It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New evidence could clear 14-year-old executed by South Carolina

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
So.....where are the "but the courts convicted him therefore he deserved to die" crowd now hmm? Hiding in your filth-holes cowering I would imagine.

The pro-death penalty crowd will find any justification whatsoever to get their heroin-like fix of bloodlust and death through state execution. It's their substitute for not being allowed to do it themselves.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

the funny thing is that the justification they use,
also encourages the same crimes

they want to fix the worlds problems by encouraging the exact same actions
real change takes many decades, to solve crime you need to reshape the society its created in..

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
There are no words too choked up - only head hanging, hand wringing and tears... for all
edit on 4-10-2011 by trika3000 because: cause i'm too dumb for spellin'

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Holy S*%t, what kind of judicial system executes a 14 year old with an insubstantial case?

What ever happened to 'The Good Christian' America?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
George Junius Stinney, Jnr
Born 1929 - Died 1944

Rest still little one in the arms of a Loving God. No one was there to protect you or help you - we are there now. You did not die in vain as your story will touch everyone. How brave you were to take the journey through the courtroom on your own - having had your family sent away. How brave you were to meet your Creator in such an unacceptable manner. I bow to your strength and I am humbled by your courage. Be free in Spirit and guide us as we strive to evolve and become better people.

The two little girls who had their lives taken from them - may you also rest in peace and be free in Spirit. At the very least you had your family there with you - to bury you with dignity.

To all the Children who are subject to the horrors of our society - we will get it right one day - we have to.

Much Peace...

NB There is an excellent article on sott.net

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dbriefed
Sorry, I won't go along with the sheeple that think all killing is bad.

Criminals should be put to death if they killed someone. That's justice. Also, if there's no death penalty, there's no fear of a death penalty to keep someone from killing another. I'm surprised we don't have kill teams like we use in war, to hunt down brutal gang members or habitual criminals who not just commit violent crimes, but spread the virus to other future criminals.

It's not civil to the population or family members of victims to see a criminal live a full life. It's just too bad criminals are not allowed to experience the horror that their victims did, but instead pass away comfortably and peaceably.

i like the way you think.

star. chamber comes to mind.

unfortunately people get away with murder everyday.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
chamber comes to mind.

Pro-death advocates dream about the death chamber and watching people die. They wake in the morning salivating and feeling satisfied that they got their daily dose of blood lust.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Criminals should be put to death if they killed someone. That's justice. Also, if there's no death penalty, there's no fear of a death penalty to keep someone from killing another. I'm surprised we don't have kill teams like we use in war, to hunt down brutal gang members or habitual criminals who not just commit violent crimes, but spread the virus to other future criminals.

It's not civil to the population or family members of victims to see a criminal live a full life. It's just too bad criminals are not allowed to experience the horror that their victims did, but instead pass away comfortably and peaceably.

Problem is, the death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent. And if you screw up a conviction, there's no undoing it. Justice is punishing the correct person, killing is not an automatic part of that.

The other thing is that the penal system also carries the possibility of redemption and rehabilitation. If we don't believe in either of those things, then the death penalty should apply to just about every serious crime, because they'll never learn otherwise, will they?

PS please don't use the word 'sheeple', it makes you look bad. Respect the differing views of others.
edit on 4-10-2011 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: a plea.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Criminals should be put to death if they killed someone. That's justice. Also, if there's no death penalty, there's no fear of a death penalty to keep someone from killing another.

Huge psychological mistake there. Study after study has shown the death penalty is NOT a deterrance to murder. But hey the US likes to be as forward thinking as China, Iran , Saudia Arabia, Yemen ,Pakistan, Iraq, you are the top 7 death nations in the world, congratulations.

Come on , US citizens look at the goddam list and you WANT to be amongst them

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Our 'Justice' System is so crazy. For example, if a person is sent to prison on an accusation of molestation by a child, even if the child comes forward and admits they made up the story and nothing happened, they will not allow the accused to walk free, nor be retried. I heard one law person say that 'closure' was more important and they can't reconsider these cases. Its not fair to the victims. Right. Which 'victim?'

I think they should pay the deceased's family some BIG BUCKS!!
edit on 4/10/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Absolutely! Isn't it weird to watch victim's families literally getting off on watching a killer be executed? I've never understood that. It seems like blood lust. If the killer was locked up for the rest of their life, they would suffer far more than if they are dead. I've always been concerned about the victim's families and viewed their enthusiasm and relief as a pathology. I don't think that killing someone is closure.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Do you really think it is justified to kill someone accused of killing another person?

