It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choosing the Best CPU for Doom III

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Choosing the Best CPU for Doom III
The new game from id Software made us all reexamine and revise our hardware. A really powerful computer is needed for you to enjoy fully the superb graphics of Doom 3. For example, the recommended system configuration for this game lists a 3GHz CPU (or with a rating of 3000+), at least 512MB of RAM and a graphics card no worse than NVIDIA GeForce 5900/ATI RADEON 9700.

It�s no surprise then that many devoted gamers have faced the problem of upgrade yet another time now. We have already published two reports about the speed and graphics quality as provided by modern graphics cards in this game. You can read them by the following links:

Doom III: Performance and Image Quality in Different Gaming Modes

Be Doomed: Performance Preview of the Doom III Game.

However, we have hitherto omitted the problem of the central processor in Doom 3. Of course, it is the graphics card that affects the speed of this game most of all, but still, Doom 3 is a CPU-dependent game as you can see from the test results of graphics cards in simple graphics modes.

So, in this review we will examine the influence of the CPU and of the amount of system memory on the speed of Doom 3.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Its runs great on my brothers 2500+ Barton.

I swear...the game manufactuerers are in cahoots with the hardware manufactuerers. Every new game as much greater need and everybody has to always upgrade to play them. Its a perfect system.

Bastards...

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Forget Doom III, and start playing:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Forget Doom III, and start playing:

Once Everquest 2 comes out you can bet you're ass I will.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
AMD 64 and if u have the money the nvida 6800

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I have both Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 and they both run perfectly on my 3.06GHz Pentium 4 w/Hyper-Threading, 1GB PC1066 RDRAM, and with my ATi Radeon 9700 Pro.

I've never played Everquest and am scared to... I've had a few friends become addicts.. and I don't want to fall into that category..

Although, oddly enough, my cousin became a Counter-Strike addict (Counter-Strike: Source comes with HL2) and I have not become addicted to that... so I don't want to take chances, though.

But yes, game developers ARE in cahoots with hardware makers... ATi's been touting Half-Life 2...

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
prophetmike wats ur fav flovor of *nix mines Slack

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sexygeek

Slackwares alright, but I find Debian to be more suited to my needs.

Smoothwall is installed on my hardware firewall in my closet. Runs like a charm...

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
cool wats the biggest uptime uve eva had on smoothwall

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The longest Iv left it running has been over 48 hours...

I rewired the power switches of my main comp, the network server and my firewall to all turn on by pressing the switch on the main comp. Then theres none of the noise from the firewall at night.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sexygeek

I'm currently running Gentoo Linux on my laptop. I'm mostly a Windows user. I just use Linux for fun, and to expand my knowledge.

My laptop is nothing special... its an 800MHz Pentium 3 with 512MB RAM, 10GB HD and is a 13" screen. I got it for free from my uncle, and while it has signs of wear and tear... it's nothing to complain over.

When it had Windows XP, it was struggling, because XP would eat up the RAM like a kid around cookies. But with Gentoo, it works fine and resources are used nicely.

I've also used Debian, SuSE, Knoppix and I'm currently experimenting with FreeBSD.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

top topics

join