It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man tears his own eyes out during Mass. A sign of possession or just insanity?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
you'd think someone would stop him, yaknow? "ewwww, that guy just ripped his eye out!!!! WTF!!!......lets see if he'll rip the other one out!"

could it be demonic? sure i suppose, but it could also be the usual crazies. at any rate, that sucks.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Insanity. This is mild for most mental institutions, but I'm not surprised it happened at a church.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
LOL this is clearly possession. For those who believe it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Don't limit crazy to religion, lol. Crazy takes all forms:

He described himself in oxymoronic terms, “a cynical existentialist, antihuman humanist, antisocial social darwinist [sic], realistic idealist and godlike atheist” on his YouTube user page Sturmgeist89.[14][15]
Here I tend to think that it's more often very confused people who are violent.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Devil is real. possession is real, it just is going to pop up as some other "crazy" type of illness.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Wow, must have been the most boring church service ever.

Seriously though, to get a grip on your eyeballs to pull them out is hard enough, let alone overcoming your bodies traumatic pain threshold to do so. The voices could not have succeeded alone I think.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
If he is hearing voices, then it is probably schizophrania.

I agree...also,there's the possibility this dude was on something.PCP anyone ? just thinking about it is making my eyeballs hurt,sheesh.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I dont think this one can be contributed to possesion. I am going to go with bad trip/schizophrenia

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I think PCP is a valid option also, or maybe both.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
My wife is Catholic. She once convinced me to go to Mass with her. By the end I wanted to rip my eyes out. I totally get where this guy is coming from.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I just read this two page puntastic thread about it last night...Where did that thread go?

Time slip??? Dimensional shift?
I have to agree with the poster whom said they don't blame him if he had to sit in church he'd rip his eyes out! I agree. I can't stand sitting in church, especially those crazy ones they start talking in tongues and stuff, what the heck?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

Hehehe that's funny.

However, I've never had the urge to rip my own eyeballs out while in church. I think that goes for the majority of people in the world, except poor old Aldo of course.

A 46-year-old Italian church-goer tripping out on PCP seems highly unlikely to me, but I guess never say never. I am leaning more towards schizophrenia, due to the voices, but there ARE a lot of things out there that can't be explained.

I know it's easy to pin the blame on religion and it's evils, but surely we need to take a certain amount of responsibility for ourselves and our own well-being? Surely strength of mind has a say in it as well? I had the teachings of the Bible drummed into me when I was younger, yet I'm far from a preaching bible-basher.

I don't know, I just think there are a lot of factors to take into account - but whether it's schizophrenia (or whatever state of mind that causes you to want to gouge your eyes out) or demon possession, there MUST be heaps more to the story that we don't know about. I wonder how his recovery is going, if he's still claiming to hear the voices, if his family noticed strange behavior leading up to this.

It would be such a horrifying thing to witness, and the pain would be unbearable, and the blood loss... I can't believe the guy lived through it! Eek, what a funny old world we live in.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Didn't Bush say that god spoke to him?

What if god had said "Tear your eyes out?"

Would Bush have done it?

If not, does that mean he doesn't have faith?

How do we know what god wants?

God's wisdom is not our own; we cannot know.

There's no way to know if a voice someone hears really IS god.

In the old testament, god orders leaders to commit genocide in his name.

So the idea that we would KNOW is questionable.

Christians will say "We cannot understand god's choices."

What if god told you to commit genocide against Muslim-dominated countries?

That's not much different from what we see in the bible.

Would you comply?

Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that god speaks to people.

If someone tells me god speaks to them then I'll think they're crazy.

And dangerous, and even if they say god tells them that life is a box of chocolates.

Because tomorrow they might say that god tells them to rip their eyes out.

Reminds me of Nightfall by Isaac Asimov. In one of the movie adaptions, the Apostles of Flame (i think that was what it was) voluntarily allow crows to peck their eyes out. It may have been some other cult. But the whole idea was that they claimed the universe could only be understood through faith, not science. So they had their eyes removed since they think eyes are deceiving.

Reminds me of Cognitive Dissonance more than enlightenment.
edit on 4-10-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I looked up a few sources on demonic possession and self mutilation.

This one only mentions it in passing but, also discusses regular mental ailments that can resemble demonic possession.

Demonic Possession

A possessed individual is typically characterized by having strange physical ailments or disfigurements; verbal outbursts, mostly obscene or sacrilegious in nature; violent behavior and vulgar behavior; bodily spasms and contortions; ability to speak languages never before studied; self-mutilation; "superhuman" abilities such as psychic abilities, abnormal strength, or an ability to perform behaviors out of the realm of human possibility such as levitation; cessation of normal bodily functions for periods of time, including breathing and heart beat; and a pronounced revulsion to symbols, places, people, objects, and ceremonies having any religious context. Other phenomena associated with the presence of a demon include an acrid stench; marked decrease in the temperature of the room which a possessed individual occupies; writing appearing out of nowhere; sounds and voices arising from nowhere; and objects moving on their own and destruction of objects in the room, without anyone having laid a hand upon them

Bryn Mawr edu

This one gives a good biblical perspective:

A Biblical perspective of self mutilation

In the New Testament, we find cutting oneself was associated with someone who was possessed by demons (Mark 5:2-5).

And when he was come out of the ship, immediately there met him out of the tombs a man with an unclean spirit, Who had his dwelling among the tombs; and no man could bind him, no, not with chains: Because that he had been often bound with fetters and chains, and the chains had been plucked asunder by him, and the fetters broken

in pieces: neither could any man tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains, and in the tombs, crying, and cutting himself with stones.

Self-Mutilation was a characteristic behavior of someone possessed by evil spirits.

Jesus also dealt with a young boy who was possessed by a spirit that tried to destroy the body of its host. This story is found in the Gospel of Mark chapter 9 verses 17-22

Why is self- mutilation important to demonism?

1. The first and obvious answer is that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. The cutting, the burning, tattooing and piercing could be considered vandalism to the temple.

I Cor.6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy
Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your
own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body,
and in your spirit, which are God’s.

2. Satan understands the importance of the shedding of the blood.

Heb.9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without
shedding of blood is no remission. ( The self mutilation of the body becomes a
sacrifice to the devil.)

3. Self-Mutilation becomes a sign of ownership. Just like a cattle owner brands his cattle to prove his ownership, the devil wants his people to carry his brand for a life time. Yes a person can be saved and transfers the title of ones soul to Christ yet they still bare the devils scares while living on earth.

Glory Ministries

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I just read this two page puntastic thread about it last night...Where did that thread go?

Time slip??? Dimensional shift?

The mods closed it because this thread came out earlier but, you can still see it here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In my opinion, they should have moved it to the Jokes and Puns froum instead.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

the symbolism of cutting an eye out is ritualistic in a sense, i had heard from lots of different pastors both from Latin America, Mexico and here in the US about witches or occultist sent to infiltrate a church(Jesuits do this too). this was also confirmed by john Todd the former illuminist, so my bet was he was one of them or had a evil spirit that could not resist the presence of GOD
edit on 6-10-2011 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2011 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join