It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vladimir Putin first foreign policy initiative - bring in ex-Soviet states into a 'Eurasian Union'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said he wants to bring ex-Soviet states into a "Eurasian Union" in an article which outlined his first foreign policy initiative as he prepares to return to the Kremlin as the country's next president.

Yes, Putin is running for the president of Russia in 2012 and I dont see how he could lose at the moment.

There is already a "Customs Union" supposedly starting next year between Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan, which basically removes all barriers to trade, capital and labor movement. But there's more now.

"We are not going to stop there and are setting an ambitious goal -- to achieve an even higher integration level in the Eurasian Union," Putin wrote in an article which will be published in Izvestia newspaper on October 4.

I havent been able to find the Izvestia article yet, but I will post it here as soon as I find it.

Putin's initiative comes as Russia nears the end of its 18-year-old negotiations to join the World Trade Organization. In the article Putin made no secret of his skepticism about the global trade watchdog.

In 2009, Putin threw Russia's bid to join the WTO into disarray, saying Russia would instead form the Customs Union with Belarus and Kazakhstan. The new initiative will have to be explained to WTO members.

Putin dosent want to join the WTO club. Instead, he wants to start his own system. I believe Russia is considered an 'observer' of the WTO at the moment, but that may change when Putin is elected. Either way, it will be interesting to see how that part of the world changes when Putin steps in.

Some of Russian's neighbors were unwilling to commit to integration because this appeared to contradict their decision to build ties with Europe.

But this was a wrong choice, he wrote. He argued that the Customs Union and in future the Eurasian Union would be the European Union's partner in talks over the creation of a common economic space, guaranteeing its members a stronger voice.

"Membership in the Eurasian Union, apart from direct economic benefits, will enable its members to integrate into Europe faster and from a much stronger position."

edit on 3-10-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Vladimir Vladimirovitch is dreaming. Maybe a few of the ex-soviet states will swim along with that, but I lived in Moldova for over 6 years and it will be a cold day in hell before they fold back into that trap. Most Moldovans detest the Russian political elite and for good reason.

Unless tanks and troops roll in to enforce it.. not gonna happen in Moldova.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Haha it reminds me of this, first thing that came to my head after; wow, is he serious?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Vladimir Vladimirovitch is dreaming. Maybe a few of the ex-soviet states will swim along with that, but I lived in Moldova for over 6 years and it will be a cold day in hell before they fold back into that trap. Most Moldovans detest the Russian political elite and for good reason.

So care to explain why Moldova has a sweet bound with the west and americas polices against russia?

it will be a cold day in hell before they fold back into that trap. Most Moldovans detest the Russian political elite and for good reason.

And how just do the Moldovans feel about Americas and Western political elite? i am looking forward to a answer from you,i heard this cliam before, Yet and the ex-soviet states are willing to work with america against russia? thats what i call total hypocrisy if you ask me.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join