It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OccupyVictoria Co-opted.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Good evening. I came back recently from the occupyvictoria GA meeting, it was a total joke. Here is what I posted on anons site about it:

A group of us have decided to honour the original name of the event. "Occupy Victoria" will be held at parliament, where the real culprits in charge of this mess are. City hall is not the place to have this protest. It is boxed in perfect for kettling people, almost as if the cops paid off two political science students and 2 other people to co-opt this movement and play it into their hands. For the whole 2-3 hours of this GA meeting, more like a total # show, they bantered over the name and finally after it all managed to accomplish only 1 thing. They changed the name to "The people's assembly of victoria". WTF? Seriously?

The movement totally got co-opted and that lunacy served to make half the crowd disappear that had gathered. People left pissed off, We are change victoria stormed off determined to keep the name and have the protest at a BETTER location where it wasn't so obviously set up.

There were two cops already there at the event because they called the cops and told them about it. They also shuffled us into a well lit area where some person with a $10,000 high end camera with blacked out serial plates and no school or news station logo on the camera filmed. They called us seperatists but all we want to do is accomplish something -- their first point of picking a different name only served to divide people.

The REAL occupy victoria is being held where people who are more accountable for this mess are. The REAL occupy victoria has a facebook group of:
www.facebook.com...#!/groups/242070162510026/

I made that group before these co-opters even started, so they had to append BC because they couldn't get the name "occupy victoria". Well thank god I was there first. They were definitely more organized towards getting the word out than we are at WAC but failed miserably at the rest of the process when it came to managing the crowd and accomplishing things. They admitted inexperience in these types of events to us when they approached us afterwards about us splitting off.

The REAL occupy victoria event is here:
www.facebook.com...#!/event.php?eid=213647832034643

It's great if people show up at this other event, we'll have support from another location in town, but, they chose to divorce themselves FROM THIS MOVEMENT. Please inform everyone out there that our movement has been co-opted and we need to remain strong.

We are change victoria backs this.

I am the leader of nothing, you lead. Protest where you want, either place is fine, but I'd rather protest at their front door than get shuffled off into some cage in the corner that the police have so obviously chosen for the protest movement they paid people off and co-opted. I have no proof but how else do you explain such a disaster as what they spent 3 hours coming up with. They spent 3 hours to slit the throat of their own movement. Now it is up to us to carry on the torch.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand
They changed the name to "The people's assembly of victoria".

Splitters!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
An update: The group occupy victoria B.C. on facebook now is working with us, they had nothing to do with these weird co-opters. There are no leaders, so these self-appointed dictators who accomplished nothing are doing us all a disservice by claiming they are leaders. The real leaders at todays event, went off to do the right thing and didn't follow the heard. We don't need leaders we'll show up and be there because it is the right thing to do. We will keep the name because we believe things have moved past that point and it'd be silly to argue over something so stupid. We showed up as occupyvictoria, why mess with something that was so obviously working.

new topics

top topics

join