Can you always GUARENTEE that the person accused actually committed the crime? No, you can’t therefore you would be killing an innocent person, which is what you were trying to punish in the first place.

See my point?

If ONE innocent person dies because we got the wrong guy than the death penalty should be abolished.

Maybe you don’t see it that way, but ask yourself… what if it was you? What if it was you on death row, what if it was you in the chair, what would be your stance then?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The death penalty is not an effective deterrence according to the things I've seen. The judicial system claims it's effective, but the analysis I've come across does not bear this out. IF it was effective then I would have to go along with it. HOWEVER, if one single innocent person dies as a result of the death penalty then we cannot say we're blameless. The death of an innocent is murder, especially when we KNOW it will occur. Even if it only happens 1% of the time, or 1 in 1000. KNOWING makes it even worse! NO ONE is blameless in this world.

Anyone who makes a conviction with fervor and satisfaction should be ashamed of themselves. You should be content that you're doing your job, but to feel righteous is indicative of a person that sees no wrong in what they do. HELLO? Innocent people have been convicted! That means YOU are not blameless, judge!!! Have some humility. Peoples lives have been ruined by the justice system. It DOES happen. There should be no righteousness about your job.

Add to that all of the things we do not understand about murderers, psychopaths and other bad people. Who knows what the root causes of these crimes are? We could be wrong about many things! What if it all comes down to genes or a single random event in their life? This, of course, would not justify their actions. We still must convict. It should, however, put into question any sense of righteousness we might have when we correctly convict a bad person.

Blaming evil, in my view, is just an excuse to be self-righteous and indulge your ego.

This boy may or may not be innocent, I can't say for sure. I'm staying away from that.
edit on 4-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sad, just sad. This is an example of how racist the south was (and to an extent still is). Most of the people commenting pro-death penalty didn't even read the article. This boy was subjected to something horrible for something he didn't do. All people who are decent human beings should cry for this boy and his family.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
this is just so so tragic. my heart goes out to all the kids families involved, what a horrible situation to go through. but yet again this goes to show that every single century is filled with powerful men baying for the blood of less powerful ones. the justice system in every country that i know of is flawed, outdated, and in most cases corrupt too.

rather than killing people, would it not be better to put them to work, in a secure place, where the fruits of their labour could benefit the aggrieved family instead?

if it were up to me, i'd have 'criminals' working on farms growing food, factories making things, make them productive rather than costing us all for their upkeep. just my 2c.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zerbot565

killing a "killer" to promote that killing is wrong is wrong if anything it makes you just as guilty of killing, id call it passive collective murder.

well i happened to catch a glimpse of National Geographic today.

show about inmates in death row.

in the show they said, the execution of the victim is listed and registered as a homicide, yet it's a 'legal' homicide according to the law.

sickening those even exist.
edit on 4-10-2011 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I've never heard about this case before. It's quite disturbing.
Who in their right mind executes a 14 year old? Shame on the person who flipped that switch.
I will never understand how people can support killing a human, it blows my mind.

Even if he had been kept in prison all this time, he could at least be exonerated at 81 years old.
Not one single person on this thread can imagine what it would feel like to be re-united with loved ones after all that time, or see the sun rise once again as a free man, or find love again... i could go on.

Try and put yourself in his chair before you support flipping that switch.

Oftentimes have I heard you speak of one who commits a wrong as though he were not one of you, but a stranger unto you and an intruder upon your world.
But I say that even as the holy and the righteous cannot rise beyond the highest which is in each one of you, so the wicked and the weak cannot fall lower than the lowest which is in you also.
And as a single leaf turns not yellow, but with the silent knowledge of the whole tree, so the wrong-doer cannot do wrong without the hidden will of you all.
- Kahlil Gibran

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
One wrongful conviction is too many. One wrongful execution is cause to tear the entire system down.

And people still wonder why I scoff at the notion that this is the best we can do.

Just relax, sit back and put your faith in it. It's all good and nice. Until it comes for you.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

Not really evidence, just town rumors, and a deathbed confession!

In fact, there has been a person that has been named as being the culprit, who is now deceased. And it was said by the family that there was a deathbed confession.” He added that the rumored culprit had come from a well-known, prominent white family. Another member of that same family had served on the coroner’s inquest jury which recommend that Stinney be prosecuted.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

And people wonder why the death sentence should be banned....

sad...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join