It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If it isn't one thing ... How scared should I be about Russia's new move?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ok, physical destruction of the planet I can deal with. Militant Islam? Just another day at the office. Global finacial collapse? I'll get to it after coffee. Human rights abuses that the US is not too concerned about? Still?

But I didn't think I'd be seeing these bad boys again.

Rueters provides the following story.Reuters

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said he wants to bring ex-Soviet states into a "Eurasian Union" in an article which outlined his first foreign policy initiative as he prepares to return to the Kremlin as the country's next president.
I'm beginning to see President for Life here. Remember the macho photos saying he's tough, won't be pushed around, and will probably live to 100?

Russia's relationship with its ex-Soviet neighbors has been troubled by trade and political disputes and even armed conflicts such as the 2008 war with Georgia. Putin said he saw the new union as a supra-national body which would coordinate "economic and currency policy" between its members. It would also be open to new members.
A "supra-national body?" So was the USSR. And I bet it will be open to new members, open arms, preparing for a bear hug.

But this was a wrong choice, he wrote. He argued that the Customs Union and in future the Eurasian Union would be the European Union's partner in talks over the creation of a common economic space, guaranteeing its members a stronger voice.
The European Union and the Eurasian Union creating a common space? I wonder who will lead it?

Ok, sure, I'm paranoid. Should I be? What is the US policy? Forget that, we probably don't have a policy. What should our policy be? What is Russia's goal? Absorb Islam? Take Europe?Build the strength to take on China?

If we surrender, I don't even know who'd we surrender to. Split up the country and give pieces to the rest of the world?

Guys, help me with this one.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

not to dredge up the dead, but wasn't there a Nostradamus quatrain that said something about the 'Bear in the north would rise from it's asses'....one of the end time quatrains.....just popped to mind, it has been years since I have read them....I am sure some one can correct me on it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Either I am ahead of the curve or ppl really are watching everything I say.......... This is actually starting to get kind of creepy...... No matter. But it makes good security and economic sense for many of the former Soviet states. The problem is keeping things on the up and up. While Russia is still an authoritative state, I don't see it working.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Dear korathin,

Sorry, "keep things on the up and up?" Do you mean that all this will make sense and will work if Russia preserves freedom and independence in all the joining countries? If you don't see it working, what do you think will happen when Russia tries it?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I'm going to assume you're an American. If i'm wrong disregard this reply. If i'm correct you have a lot more problems in your future right at home.

The last country I'd be worried about is Russia. Look around, the country you live in is on the verge of imploding.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I would say Putin is getting soft and sentimental in his old age ... just ask Europe how well economic unions work without also having a social and political union (as in 1 country) to keep everyone honest.

On the other hand, Putin just saying he's going to do that will cause both China and the US to expend resources courting these other countries to try and prevent such a union ... it costs Putin nothing but a press release, and costs his adversaries billions.

He's never been a stupid bear.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Dear litterbaux,

You're absolutely right that there is a lot to worry about, that's why I made my (very partial) list in my first paragraph.

But the Secretary of State and the CIA don't deal with an imploding America, they have to work elsewhere. So, as an advisor to the President, how worried should the State Department be about Russia and what should be done about it?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
the united states exported democracy and capitalism to the former soviet union, now they're a corrupt bureaucratic mess infiltrated by organized crime and corruption.

i don't see any threat there. ironically, the only way they could clean themselves up is to bring back a communist dictator to cleanse the government and the country of criminals.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Zero.

Worry about the protesters right here in America. Don't trip over the step right in front of you while you're looking backwards down the stairs.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

Dont worry about Russia. Dont worry about Putin. Russia has it together and they are currently rising out of the ashes and the russian people are currently far more enlightened than americans.
Their only harm will be to the american ego as they are more ethical in their capitolism..
It will be more worth your while to worry about USA and it's greedy leaders.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kimsie

I agree 100%

second line

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Dear litterbaux and kimsie,

Thank you for your replies, but they confuse me. You seem to be saying that the US should ignore foreign events and countries because of its internal troubles. I'm sorry, but that is not advice that any country that I can think of would accept or practice.

I'm also concerned about the comment that Russia has it all together and has a moral form of capitalism. Again, I must apologize. If there is one fact the world can agree upon about Russia, it is that Russia is corrupt. Even its citizens think so.

I'm also worried about the level of freedom in Russia. It's much too low. I'm a big fan of freedom but that is not an area Russia shines in.

In case I've misunderstood your posts, please explain further.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

For example, if you were having family problems at home what would you do.

A.) Solve your problems at home
B.) Pretend the problems at home do not exist and worry about a different household.

Which would you choose?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Dear litterbaux,

No need for any apology, I've subscribed to this thread because I think it's important and largely ignored. You're responses are worth waiting for.

Originally posted by litterbaux

For example, if you were having family problems at home what would you do.

A.) Solve your problems at home
B.) Pretend the problems at home do not exist and worry about a different household.

Which would you choose?

Given the situation as you describe it, I, and anyone else, would choose to solve our problems at home. But the way you posed the question doesn't seem to accurately reflect the world situation. Is looking at our problems at home the only thing the country is allowed to do?

Should we leave the UN? Stop giving money to needy countries suffering from disasters? Stop allowing immigrants? Should we have stayed out of WWII? Not had the Apollo program and NASA?

I have never suggested we have no problems at home, but there also big problems outside our borders. I was hoping for an analysis of the Eurasian Union situation and our response.

With respect,
Charles1952

top topics

join