It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does protesting accomplish?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have all ways thought the point of protesting was to spread awareness, most people treat it like its going to solve all the country's problems. What is yelling slogan's going to do? We past the point of protest, every one has heard or knows whats going on and coming so their is no need to spread awareness threw a protest.
Protest end up hurting us more then helping us. I am glad that the media has not shown full coverage of this protest because they would just spout out propaganda and use "anarchist" prevaricator's. They only bring police states. Just look at Egypt they are still in a martial law state.

For starters if you want to help STOP GIVING YOUR MONEY TO THESE LARGE CORPORATIONS! Any large corporations, even the ones you buy your food from. If you want to know who not to buy from so your not supporting them, do some research into symbolism, for example
therev67.tripod.com...
Their are millions more, just about every brand in the grocery store has one of these symbols. You would not eat cake given to you buy a evil genius because you would not trust them, why would you trust these masonic logo corporations to feed you?

I liked the way this man said it.
www.youtube.com...

So what do you think protesting in this MODERN DAY police state will accomplish?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-10-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I agree with a good portion of this, the most effective method of protesting large companies is boycotting...The only problem is that the financial institutions are a bit tougher to get at. The aspect of that, we signed our mortgage and within 24 hours it was sold to citi, who ended up screwing us over. Things like that, we just can't really control except to scream.

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
I have all ways thought the point of protesting was to spread awareness, most people treat it like its going to solve all the country's problems. What is yelling slogan's going to do? We past the point of protest, every one has heard or knows whats going on and coming so their is no need to spread awareness threw a protest.
Protest end up hurting us more then helping us. I am glad that the media has not shown full coverage of this protest because they would just spout out propaganda and use "anarchist" prevaricator's. They only bring police states. Just look at Egypt they are still in a martial law state.

For starters if you want to help STOP GIVING YOUR MONEY TO THESE LARGE CORPORATIONS! Any large corporations, even the ones you buy your food from. If you want to know who not to buy from so your not supporting them, do some research into symbolism, for example
therev67.tripod.com...
Their are millions more, just about every brand in the grocery store has one of these symbols. You would not eat cake given to you buy a evil genius because you would not trust them, why would you trust these masonic logo corporations to feed you?

www.youtube.com...

So what do you think protesting in this modern day police state will accomplish?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If you are genuinely looking for an answer from someone who protests and are willing to read with an open mind, may I refer you to my thread here?;

Just my point of view, but it might give you an insight..

My answer:

Some people don't see a point to anonymous (or protesting in general), or point out that they could be doing something positive instead of standing around with signs..
They COULD all gather together and feed the homeless, (some of them do that too!) but things need to be taken one step at a time. What's the point in clothing and feeding someone for a few days, until resources run out.. when the problems with society that put these people in that position still exist?

Signs and banners never changed anything.
Unfortunately though, we live in a world where people at home are faceless, and nameless numbers.
The governments across the world don't see individual people... they see statistics, and percentages.
It's people like you and me, people who really don't have a lot, and struggle through life, without complaining to anyone except close friends and family.. that these b*****rds like.
"Sure they moan, but they keep paying taxes, and no-one listens to them.. who cares"

Governments have to be pressured into doing whats right, because to them 'what's cost effective' or 'what's easier' will always come first.
Movements and protests like this need to be a persistent annoyance buzzing in the ear of TPTB, because it's only when something wont go away, will they change anything at all. Without numbers of people gathered together, protesting, they may never SEE anger, they may never hear our concerns... many voices are better than just yours, or mine alone.

MSM, and people who are down on this movement will damage it, and it will fizzle out. Which is such a crying shame, when it's such a beautiful opportunity.
Don't we deserve to be seen? Don't we deserve to be part of that constant annoying buzzing in the ear of TPTB?

edit on 3-10-2011 by Deplume because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97
I agree with a good portion of this, the most effective method of protesting large companies is boycotting...The only problem is that the financial institutions are a bit tougher to get at. The aspect of that, we signed our mortgage and within 24 hours it was sold to citi, who ended up screwing us over. Things like that, we just can't really control except to scream.

therev67.tripod.com...

www.youtube.com...

So what do you think protesting in this modern day police state will accomplish?

Then do what you can, just because you cant boycott every aspect does not mean you cant boycott. If you have a bank account with one of these large banks get rid of it, if you buy food from these company's stop, if you buy clothes from nike,reebok, adidas ect then stop. If you do not support GMO food then stop buying it. It takes time, but at least you will have the higher moral ground.

