It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capital punishment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Been thinking about this all day so I really wanted to share

Capital punishment also known as THE DEATH PENALTY is still a widely "moral" political debatable topic.

"Capital punishment is as fundamentally wrong as a cure for crime, as charity is wrong as a cure for poverty." - Henry Ford

Catholic Cardinal McCarrick, Archbishop of Washington, writes "...the death penalty diminishes all of us, increases disrespect for human life, and offers the tragic illusion that we can teach that killing is wrong by killing."

Since the dawn of time man has done many a things to execute their criminals to deter other criminals from taking action. Some of these executions include: (all of these are still done today except the guillotine) crucifiction, stoning, crushing, lethal injection, gun fire, beheading, hanging, stoning, gas chambers, guillotine, and so on...

Now, think of the Eighth admendment which clearly states the prohibition of cruel or unusual punishments.
Does the list I put above seem somewhat cruel? People argue that it is immoral and unjustified to take a human life away and that killing any criminal does not deter crime. People also say that at some point innocent blood will be spilt and that it is a "inveitbility" and demoralizes the government. Some say its best for the criminal to sit in solitary confinement until they die.

"If we execute murderers and there is in fact no deterrent effect, we have killed a bunch of murderers. If we fail to execute murderers, and doing so would in fact have deterred other murders, we have allowed the killing of a bunch of innocent victims. I would much rather risk the former. This, to me, is not a tough call."

John McAdams - Marquette University/Department of Political Science, on deterrence

But now we have to think about what the criminals have done...
Rape, torture (which in some cases torture is probably the worst crime imaginable), murder, kidnapping, mutiny-terrorism, etc...

Crimes that led to death row: Constant stabing, suffocating, raping then brutally murdered, man draged behind a truck on gravel road, sacraficing, cutting out organs for black market, basically horror movie deaths in real life.

This link shows some brutal killings that may have been death row sentenced LINK--> listverse.com...

One of these men named Joseph Duncan raped and murdered many boys, clubbed a family, and said if he ever got the chance he would escape prison and do as much murders as possible.

The main reason mostly believe that death sentence is "ok" is the fact that it is deterrent and is justified that the criminal got what he deserves. Advocates also believe some criminals who get let out early have high likes to commit crime again...

Links you may find interesting on this subject

www.buzzle.com...
www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

So should the government in the long run continue to ok capital punishment or no?

16 states have outlawed capital punishment.

edit on 4-10-2011 by KingUsbeorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by KingUsbeorn

two wrongs dont make a right
it says a lot about a group of people when they need to kill to make themselves feel good.
if you need to seek violent revenge you clearly have many problems in your personal life.

how can you condem one killing and approve of another?

stop killing now

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

edit on 4-10-2011 by redstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
As the saying goes, "an eye for an eye makes the world go blind"...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
It is always an antagonism, to kill someone for killing. But I must admit, the older I get the more often I could accept the death penalty in cases, which are clearly proven and without any doubt - as it is the case with the killer in Norway, who took a lot of lifes and still thinks, he was right.

1. The problem with death penalty only is, that it also is used in cases, where the guilt is not that clear. Imagine the horrors to be caught in such a nightmare, if you are innocent and everybody wants to see you dead. The moral of a society that accepts such cases as kind of "collateral damage" is not better than a killer's moral.

2. What even makes it worse is, that the death penalty frequently is used to get rid of people with different political opinions.

3. There is no doubt, that the worst regimes kill the most people. I just took a look at the numbers of 2009:
China disclosed about 1700, it was estimated, that the real number was about 5000.
Iran: about 388
Iraq: about 120
Saudi Arabia: 69
USA: 52
Yemen: about 30

Looking at these "charts" is like looking at a list of underdeveloped countries - refering to their judicial systems.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Elevatedone recently started this discussion up.

You can find it HERE

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Try empathizing with victims. Put yourself in their shoes. Imagine someone has killed a number of your family members. Would that change your opinion?

I feel that there are crimes that must be attoned for.

Instead of killing them, form a penal legion and send it to the front, or start making Soilent Green. Let them serve a purpose greater than themselves.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I do not think that the death penalty acts as a deterrent at all. If murderers were considering the consequences of their actions, they would not have murdered in the first place.

I believe it is more of a punishment and a reprieve for the victims families.

The most civilised nations do not adhere to the death penalty and they have some of the lowest murder rates in the world. Hopefully some of these murderers who would otherwise be murdered themselves (as capital punishment) over a life of incarceration, should seek repentance before their last days to maybe save their soul. Even though they denied that to their victims, maybe if they themselves are truely sorry and make up for it some way, they will be doing a service to the souls that they had so callously taken.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
have any of you ever been to jail or prison? talked to someone doing life? Well I have and I think prison and the death penalty are useless. When we look back on the state of affairs 100 years from now we will be ashamed. Prison keeps me from committing crimes. What it doesn't keep me from doing is defending myself in a life threatening situation, which for me resulted in jail time. Innocent people hang all the time, death penalty or not. The best solution I can come up with is a prison state of territory set aside for outcasts/murderers, which still would lead to innocent men being forced to someone else's will. When I think of a family member being killed I am in favor of the death penalty. When I think of doing life in prison myself, I am in favor of the death penalty. But when a man who claims innocence is killed by the death penalty it angers me. The death penalty should have to be acceptable to the person who is being killed. If someone offered me life in prison or death, I would choose death. If someone offered me life in prison, death, or outcast into prisoner territory, I would become an outcast.

new topics

top topics

join