It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Report: Fire at Magnablend Chemical Plant in Waxahachie, Texas Engulfed Fire Truck at Scene

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewguy1987

The fire chief said something about Naphta(?) being a huge threat in I think the tank cars. Don't quote me on the name, but I know it was very similar to that.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have a deep sinking feeling about this one too folks, were you guys frustrated at the chemicals flowing outward on the water being pumped in? Common sense showed me that the water was becoming the vehicle for the flames and the fire!

I was yelling at them to MOVE the truck as the fire began to dance on the out flowing water from the fire hose and out of the building towards the half million dollar firetruck...

AND that they are keeping the kids inside rather than making an emergency evacuation is so tragic.

Will check back for more info...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

Yea they said Naphta (sp).

Watching that press conference. Journalist just said "Why don't you give the public the information instead of just the fire department" That made me laugh a little bit.

But back to Naphta, the guy talking said it was like gasoline.

this EPA guy doens't seem to have a full grasp of what's going on. But he just confirmed that there are flammables on the tanker cars.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
If the sprinkler system was overwhelmed that quickly, it's obvious that it was not sufficient to provide the needed protection.

I'm not a firefighter and even I know not to fight petroleum fires with water. How much sense does it make to park a truck that close to the building?

And yes, fertilizer is very volatile:

The effects of the blast were equivalent to over 5,000 pounds (2,300 kg) of TNT,[57][68] and could be heard and felt up to 55 miles (89 km) away.[67] Seismometers at Science Museum Oklahoma in Oklahoma City, 4.3 miles (6.9 km) away, and in Norman, Oklahoma, 16.1 miles (25.9 km) away, recorded the blast as measuring approximately 3.0 on the Richter scale.[69]

Wiki on the Oklahoma City Bombing.

And

The blast leveled nearly 1,000 buildings on land. The Grandcamp explosion destroyed the Monsanto Chemical Company plant and resulted in ignition of refineries and chemical tanks on the waterfront. Falling bales of burning twine added to the damage while the Grandcamp's anchor was hurled across the city. Sightseeing airplanes flying nearby had their wings shorn off,[4] forcing them out of the sky. Ten miles away, people in Galveston were forced to their knees; windows were shattered in Houston, Texas, 40 miles (60 km) away. People felt the shock 100 miles away in Louisiana. The explosion blew almost 6,350 tons of the ship's steel into the air, some at supersonic speed

Wiki in the Texas City Disaster.

Thankfully it seems like this situation is coming under control, but it looks like one fire truck at least is oh of commission.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

They did move the kids from the elementary school to the high school gym (where parents are supposed to pick them up). I don't know how much farther away that was from the fire, but it must have been far enough that they felt it was safer.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
According to Wikipedia

Naphtha normally refers to a number of different flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons, i.e., a component of natural gas condensate or a distillation product from petroleum, coal tar or peat boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons. It is a broad term covering among the lightest and most volatile fractions of the liquid hydrocarbons in petroleum. Naphtha is a colorless to reddish-brown volatile aromatic liquid, very similar to gasoline.
In petroleum engineering, full range naphtha is defined as the fraction of hydrocarbons in petroleum boiling between 30 °C and 200 °C.[1] It consists of a complex mixture of hydrocarbon molecules generally having between 5 and 12 carbon atoms. It typically constitutes 15–30% of crude oil, by weight. Light naphtha is the fraction boiling between 30 °C and 90 °C and consists of molecules with 5–6 carbon atoms. Heavy naphtha boils between 90 °C and 200 °C and consists of molecules with 6–12 carbons.
Naphtha is used primarily as feedstock for producing high octane gasoline (via the catalytic reforming process). It is also used in the bitumen mining industry as a diluent, the petrochemical industry for producing olefins in steam crackers, and the chemical industry for solvent (cleaning) applications. Common products made with it include lighter fluid, fuel for camp stoves, and some cleaning solvents.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
80% contained

Will be out in another few hours.