I am young as soon as i get out of the house I do not plan on giving back to ANY aspect of the nWo

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, protesting has only done so very little throughout history, only the little things like:
Gave women the rights to vote, own property, have abortions, be paid equal wages and essentially become first class citizens.
Gave black people in america the same rights and become first class citizens.
Gave workers proper rights in the work place so that employers couldn't abuse there labour.

But yano, maybe protesting is pointless. We should just accept that we are in the # and let that top 1% of the human population steer us into total collapse. Im sure they know what they're doing and have our best interests in mind.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I made a thread awhile ago called "protesting and the illusion of change"

It shows that protesting hasn't really changed a thing.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Well, protesting has only done so very little throughout history, only the little things like:
Gave women the rights to vote, own property, have abortions, be paid equal wages and essentially become first class citizens.
Gave workers proper rights in the work place so that employers couldn't abuse there labour.

But yano, maybe protesting is pointless. We should just accept that we are in the # and let that top 1% of the human population steer us into total collapse. Im sure they know what they're doing and have our best interests in mind.

This is why I said in a modern day police state. Protest no longer work. Most people do not under stand how powerful these people are. Like the guy in the video said they are now masters of protest infiltration. They touch every single aspect of our life and most of us do not even know it. Do some research into the occult and you will start seeing it every where you go. I do think protest are positive, they bring people together to meet and create new idea's, they get people started on a activist journey but their is only so much screaming chants with a group of people can do.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Protests are good evidence of the bicameral mind. They are concrete examples of normal individuals seeking external authority. All of these people in the streets? They do not know what to do. They seek the guidance of an external authority figure to tell them what to do.

People who understand the bicameral mind can take advantage of it. Are you being unconsciously directed by external authorities or do you introspect and use the function of consciousness to narratize what you need to do to go from A to B?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Really why is there still wage disparity between men and women in the US if women are first class citizens?

Black people are not first class citizens in this country. If everyone was first class citizens there would be no "elites", spoiled handful of people who feel they are entitled to have everything and everyone else "nada".

But yano, maybe protesting is pointless. We should just accept that we are in the # and let that top 1% of the human population steer us into total collapse. I'm sure they know what they're doing and have our best interests in mind.

In some instances protesting may be pointless. Is it pointless in the case of OWS? Personally I can't say other than time will tell.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

This is why I said in a modern day police state. Protest no longer work. Most people do not under stand how powerful these people are. Like the guy in the video said they are now masters of protest infiltration. They touch every single aspect of our life and most of us do not even know it. Do some research into the occult and you will start seeing it every where you go. I do think protest are positive, they bring people together to meet and create new idea's, they get people started on a activist journey but their is only so much screaming chants with a group of people can do.

Would YOU stand against an army that outnumbers you in the billions?
Have some faith in the 99% sir/madam.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An]

Really why is there still wage disparity between men and women in the US if women are first class citizens?

There maybe such a disparity i dont deny it, but think about how much worse it would be if women had never protested against it? Atleast we actually have a place in the workforce now and can work our way up the ladder. Im grateful for that.

Black people are not first class citizens in this country. If everyone was first class citizens there would be no "elites", spoiled handful of people who feel they are entitled to have everything and everyone else "nada".

Black people seems to be doing a hell of alot better then what they where 50 years ago, or am i wrong on that score? That wouldnt have changed either if they didnt protest. I kinda feel like your picking at my post... Trying to poke holes in a solid argument..

In some instances protesting may be pointless. Is it pointless in the case of OWS? Personally I can't say other than time will tell.

It might not achieve its primary task, but it is at least bringing the people (the 99%) together, and thats a step in the right direction i believe. Perhaps the beginning of the end of the "social divide" though thats probably a long shot.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

%99? Ha, if %99 stood behind these protestors then they would be at the protest. So stupid, allot of people are brain washed and still believe in this system some are just scared and some dont care. If the army was called they would do their job, they would be brain washed into thinking these people are extremist terrorist, most solders just follow orders like drones.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

%99? Ha, if %99 stood behind these protestors then they would be at the protest. So stupid, allot of people are brain washed and still believe in this system some are just scared and some dont care. If the army was called they would do their job, they would be brain washed into thinking these people are extremist terrorist, most solders just follow orders like drones.

Guess its the 98%! However you put it, that's still a large majority.
Oh ye of little faith!!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An]

There maybe such a disparity i dont deny it, but think about how much worse it would be if women had never protested against it? Atleast we actually have a place in the workforce now and can work our way up the ladder. Im grateful for that.

Women of color and poor women more often then not had to work back in the day, they were already in the workforce so they didn't need to march out in the streets for permission to be in the workforce.

