It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better than a Hummer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
That thing reminds me of a vehicle from the Secret Weapons of WWII expansion for Battlefield 1942... the German forces got an amphibious jeep-type thing.

Of course, it wasn't particularly effective on either land or water, but you know. The cool factor makes up for that, I guess.

The Porsche Schwimmwagen is very cool, even though it's pretty much a bathtub on wheels:

[edit on 6-9-2004 by Aviator]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Nothing's better then a Hummer

Nudge, Nudge

A good old fashioned cj-5,cj-6, or cj-7 would be much better than a hummer. The hummer is far too wide to make it on most trails, it certainly is too wide for going up river beds, wadis, washes, and arroyos. It is also too wide for driving between trees in heavily forested areas.....If you only want to stay on roads, then you are good to go with a hummer.

A Hummer is built so that if you drive over a landmine, if the Hummer is armoured properly, you won't get killed. Any jeep does that, it gets blown to smitherines. The Hummer was not built purely to JUST go anywhere. It has other purposes as well.

A Hummer though will go pretty much anywhere, aside from over huge rocks perhaps, and I doubt the military moves convoys over huge rocks. That's where helicopters come in.

The truth is the Hummer is one of the greatest military vehicles ever created.

So is the Jeep (oh, and the British adopted the Jeep and made their own version out of it to by the way).

The thing is, for modern warfare, the Jeep is a lousy vehicle.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
That thing has quite possibly the ugliest grill ever on a vehicle

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Broadsword2004

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
Nothing's better then a Hummer

Nudge, Nudge

A good old fashioned cj-5,cj-6, or cj-7 would be much better than a hummer. The hummer is far too wide to make it on most trails, it certainly is too wide for going up river beds, wadis, washes, and arroyos. It is also too wide for driving between trees in heavily forested areas.....If you only want to stay on roads, then you are good to go with a hummer.

A Hummer is built so that if you drive over a landmine, if the Hummer is armoured properly, you won't get killed. Any jeep does that, it gets blown to smitherines. The Hummer was not built purely to JUST go anywhere. It has other purposes as well.

A Hummer though will go pretty much anywhere, aside from over huge rocks perhaps, and I doubt the military moves convoys over huge rocks. That's where helicopters come in.

The truth is the Hummer is one of the greatest military vehicles ever created.

So is the Jeep (oh, and the British adopted the Jeep and made their own version out of it to by the way).

The thing is, for modern warfare, the Jeep is a lousy vehicle.

If you are referring to the landrover... no it is in fact an indigenous British design that is supperior to the jeep and arguably the hummer as well

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Nothing is superior to the Hummer in terms of a general-purpose military vehicle; off-road wise, yes, there are superior vehicles, but try driving a Landrover at 45 miles per hour over extremely rough terrain; only a Hummer can do that really well.

And no, I am not referring to the Landrover; I forget the name of this vehicle, but it was in an Off-Road magazine that I read about it. It is like a British version of the American military Jeep, because the British basically copied the Jeep's design, but modified it somewhat.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
uhh dude you ARE talking about the land rover because thats what they use.
do you want me to go down to the TA base and ask them for a picture of it?
also we didnt copy anything, we got a landrover and modified it.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Dude, no I am not referring to the Landrover, you've got your vehicles mistaken. And yes Britain DID copy the Jeep; the Landrover didn't copy the Jeep; I forget what this vehicle was. I'll have to dig out the magazine article and then I can tell you about it in detail.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Dude, no I am not referring to the Landrover, you've got your vehicles mistaken. And yes Britain DID copy the Jeep; the Landrover didn't copy the Jeep; I forget what this vehicle was. I'll have to dig out the magazine article and then I can tell you about it in detail.

if your talking about the Truck Utility Medium then that isnt a land rover, it isnt even a jeep.
or mabye the small quad like vehicle which is quite funky?
uhh how can i? i just looked up the british army AND RM site. no jeeps except the land rover there and the Truck Utility Medium

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I said Britain COPIED the Jeep, I didn't say they literally took American Jeeps and stuck the British logo on them.

Just cool your heels, when I can find the article, I will post what it says, and then you can pound on me afterwards if it is wrong.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I said Britain COPIED the Jeep, I didn't say they literally took American Jeeps and stuck the British logo on them.

Just cool your heels, when I can find the article, I will post what it says, and then you can pound on me afterwards if it is wrong.

what? who said i was saying that?
they took land rover defenders and upgraded them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join