It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to arrest a cop?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
To Begin this thread i would like to say that i am in no way shape or form, advocating violence, but advocating preventing violence and defense of the helpless.

Ok so lets pretend, hypothetically, that there maybe, could be, possibly, something along the lines of a massive protest in the major financial centers of the united states(end sarcasm) and American citizens are being denied their first amendment rights to the point where they are beaten battered and bruised by the police.

Would it then be appropriate to try and perform something like a citizens arrest on a police officer that was acting out of line?

Obviously it might take a group of people to restrain an unruly cop, But do we have a right to defend our rights by using the same methods that the right takers use to take our rights away?

We are all just human beings in the grand scheme of things, the difference between being a cop and a citizen is only a label, an illusion, they are NOT endowed with authority at birth by the almighty. Yeah they might be tougher and bigger and better trained, but don't underestimate the ant-hill.

p.s. amazon.com has some really good deals on solid metal handcuffs

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Not only is it possible...It is your duty .

But um...good luck with that

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
lol it may result in your death.

but its a great question because we should be able to

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think you should try it, but you'll do 15-20 for kidnapping, assault, and wanton endangerment, but sure go right ahead and do it.

Let's dispel the myth right here and right now: There is no such thing as a citizen's arrest. It's been done in the past and any person that attempted it and forcibly detained the "arrestee" was brought up on charges. It doesn't work. You wanna do something to curtail these incidents, run for office. In the meantime I think the hippies squatting on Wall Street should quit screaming like a b**ch every time a cop brushes shoulders with them.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Deafseeingeyedog

Laws vary from state to state on a (citizens arrest)...so I would study up on them first....and then make sure I had plenty of credible witnesses with me...before I would ever make a citizens arrest....have the video cameras ready too.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I imagine any attempt to restrain an officer of the law would instantly lead to you being seen as someone commiting the offence of obstructing a police officer, or something , far worse, who knows.

I see where you're coming from, perfect world an all that, but surely it would always be deemed by the law as a punishable offence. Otherwise, you're putting all your faith in a revolution. So in a way if you try to go about cuffing a police officer, you are then participating in an active revolution, that would be judged by the eyes of the law as treason or something. for those participatig surely ? I personally wouldn't want to toy with the system unless it was something that I was willing to risk my life long liberty for. I've got no idea about the law or anything, just my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Just because it says you can "on paper" does not mean you can "in reality". You won't find a citizen being allowed to arrest a police officer, if you can, I'll retract my opinions.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
There are police that do in-fact police the police.

I believe they are referred to as Internal Affairs.

en.wikipedia.org...

It is very possible to arrest a cop, you just have to go about it the right way and not do anything stupid to put yourself in jeopardy.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
If a Cop braeks the Law then yes.
But tell me, would you arrest one of the MOB?
No! they would brake your legs are just kill you.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
People do arrest cops sometimes. You have to commandeer his gun first. Then arrest him. Shoot him if he resists, just like they do unto others all the time. Or, I guess, first, tase him in the face six or eight times, once again using the police own proven effective tactics. And, voila! Citizen's Arrest!

It's tricky, but can be done. Usually you are then done in by the media circus that ensues, calling you a cop killer and stuff. At that point it starts costing a lot of money, for Johnny Cochrane and all that. But, if you have enough money, you win! This is the USA! The Golden Rule applies: he who has the most gold, makes the rules!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
People do arrest cops sometimes. You have to commandeer his gun first. Then arrest him. Shoot him if he resists, just like they do unto others all the time. Or, I guess, first, tase him in the face six or eight times, once again using the police own proven effective tactics. And, voila! Citizen's Arrest!

It's tricky, but can be done. Usually you are then done in by the media circus that ensues, calling you a cop killer and stuff. At that point it starts costing a lot of money, for Johnny Cochrane and all that. But, if you have enough money, you win! This is the USA! The Golden Rule applies: he who has the most gold, makes the rules!

And in the process of the above, some other cop, or however many other cops are around, will shoot and kill you.
Or taze you a dozen or so times until you are dead.

Internal affairs is the only sane way to do it and not end up dead.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

sorry I couldnt resist

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a cop has the authority to suspend your constitutional & civil rights by the authority of an 'arrest'...
you or other commoners without the legal authority to 'Arrest' others would be breaking the law in trying to detain the cop from the performance of their duties (be their actions legal/ethical or not)... there is No excape !

then there is the commadre' between officers, and the buddies will defend to the point of death their buddy from any attacks, lethal or not...
its a 'code' that's something like ' the-thin-blue-line' where they protect one another in court or line of duty or in the line of fire
edit on 3-10-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Here's most of what you need to look at:

Arizona revisted the law here

The law of citizen's arrest.

Example

NC Specific references

ps - I didn't just happen to know all this; it was in the wikipedia footnotes for citizen's arrest. Just didn't want anybody to think I was an attorney.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Interesting hypothetical. The answer to that question, at least in the way I perceive it, is no.

First off - Freedom of Speech and protest / right to assemble is a constitutional right. However, it ends when it interferes with the rights of others. In this case, if protestors block a public right of way (street) or block enterance to a business, they are in fact violating the law and are not protected by the 1st amendment (just as yelling fire in a crowded theatre is not protected).

