It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retaliation to occupy wall street being a theater of the absurd.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

So, what you're saying is, that 7 billion should not be beholden to the whims and whimsy of 7 thousand?
Interesting...
Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
This is my opinion.

This is not the 2nd American revolution. This movement will probably die out when the weather deteriorates. The problem is that the lack of one coherent demand leaves them impotent and the fact that this movement is not getting support from all parts of society will leave them alienated and vulnerable to media misrepresentation.

It's good to see young people out and discussing these things and waking up and making such an effort, but it is in serious risk of being co opted and just becoming the far left wing of the Democrat Party, the very same as the Tea Party has become the far right of the Republican party.

It seems impossible to have a "grass roots" movement. There will always be ones who want to co opt your group and steer it in a direction that suits their interests.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
So woodwardjr, you've given up on America? Or humanity as a whole?

The idea we can't have a grass roots movement is ridiculous, and foolish. It is anti-humanity. It removes reason from the equation of people as a whole. It truly limits your thinking. Shows how compartmentalized you've become.

Edit: I just re-read what you said and you said "seems like" so I apologize for the tone, though people who have given up can take it at face value.
edit on 4-10-2011 by thejlxc because: saw seems

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thejlxc

Maybe I'm just getting old and cynical, but I stand by what I posted above. However, maybe this is just the start and the movement will develop into something more encompassing and represent a wider movement. I hope it does, but have my doubts.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

seems fairly straight forward to me.

the people of the united states do have the right to peaceably assemble

if you as an american citizen do not support this right ... you are a enemy of the united states and the people of the united states, if you forceably try to restrain this right you are a traitor, and should be tried for treason.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by eagleeye2
Work harder, study harder and don't party harder.

People have done this and they are unemployed. This is not a case of people being lazy.

And I'm fairly certain that the OWS movement is also anti-war, anti Mil. Industrial Complex.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by VariableConstant
As far as I can tell, there is no coherent theme or single line of thought to these protests save one:

The BS has gone far enough, and the time has come to do something about it.

Everyone has different priorities, different ideas about what the most pressing issues facing us may be. Anyone paying any attention at all should be able to come up with a staggering list of things that have gone on that are just plain wrong.

It's like the pressure has built up to the point where it must be released in some way. Whether or not everyone is on the same page as to what the main focus should be, the "fed up" point has been reached. That's what I think it is all about, and I am glad to see it.

This.

Honestly, I'm tired of the fools spouting off that this protest is a tantrum, or there's no leadership and they aren't even protesting everything.

Frankly, an elementary school student could figure out that people are just plain sick of corporate executives getting bail outs then using taxpayer money to fund vacations. They're sick of companies working the working class to the bone. They're sick of seeing everything increase in price while wages and salaries remain the same. In short, they're sick of the BS.

I work and go to school. I don't have an amazing job, and I make what I earn. But when inflation bumps up 10%, I'm in effect, making 10% less. Many people are in the same sinking boat and trying to bail the water out. There comes a point where bailing the water just isn't working, we're tired and sore, and it's time to just go stomp the heads of the boat manufacturers for giving us a crappy boat.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Heehaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
And just when i thought i was fighting ignorance alone on this site!

S&F

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereotype
the question keeps roaming through my mind, how or what will it take for ALL people to be disobedient in a civil manner?

When formerly upper middle class people lose their jobs, or become underemployed to the point of needing housing and food assistance. People tend to get angry when their government and the banks and corporations who bought the government # them over to the point of sending all good jobs overseas and utilizing immigrants at half the cost to do the remaining jobs.

I seriously think this is the beginning of the chickens coming home to roost as far as globalization is concerned. The multi-national corporations saw the short term gain by outsourcing many jobs, but now we're stuck with US citizens reaping the consequences of that, and it ain't good.

Add to that the fact that big organized Wall Street crooks can make money by colluding in the markets, which robs ordinary people of their 401K money, and you're gonna get some really pissed off common working folks out there in the coming decade.

