toward the food, Godfrey-Smith explained, as if the creature is literally of two minds about the situation.
There may be other explanations for the observations. But whatever the answer, it seems likely that octopus intelligence is quite different from that of humans and, as researchers ponder the broader meaning of intelligence, may be as different as is likely to be encountered, short of finding it on other planets.

boingboing.net...

WTF.

I think it's most interesting how aliens and/or animals may have intelligence in ways that are completely incomprehensible. Even humans have two sides to a brain, I wonder how much each has a mind of its own. After all, some people have alien hand syndrome and such.

Also unrelated but interesting.

It's like something from a horror film. Maybe that's where japanese horror ideas come from. Deformed octopusses. I wonder if each one has its own mind or each one can be individually controlled.

The preserved octopus actually has the normal number of 8 appendages attached to its body, but each one branches out to form the multitude of extra tentacles. Apparently there is no theory that fully explains the surplus tentacles, but they are believed to be the result of abnormal regeneration that occurred after the octopus suffered some sort of injury.

boingboing.net...

Their most well-known specimen is an 85-tentacled Common Octopus captured in 1957 at nearby Toshijima island. This remarkable creature -- which, like the Shima Marineland octopus, has 8 main arms that branch out to form scores of tentacles -- made quite a stir when it first went on display at Toba Aquarium a half-century ago. A few years later, the specimen was loaned to the National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo, where it famously caught the attention of the Showa Emperor.

pinktentacle.com...

WTF.
edit on 4/10/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Most likely a birth defect or the result of injury.

Why would that freak you out? All animals can be born with defects...its just nature

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I think I saw in some docu that the octopus has four brains or something like that.
But each tentacle having a mind of it's own is new to me.

Interesting thread mate

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well, Octopuses have about 2/3rd of their neurons in arms, each having sort of independent system, all connected to main "brain" in body.
My fascination in those creatures is growing exponentially
, they are absolutely revolutionary specie. They store both long and short term memories, they can learn through observation (very quickly), they use tools, they mimic other animals, they're camouflage abilities are way beyond anything we observed in nature. Chameleon's skills comparing to Octopus is like comparing Pollock's paintings to HR Giger
From what scientists report, they also been observed changing their social behaviours, slowly ceasing to be a lonely hunters.
Watch this, absolutely mind-blowing full piece from Discovery, especially outcome of experiments they carried out.

edit on 4-10-2011 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join