It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New evidence could clear 14-year-old executed by South Carolina

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Please, you people are getting outraged over something that happened 67 years ago. I might as well get outraged at England for drawing and quartering William Wallace. Its done and the people that did it are long gone and out of the picture. Move on and spare us your emotional pap. Its a cheap shot but how would you feel if your wife, sister, mother, father, or brother were murdered? How would you react to that? How can you even begin to judge the response of someone in that position if you have not lived with that weight. If my son were harmed in such a way then yes I would kill the person myself. It may be cold and brutal and blood lust but I dont care what you think about it. It WOULD be done! I could not contain the rage that I would feel and the so called justice system could not bring me "closeure". Shoot, Shovel, Shut up. That simple.

I do not support the death penelty because I am statist or want to somehow empower government to kill. I dont support it because I think our justice system is fair or fantastic. I dont support it because I think a conviction is evidence of guilt.
I support it because there is evil in the world. Evil that cannot be rehabilitated. Evil that cannot be allowed to stand unpunished. I dont believe this because of some religious conviction (I am an agnostic) I believe this because evil just IS. It is as plain as day and night.
I too share the dismay that the system seems to randomly pursue death penalty sentences against people. That dismay is simply wraped up in my general distrust and disgust with prosecutors in this country overall. I dont have a problem with the death penalty but I do have problems with the way its handed out.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragoon01

Please, you people are getting outraged over something that happened 67 years ago.

I'm more outraged that we still haven't learned from our mistakes, in 67 years

The trial was over two hours after it began. A jury of twelve white men deliberated for 10 minutes before convicting Stinney.

At least we're not doing that anymore... well let's say i hope not.
Star for your post

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAPurMAMA
reply to post by nightstalker78

Not really evidence, just town rumors, and a deathbed confession!

In fact, there has been a person that has been named as being the culprit, who is now deceased. And it was said by the family that there was a deathbed confession.” He added that the rumored culprit had come from a well-known, prominent white family. Another member of that same family had served on the coroner’s inquest jury which recommend that Stinney be prosecuted.

Yes,I read that part. But you know what? Again,that article doesn't prove a thing. And you know what,I can claim that I was the Zodiac killer on my death bed but that doesn't mean I am. Evidence people,evidence.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I knew it! Someone grab him! He's the Zodiac killer!!! YOU messed up big time, bro!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It's one thing to belive in the death penalty.
It's another thing to belive in the death penalty for a fourteen year old kid when it's proven that the brain doesn't fully until people's 20s. Even if he did it , which I along with many others in this thread doubt , there is no way he could understand the impact of his crimes. Science has proved this.

Link

edit on 4-10-2011 by Reptius because: Second link was messed up

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dionisius
Holy S*%t, what kind of judicial system executes a 14 year old with an insubstantial case?

What ever happened to 'The Good Christian' America?

let me tell you... religion was never good... in any form...

That said, it was a race thing... Back when those good christians thought they were better than black people... Ever seen to kill a mockingbird? That black man who was accused and found guilty of raping that woman?

Stuff like that happened in real life to... Still does.... A black kid got accused and he was found guilty because he was black...

Religion has nothing to do with it.... Unless you are talking about groups like.. The westborough baptist church or the KK who love to mix religion with their hatred...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
It may very well be that he was innocent, or maybe he wasn't. In any event, it is not a condemnation of our current system.

I am simply asking for a slightly more thoughtful response.

yes it is a condemnation of our flawed system.
the irony of your statement should be obvious.

maybe?
Is or isnt?
With regards to taking someone's life for a crime I would think we would need absolute certainty.
I would think, if you were accused of a crime you didn't do, and looking at a possible death penalty, you would agree.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I knew it! Someone grab him! He's the Zodiac killer!!! YOU messed up big time, bro!

CRAP! I wasn't supposed to be found out until my death bed confession... just a matter of time now before the fbi is banging down my door..thanks !

edit on 4-10-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

I'm surprised we don't have kill teams

Right, you want death squads? Those used once used (and in some cases still used) in countries like Chile, Hondurus, Guetemala and Nicaragua to assasinate political activists. That's a great idea.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Dragoon01 - I have personally buried a friend who was murdered. I would be lying if I said I did not want to exact revenge. The Police got the person responsible and I still took my revenge - in my imagination only - to levels I never thought I could go. Time has softened the harshness of the heartbreak but I still do not want to see the person ever. I believe the person is still in jail - however I am grateful for the grace of time - I am glad my thoughts were not acted on.

Having set the premise - I cried when I read the article about young George - and I do not give a tinkers cuss how long ago it was - it could be from another lifetime - it was wrong - it will always be wrong and never be right. When we as a society do not protect Children - we are devolving. When in hindsight - of many years - we don't have any emotion when we examine our history - then we have reverted to a place I do not want to consider.