This movement will become mainstream if the depressed economy starts affecting more and more people. I'm afraid it's already being hijacked though by establishment left wing money which is not good, because then the left wing radicals show up.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Drew99GT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If this movement gathers too much steam, Obama and his Corporate Overseers will simply engineer an international event that will give the people of America a boogyman to unite against while bolstering that good old fashioned patriotism at the same time.

IRM

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
If this movement gathers too much steam, Obama and his Corporate Overseers will simply engineer an international event that will give the people of America a boogyman to unite against while bolstering that good old fashioned patriotism at the same time.

IRM

Nothing puts people back to work like a really big war. It also exterminates a large number of "useless eaters".

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
It is a theater of the absurd. The people there have not a clue about why they are there. It is obvious they are upset about something and they do not know exactly what or who to complain about it.

They say capitalism is bad, but they do not understand that capitalism is good... It is the best system for the advancement of society and the economy. The thing they fail to understand is that the problem is GREED not capitalism.

This is a recurring cycle...the concentration of wealth in so few hands triggers a revolt by the have nots who eventually overwhelm the "haves" and redistribute the wealth, destroying the system which eventually rebuilds and Greed again concentrates the wealth... and the revolt happens again.

Until we learn "stopping sense" and realize that people who do achieve success must know when to quit, get out of the way and give someone else an opportunity, society is doomed to repeat this forever.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Whats the point when protesting does nothing these days.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
In October 1967 600+ Protestors where arrested right outside the pentagon in protest of the Vietnam War, etc. History simply repeats itself. The single most greatest video I have seen that has come out of the Wall Street Protests was a young man who brilliantly puts everything in to perspective. To see more epic videos go to my website www.hybridmanifesto.com... The website is only a few months old but you all will probably enjoy the music, videos, and the news.

edit on 4-10-2011 by hybridmanifesto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
It is a theater of the absurd. The people there have not a clue about why they are there. It is obvious they are upset about something and they do not know exactly what or who to complain about it.

They say capitalism is bad, but they do not understand that capitalism is good... It is the best system for the advancement of society and the economy. The thing they fail to understand is that the problem is GREED not capitalism.

From everything that I have seen and heard, corporate GREED is being assaulted left and right...what are you talking about?

And this current system that we live under is not capitalism. You do not get bailouts when your business fails in a true cap. system. You don't get to pick and choose the rules based on your amount of wealth in a true capitalist system. Lets be honest with ourselves here

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Europe had their protests, Middle East had theirs.

Now its time for ours...sadly, the mainstream media is trying its best to dismantle the revolution. Its our time to rise, folks.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Media has been doing a great job manipulating and brainstorming the masses. www.hybridmanifesto.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xxshadowfaxx

There are many aspects of this "occupation of wall street" that appear quite contrived--as if orchestrated by the Administration. In fact, many of the protesters are calling for the re-election of Obama....WTF!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Very good OP from a fellow Vancouverite, really does sumerize the current situation clearly. Life is getting more and more expensive for us middle class folks, utilities go up, insurance goes up, food goes up, gas goes up, salary... stays pretty much the same, or get cut out completely for some unfortunate good people.

It feels like there is an explosion coming, people are having their veils lifted and beginning to see reality as it is instead of what they are told. More power to you all, continue to spread the word.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

It's a tried and true method, IRM. I'm sure you're familiar with the originator of that social economic policy. Think Germany, circa 1933.

You don't have to be the most popular national leader when the chip counts are down. What you need is charisma, and a bad guy to point the finger at and say GET EM!

Hopefully Americans can see through that plan, but I for one am not convinced.

At least #Occupy Wall St. is out there. At least some one is out there trying to wake more people up. So the media is twisting the story to their liking, but is any one surprised about this? That's what they do.

I am a proud supporter and will continue to send pizzas and sodas to wall st to help keep the protest going. In the mean time keep your eyes peeled for people with lazors charging.
There's more to come, maybe....

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join