It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just recieved our first "smart electicity bill" as we knew it would be it is a shocker!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
We live in South western Ontario here and just got our fist smart ass bill and here are the stats.
We are billed for 60 days or two months here at a time.
We are on gas heat and gas hot water and only two of us here in a fairly small house.
This bill is higher by $70.00 bucks and that includes the 10% energy reduction bonus....(Election this week) go figure how long this 10% lasts after the election.
So here we are paying 70 bucks more already and this is the slow time for electricity here just wait till we have the air conditioning going......"It will be right to the moon"
Anyone here in Ontario or wherever chime in, we would like to know your thoughts and what your increases are or have been.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 3-10-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Enlighten those of us not in Ontario as to what a "smart electricity bill" is supposed to be. And, if you don't mind (don't if you don't want to), how much is your bill?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
its from the smart meters they are installing everywhere. soon to be here in america

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

I'm from the area, and having just moved here from NS was shocked that that was the new deal. So I've been very careful about when I use my big appliances. I'm just wondering if you have done the same (i.e. Dishwasher/Laundry at night after 7pm or on Sat/Sun?)

Strangely enough, my bills are way cheaper here in Ontario than they ever were in NS.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You're not really presenting us with much information.

Has your consumption increased?

What is the consumption figure with the new meter?

What were the consumption figures for the previous 12 months?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
reply to post by Iwinder

Enlighten those of us not in Ontario as to what a "smart electricity bill" is supposed to be. And, if you don't mind (don't if you don't want to), how much is your bill?

The smart bill is just that they put a smart reading meter on your house, it is supposed to be more accurate and you pay more during peak times.
They want you to get up at 3 am and do your laundry so Walmart and others can operate will full lights and air conditioning running year round.
Link here
www.theglobeandmail.com...

And here is the government view
Link here
www.mei.gov.on.ca...
To answer your question this bill we just got today was for $362.59 for sixty days.
Our last bill was $70.00 less..
I hope this helps you understand what is going on here, also our last bill included air conditioning to boot.
We are and have been running the heat here.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 3-10-2011 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InshaAllah
its from the smart meters they are installing everywhere. soon to be here in america

Are these the meters that are read wirelessly? I'm in SC, and if so, I've had one for about a year. And, I haven't really noticed an increase that couldn't be attributed to consumption.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I live in N. Indiana and your total is more that
all my utilities together and that includes my
cable bill. Wow, whats going on there?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Woooo! Thats up there
From NS here. We go every two months as well. I had a small apartment with just me, but lots of equipment going (computers and the like)

about 120 per two months i believe. IT got jacked by 14% im pretty sure, or will be in the near future.

And this is why big corp is bad, and suppression of Free Energy.

Le sigh

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
same here in the uk.. prices have been constantly going up for years now. gas and electric..

they have just announced another massive hike in the gas prices, conveniently in time for autumn and winter..

Scottish Power is going to increase domestic gas prices by 19% in August has shocked consumers already reeling from high inflation and static wages. The rise is bound to be followed by double-digit increases by the rest of the industry, and will make for a miserable autumn for thousands of hard-pressed families across the country.

www.telegraph.co.uk... e-higher-energy-bills.html

British Gas has announced a price rise of 18%

This will bring the average annual cost of a standard dual fuel bill from £1,096 to £1,288, and affect 9 million of its customers.

The news will come as a shock for British Gas customers who last experienced a price rise in December, when the company increased its prices by 6.9% or £43 for gas and 6.7% or £28 for electricity.

www.uswitch.com... utilities/british-gas-price-rise-of-18-on-gas-and-16-on-electricity-announced-900000352/

in the space of a year gas has gone up almost 25 per cent in the uk..

all the time the companies mentioned are making huge profits.. its been reported british gas make 3m profit a day!!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I live in N. Indiana and your total is more that
all my utilities together and that includes my
cable bill. Wow, whats going on there?

Good question and I have the bill right in front of my so my numbers are correct.
Small brick house here and if anyone can post a pic for me of our house I will send it to them via PM
All new high tech windows (very thermal]
Like I said just two adults with maybe 3 loads of Laundry a week and once a week for the dishwasher.
Gas stove as well here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I built a very energy efficient house. I just installed photovoltaic panels last year.

This years electric bill so far ..... PG&E owes me $100.

We do not use much power during the day and do our laundry on the weekends when the differential rate is the best for us.

I'd hate to have to pay $360 every other month.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
The smart bill is just that they put a smart reading meter on your house, it is supposed to be more accurate and you pay more during peak times.
They want you to get up at 3 am and do your laundry so Walmart and others can operate will full lights and air conditioning running year round.

To answer your question this bill we just got today was for $362.59 for sixty days.
Our last bill was $70.00 less..
I hope this helps you understand what is going on here, also our last bill included air conditioning to boot.
We are and have been running the heat here.

Thank you. It does sound like the same thing we have here. However, I don't think that we're charged more for peak hours but I haven't really paid attention to it because, like I said, my bill hasn't increased enough for me to notice. I'll go check it out though.

Just on a chance this makes you feel a little better... My bill is around $300 a month, so $362 for 2 months sounds really good.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
so how many killowatt hours did you consume last billing period and at what rate, and how much this billing period?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Ours went up a lot when they put us on it too.

About 40.00 a month. We didn't start using more - in fact, we changed to the ugly lightbulbs.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is the end of summer period which your bill is still high from AC usage? As Chad pointed out, what were your previous bills? I will disagree with the meters. The U.S. has been raping the people by figuring a percentage of usage without sending out someone to verify my meter. I put a stop to that and made them send out a tech. My bill went down. Many people will not dispute their bill. Guess who makes out?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a bit off topic here - I was paying for gas yesterday, behind an old man at the cash. (in nova scotia) chatting about the cost of oil versus electric. He told me that he recalled the good old days when electricity was considered a necessity and given to people for free. FREE!! And here we are paying through the nose to stay warm. Just unfair. That is what happens when a monopoly exists. The only control we have is to stop using it. And they know we won't do that in any great numbers. But just like the occupy movement, maybe we should! We should all shut off everything but the refridgerators and wait until they lower their rates by about half. Show them that we live in a society where the consumers set the value of things, not the corporations.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Theyre here in southwest Michigan right now installing the meters. I'm renting camp sites to a group of installers from New York. Haven;t really talked to them yet

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by chrissiel123

Reading the bill here as I type this.
1,184.00 kwh at tier 1 charge cost =$80.51
1,292.12 kwh at tier 2 charge cost =$102.08
Delivery charge $104.05
Regulatory charges $ 17.50
Debt Retirement charges $16.47
Total $320.88
HST (Tax) $41.71
Total is $362.59
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

great, thanks. now what was the same info from your october bill from 2010?
That is the only way to know what has changed, if anything. If you dont have the bill, and it is not on your bill (my NS bill always has last years usage for comparison) then you can get the info by calling. It doesnt make a lot of sense to compare this bill to the last one really, you have to compare it to the same dates as last year.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join