Read my post - I included the young girls. If you had completed some research you would know that young George did not even have family - his family were sent away. He was ALL ALONE and A CHILD. Don't ever forget this - we are all Children before we become adults. Imagine yourself in place of young GEORGE. The young girls had family to bury them - George HAD NO ONE.

Much Peace... God knows it is needed.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by PersonalChoice
Just what we need here in the states, teams of licensed killers, hunting down other teams of alleged killers. Sure.. why not just have a Drone Predator flying around every major city with a couple hellfire missiles and a kill capture list hunting down some unlucky individual.

Sure! That would be fantastic.

As long as I'm the one controlling them, not the government.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

so if he couldn't even fit in the electric chair what makes you think he could've done the crime?

What

Robert Thompson and Jon Venables ring a bell?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
To aivlas - Thompson & Venables were not alone all through the court case - they were supported by legal representatives and counsellors and were given a chance at a new life afterwards.

I know the world is full of psychopaths and narcissists of all ages but I don't ever want to become one - because that will mean they won.

Evil will never win.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Not really evidence, just town rumors, and a deathbed confession!

In fact, there has been a person that has been named as being the culprit, who is now deceased. And it was said by the family that there was a deathbed confession.” He added that the rumored culprit had come from a well-known, prominent white family. Another member of that same family had served on the coroner’s inquest jury which recommend that Stinney be prosecuted.

Yes,I read that part. But you know what? Again,that article doesn't prove a thing. And you know what,I can claim that I was the Zodiac killer on my death bed but that doesn't mean I am. Evidence people,evidence.

yet where was the "evidence people, evidence" when this kid was wrongly convicted? it used to be 'innocent until proven guilty'. now it's VERY much the other way around, case in point being amanda knox.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Finally, someone from Texas who knows it, hellelujah, praise the lord!

Ahhh right that explains it, didnt realise the kid was black. Ashamedly the whole whole thing makes allot more sense know, we (as in the UK) would have locked the door and thrown away the key back then. (hangs head in shame)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Dear BadNinja68,

I'm sorry that I didn't communicate well in my post.

1.) Stinney was found legally guilty.
2.) That decision may be overturned, but it hasn't been yet.
3.) The system used to find him guilty is not the same system we have now, e.g. 14 year-olds can't be executed, and science has come a long way.
4.) It is not inconsistent to criticize the system of 70 years ago and also say that it is not a condemnation of our current system. (Unless you're saying any system with a death penalty is a flawed system, but that's just restating your position.)
5.) We probably will never know if he was actually guilty.

Concerning the idea of "absolute certainty" for the death penalty; it's an impossible standard to meet. Nothing is an absolute certainty. It's just a longer way of saying there should be no death penalty.

Penalties for crime are, ultimately, set by the people. You have two choices that I can see; either change the system so criminal penalties are not decided by the people, or change the people's beliefs. The current strategy seems to be to find sympathetic cases and give them all the publicity possible, while ignoring all the cases which would make some one say "It's a good thing he's dead."

In the long run, you'll probably win, but it will be by propaganda not logical argument. Hey, but that's Ok. A win is a win, right?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
On the bright side things have improved greatly for civil rights since then . Poor lad

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

And? the person said he was to small (a child) to commit the crime, I put forward another case with child killers.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In all my posts - I have never mentioned innocence or guilt. I think to charge a Child with a double murder - send his family away - put him through a court trial - sentence him to death - put him in an electric chair - see his face when the cover slips.

This is barbaric and we as humans should realise this. Children can be psychopaths and narcissists and indeed it is often in childhood that the recognised behaviours start to show. This story has no evidence to prove that George - let's us remember his name and that he was a living person like you and I - did anything to the unfortunate girls.

Just remember with the english case - it was TWO older boys who led the younger Jamie Bulger (hope that is correct). George was on his own - overpowered two girls? I have plenty of questions. And factor in racism - people who hate another race tend to hate all the race at every age.

George deserved more respect. As for the murderer - whoever he/she is - they will carry the burden one way or another.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Criminals should be put to death if they killed someone. That's justice. Also, if there's no death penalty, there's no fear of a death penalty to keep someone from killing another. I'm surprised we don't have kill teams like we use in war, to hunt down brutal gang members or habitual criminals who not just commit violent crimes, but spread the virus to other future criminals. It's not civil to the population or family members of victims to see a criminal live a full life. It's just too bad criminals are not allowed to experience the horror that their victims did, but instead pass away comfortably and peaceably.

What makes you think the death penalty deters people from killing? If this is what you believe, then I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. The death penalty is not a deterrent to murder. A murderer is going to murder. "Kill teams?" REALLY? Do you think that is what is going to turn this world around for the better? If you think pursuing vengeance with the use of killing is going to solve the problems of our justice system, then I have to assume that you must not have a lot of life experience.

Your definition of "living a full life" and mine must be on opposite sides of the spectrum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join