One road re-opened.

www.nbcdfw.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
MSDS for Naphtha

Full MSDS information on Naphtha

I'm glad they got the kids out of the area it's not a great thing to have that level of exposure to. When I was a lab tech I did flash points on products containing this and they flash at a very low level.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thhorsemen
Most likely one of these . "Companies like Magnablend Inc usually offer: Diesel Oil Additives, Power Punch Oil Additive, Best Oil Additives, No Smoke Oil Additive and Restore Engine Oil Additive." www.manta.com...

In other words they sell junk that does nothing but liberate you from your money.

Snake oil isn't just packing the shelves of your local pharmacy. it's in Pep Boy's too.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It looks like a combination of bad "advice" (re the nature of the substances involved) and possibly the choice of the fire truck driver to park so close but my nature assumes the first point. Its helluva scary how the fire just seems to glide over the ground towards the truck and engulf it. If the FD had really known what was at hand, that truck and the men themselves would not be so close, I think.

I just hope all the guys got clear. IMHO fire men are one of the bravest mofo's walking round on this earth, ready to risk life and limb to help others. Armed with nothing but a hose they take it all in their stride. And when it "goes wrong", they just regroup and try again, with no tasers, no guns, no bullhorns. Respect!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

From what I've heard, there were no injuries. Once the fire started to move quickly everyone pretty much moved out of the area and settled on containing the fire and evacuating people nearby.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
anybody know if there was anything that burns hotter than jetfuel there?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
OMGawd!! George Bushism has infected ALL of Texas!!

(second line
)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I like how they're just spraying plain ol' water on what appears to be a class bravo fire. Where are the foam trucks, and why don't they have anything like a PKP retardant? And then they let the truck sit there while the water with burning liquid on top washes right back at them.
Even if they couldn't move the truck, somebody manning a hose should have kept pushing that back with the spray.

They should at least have some copies of the MSDS from local industries working with hazmat over at the fire department. Then when a location is called in, at least they'd have some modest clue as to what the heck they're dealing with.

(Nope never did any firefighting officially as a job, but with prior experience in the Navy you still learn some of those things by the nature of what's needed for survival at sea.)

It's still a mess and I don't mean to make light, but where's evidence of their training?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would guess they weren't informed as to the true nature of the fire or the chemicals involved. If they were, they obviously wouldn't have put a vehicle of their own at risk, a vehicle which contains a hulluva lotta water. If that blows it will probably just spread the fire even further. Fire and highly inflammable liquids generally do not mix well but you seem to know that. Anyway, fire men are not stupid. Brave, kind and even more brave...yes, but not reckless. The idea for them is to keep everyone safe, then get any possible victims out of danger. Always, and everytime. I have undiluted respect for these people.
edit on 3/10/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typos

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
E.P.A. Agent. Obviously thier TOP MAN, has no info other than there are flammable petroleum type chemicals involved. RRRREEEAALLLYYY!!??!! This is a little known video I have been trying to get noticed. Listen closely at the last 5 seconds a reporter says"Thanks for wasteing our time..."

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Omega Plane crashes on takeoff from naval base back in 2009. This is one of the proposed Chemtrail spray jets. I only was trying to show how the flames and ability for the "FUEL" to not be extinguished, is eerily similar to the Waxahachie fire. If anyone has knowledge of a link between Magnablend Chemicals and the Omega Cloudseeding Operations, I would love to hear from you.

edit on 9-10-2011 by THEjake because: Video wasn't working (Stupid capitol i or lower L)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

wasn't this the site of the super collider that never was? if so it has about $2 billion worth of underground construction.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by THEjake

The AMPI butter plant a few towns away from me burned a few years ago, butter burned the same way.

No backroom conspiracy there, oil fires are had to put out, water only spreads the oils which spreads the fire.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by w3thepatient

I do not know but would like to hear more about it. If so wouldn't that have made this a terror target rather than an accident?
edit on 4-3-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join