Black people seems to be doing a hell of alot better then what they where 50 years ago, or am i wrong on that score? That wouldnt have changed either if they didnt protest. I kinda feel like your picking at my post... Trying to poke holes in a solid argument..

I'm a black woman and I disagree. When blacks had their own economy they were better off, after the 1960s here in the US things for blacks went down hill because we integrated into the mainstream economy.
All I'm doing is disagreeing with your assumptions about who's first class citizens not picking at you nor am I making fun of your opinions.

It might not achieve its primary task, but it is at least bringing the people (the 99%) together, and thats a step in the right direction i believe. Perhaps the beginning of the end of the "social divide" though thats probably a long shot.

Ok lets say their objective was to bring 99% of the people together, my question is to what end? People protesting in the streets is not bringing an end to social divide, social ills are still there just on the backburner to later. I agree it probably is a long shot.

There's no focus in this protest. So what benefits are there for protesting if there's no agenda, a endgame so to speak? I'm incline to believe people waving signs and shouting slogans will not effect change with no focus, no agendas, and no solid plan on what they want to accomplish (there are so many things wrong with government, society, and the economy). Like I said time will tell how effective or pointless the OWS protest proves to be.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Women of color and poor women more often then not had to work back in the day, they were already in the workforce so they didn't need to march out in the streets for permission to be in the workforce.

No you are correct. Women have always been in the workforce, however, they had to march for equal pay. They might not have outright achieved it, but they aint far off where they aint being paid fairly. Thus, protesting was effective.

I'm a black woman and I disagree. When blacks had their own economy they were better off, after the 1960s here in the US things for blacks went down hill because we integrated into the mainstream economy.
All I'm doing is disagreeing with your assumptions about who's first class citizens not picking at you nor am I making fun of your opinions.

Im not black and i wasn't aware black people had their own economy, but i am referring back in the dark ages where blacks had to sit at the back of the bus, were not allowed in certain places, segregated from schools, beaten and abused publicly while seeing the white offenders of that crime walk free. They marched so that they to could enjoy the same rights as white people did they not? And did they not achieve that?

Ok lets say their objective was to bring 99% of the people together, my question is to what end? People protesting in the streets is not bringing an end to social divide, social ills are still there just on the backburner to later. I agree it probably is a long shot.

It wont bring an end to social divide overnight, but what else can be done? I feel its better for people to come together rather then stay separate and unorganized. The more people there are getting together to achieve a certain goal, the better the chances of succeeding?

There's no focus in this protest. So what benefits are there for protesting if there's no agenda, a endgame so to speak? I'm incline to believe people waving signs and shouting slogans will not effect change with no focus, no agendas, and no solid plan on what they want to accomplish (there are so many things wrong with government, society, and the economy). Like I said time will tell how effective or pointless the OWS protest proves to be.

I think the protesters are very clear on what they want.
edit on 3-10-2011 by SearchLightsInc because: Stupid quote box

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

No you are correct. Women have always been in the workforce, however, they had to march for equal pay. They might not have outright achieved it, but they aint far off where they aint being paid fairly. Thus, protesting was effective.

Im not black and i wasn't aware black people had their own economy, but i am referring back in the dark ages where blacks had to sit at the back of the bus, were not allowed in certain places, segregated from schools, beaten and abused publicly while seeing the white offenders of that crime walk free. They marched so that they to could enjoy the same rights as white people did they not? And did they not achieve that?

It wont bring an end to social divide overnight, but what else can be done? I feel its better for people to come together rather then stay separate and unorganized. The more people there are getting together to achieve a certain goal, the better the chances of succeeding?

I think the protesters are very clear on what they want.
edit on 3-10-2011 by SearchLightsInc because: Stupid quote box

The dark ages as you refer to those days of sitting in the back of the bus was in the 1950-1960s. Yes Blacks had their own economy all the way until the 1960s. Outside of work many Blacks seldom had to go outside of their community because everything they needed was supplied by Blacks for Blacks therefore their money stayed in the community . I just told you one of the side effects of the marching, it killed the self sustaining nature of the black community. There were other negative effects of the "marching" I won't go into at this time.

Unorganized coming together and being all over the place with issues is not moving any agenda to the next level. Agendas must be clear, problems and solutions must be decided upon before the protest which doesn't appear to be the case. So that's all you have a bunch of people gathered together with an assortment of grievances.If that was the initial plan to gather as many people as they could with gripes about the economy, the government, and the greedy bankers they succeeded. New York is making money hand over fist every time they fill their patty wagons with protesters, so of course the city love the protests.

top topics

join