Blocking a public street / road, and I have seen people argue, is valid because the road is open to the public. The problem is the people who arent there protesting who cant go down the road beause of the protestors, is having their rights infringed on (freedom of movement within / across state / state lines.

Second - Civilians arent privy to the exact nature of a police call. If you are driving down the road and you see a cop and a person duking it out, how do you know whats going on? Secondly Law Enforcement is empowered by the people to enforce the laws that are passed, where as civilians (depending on state) could effect a citizens arrest, the chances of doing to law enforcement ar slim to none (again situation specific).

Most of the comments I see on this site are whats considered 20/20 hindsight. People have the entire story (or most of it) from A to Z. The problem with that view is it does not take into account the fact that the officers at the time didnt have the luxery of knowing whats going on because they were busy being invovled in it.

If you have an issue with an officer, by all means exercise your rights to complain and hold public officals accountable. However, there is a time and place for everything, and roadside / middle of a call is not a good idea.

What people fail to take into account is statutory authority to enforce the laws. Law Enforcement has that mandate, where as civilians do not (to the exten of a LEO).

when in doubt, be a good witness. Attempting to get involved in something you dont completely understand (the call / dynamics surrounding it / backstory / prios / etc) can actually make the situation worse, possibly ending in death of you, the cop or the perosn they were dealing with.

One of the biggest stumbling blocks I see in these types of threads is a breakdown in knowledge on the part of the people. I respect the fact people want to hold law enforcement accountible and I strongly encourage it, along with holding government accountible and participating in government.

What I cant respect though is wanting to hold LEO's accountible when its based on opinion and not law. People do not understand how some laws work, and they come to incorrect conclusions. They are not familiar with other laws that only apply to law enforcement because of the very nature of the job. What people see on TV (law and roder etc) is not how it works.

Example -
A person can kill a neighbor and be arrested, charged, tried, found guilty and sentenced to death without ever being read their Miranda warnings.

The 4th Amendment to the Constitution does not apply to the individual, it only applies to the government.

A citizen holds dual citizenship - The state they live in as well as the country they live in.

There are exceptions to the 4th amendment on a search and seizure.

A Law Enforcement Officer can initiate an offensive action first.

Traffic law and Criminal law, even though they both fall under the criminal statutes, are governed by differnt standards (interviewing a driver in an accident without Miranda).

A citizen is protected by the 5th amendment, where as Law Enforcement is to an extent. We can be ordered to provide information. In addition to Miranda, Law Enforcement is also read their Garrity Rights. If we are ordered to give an answer, it cant be used against us in court, but it can be used against us in an IA investigation as well as evaluations.

You get the idea... People make an opinion based on what they think should occur, and not on what the law says. To me that is one of the biggest problems we face. The only way for things to get better is for both sides to open lines of communications. Civilians MUST get invovled in government and hold the elected officials accountible.

How is it not dangerous for a civilian who doesnt know how the law works to involve themselves in a situation that places them into direct confrontation with a Police Officer? Civilians dont take into account that they arent the judge or the PA, or even think their action might be illegal.

Food for thought...

Be intelligent on this topic..... please.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

A citizens arrest is not a federal law. If its allowed in Arizona to make a citizens arrest, that Arizona law will not be valid in New Mexico or New York.

This goes back to what I was sayng about knowing and understanding how a law works before involving yourself.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
then there is the commadre' between officers, and the buddies will defend to the point of death their buddy from any attacks, lethal or not...
its a 'code' that's something like ' the-thin-blue-line' where they protect one another in court or line of duty or in the line of fire

Please don't stereotype. Not all Officers are like this, just as not every person an officer comes into contact with is a criminal / drain on society.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Please don't stereotype. Not all Officers are like this, just as not every person an officer comes into contact with is a criminal / drain on society.

But the problem lies in the fact that if an officer of the law has himself broken the law or was guilty of blatant misconduct which is when the situation of a citizens arrest might arise, the officer is most likely sure that he will be backed up by his buddies and their victim subjected to further injury instead of justice.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Your position is based off the officer doing an illegal action. The question then comes back to how is the action illegal? Officer misconduct is anot an arrestable offense since offer conduct is a policy issue and not a matter of law.

if you observe a questionable action, by all means report the officer. Attempting to make an arrest off something you p[erceive as being wrong doesnt make the action illegal though, and there in lies the problem. This is what I was saying when I talked about actually knowing the law and understanding it.

If you dont know thelaw and how it applies, then how can you as a civilian make a "lawful" arrest? I sue the term lawful because for a citizen to effect an arrest he must be absolutely sure a crime was committed. An Officer on the other hand is not subject to that rule because we do NOT charge the individuals, the PA attorney does. An officer can still make an unlawful arrest, and again it beomces to jurisdiction of the PA / FBI (should civil rights violations be sustained).

Without knowing, how can a person knowingly act?
edit on 3-10-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Very intelligent feedback and much appreciated!

My hypothetical situation i had in mind, to be specific, would be something along the lines of where there's a 6 foot tall 200 pound cop, thrashing with excessive force, a 110 lb female in the middle of a protest. With witness's, would there be any legal way for a group of citizens to detain a cop in order to halt the beatings and at the same time, get the attention of the authorities who would be able to take real action?

Yes, i am an idealist, please don't shoot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join