It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishermen breaking out in boils

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Fishermen breaking out in boils

www.theaustralian.com.au

QUEENSLAND fishermen have been taken to hospital with recurring weeping sores resembling spider bites after handling sick fish and working in water at Gladstone's harbour.

A fishing ban was imposed at Gladstone harbour on September 16 after sick fish were found with sores and cloudy eyes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It sounds like a disease or some bacteria going nuts, but all the crap that we send down drains and into streams and rivers and eventually into our oceans makes you wonder if it causes incidents like this.

Dr Gardner is calling for the department to investigate it further.

"There is a relationship. The symptoms are the same, but just what it is I don't know," he said.

"The story is the same. The sores appeared after people handled fish or came into contact with the water."

Dr Gardner said it's unusual for a small fishing community to have at least 20 people infected with the same illness.

I'd like to think this is an entirely isolated case, but I wonder how many fisheries get shut down for fish diseases that we don't hear about because it doesn't spread to humans?

www.theaustralian.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4/10/11 by Shere Khaan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Seems like a bad case of Chromium 6 only because Chromium causes allergic reactions of the skin, and at high amounts could be cancerous.

Chromium 6 in Australia
edit on 4-10-2011 by KonquestAbySS because: Posted link about Chromium 6

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
scary its only a matter of time till we are on the receiving end of more and more of these types of bacterias,were islolated not imune unfortunately...

peace

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I wonder if any Chinese ships have pulled into the harbor lately.

Its been common knowledge with coast guard personal that ballast tanks on Chinese ships are very dangerous to check and hazmat suits need to be worn.

Companies in china pay captains of cargo ship to take hazardous chemical out when they leave china and dump them at sea then they refill the tanks with sea water.
Many time the chemicals do not mix with water and small amounts cling to the insides of the tanks.

When the coast guard finds these tanks they put in green dye packs and tell the captains that there ships will be seized if the water is dumped within 200 miles of the US coast.
willbarnesonline.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I think its a good time to re open the X- Files.

It look exactly like a good hollywood script.

Radiation is possible for the fish but its not contiguous like.
Realy weird, fish are dying left and right, trees are sick. birds are crazy and we asking wall street for money..
I hope things will sort out in .. 20.. 2013.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I wonder if the dumping of radioactive waste at Fukishima has flowed down to Austrailia. However, I would think this would have been showing up in the Japanese fisheries first. Interestingly, the county I live in had a MRSA (methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus) outbreak and they never did figure out where it came from. But the people had what they thought were spider bites on their hands and arms before it was in the local news what it was. They now say staph bacteria can live in ocean water and has been found in local and Atlantic ocean waters. The drug resistant staph can survive 20 minutes in boiling water. I wouldn't be suprised if that is what they find there. I don't recall any reports of fish being infected here though.

edit on 4/10/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I knew the fish wasn't right........something's wrong with our atmosphere......

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

Gladstone is currently undergoing a massive dredging program related to the upcoming LNG Developments. It appears that the dredging program has created a lot of turbity in the harbour, and what came out yestreday in the news was that one of the spoil ponds which they are dumping the dredged material into is leaking at low tide. Hence the dredged material is seeping through the walls and back into the harbour.

Gladstone has an amazing harbour ecosystem, with vast wetlands, as well as esteuary systems supporting many turtles and dugong, this is now all in jepordy. It is one of the largest natural harbours on the East Coast of Australia, and until recently supported a viable commercial fishing industry.

With the harbour no closed for ALL fishing, it is basically a toxic dump status, it will take years before people will again accept seafood from the region.

The reason for the outbreak will hopefully soon be known, but sadly, the reputation damage has already happened.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's a bit of an old story this one. At least a couple of weeks I think.

Anyway, I believe that it is relevant to the dredging that they are doing in the area.

Cheers

Edit, Beat me to it.
edit on 4-10-2011 by myselfaswell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

A related article, but its saying not to panic! Agree not to panic, but they still don't know the real reason.

www.gladstoneobserver.com.au...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

It need not be a biological contaminant. It could just as easily be a chemical pollutant, or an increase in the pH level of the water. It might be that there has been an under sea fissure open up, releasing a sulphur deposit, which rather than release in great gouts of acidic gas, may have gone into solution in the water, and caused these unfortunate illnesses.

Until a proper battery of tests are performed on the affected parties, and the water and fish in the area, further speculation at this point would perhaps be fruitless. However, I do believe that such an examination must be carried out for the good of the community in the area, and to ensure than any ecological and environmental problems which might be on the horizon are known of , and being dealt with in a timely manner.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I had posted this article on ocean warming affecting bacteria spreading around the world. If bacteria is the cause of this it could show these folks in Brussels knew what they were talking about. However the first thing that came to mind was Corexit or Radiation poisoning since we have been dumping so many things into the ocean.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This news article was from 2010. This has been going on since approximately 2008.

The "mainland" & surrounding area to Vinalhaven have been breaking out in from pretty bad to severe MRSA cases. I know many people in this area. & the amount of Cases in the surrounding area of Vinalhaven is crazy!

But I'm not a medical professional do not understand all of aspects of this.

The scary thing is that this outbreak is still going on.

My first thought when reading this link was of this issue of the area off of Vinalhaven, ME.

I wonder what will happen as time progresses for these fishermen in the posted link by the OP.

Google Vinalhaven, ME, MRSA, fishermen or lobstermen.

Virulent Skin Germ Grates on Maine Lobstering Isle

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

More press on this today.

See the below link.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

top topics

join