It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook is Destoring Lives, Firing Employee's that Criticize Company.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
once upon a time in IRC I learned that not one person on the internet actually cares about any other given person, period. companies didn't learn that, and try to get the law involved. most people who do not go by their real name online may or may not be in a different persona entirely than normal, some are extremely mislead, and some are just intentionally trying to annoy you.

if firing someone for complaining about overcooked hotdogs via the internet is right in your eyes, you better justify it to me before I find a ferry to one of those countries that doesn't use the internet at all, cause with human rights literally being thrown out of the window you are on my last thread of hope.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
The problem is that the average Joe who barely knows how to use Facebook, wouldn't instinctively know what many of us here are suggesting. Yeah, It might be simple for us, but not to them.

Facebook stops you at every page to suggest people you may know from work, they really don't make it that easy to change your privacy settings. They definitely don't tell you that everything you have ever written on Facebook in the past is now instantly visible to these newly suggested work buddies.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think that speaks volumes.
edit on 3-10-2011 by dyllels because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
why in god's name would you friend anyone that can potentially ruin your employment?

I would never friend my boss, or anyone that is in a position to take a job away from me. And even then, you should be prudent with the things that you put on there.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
why in god's name would you friend anyone that can potentially ruin your employment?

I would never friend my boss, or anyone that is in a position to take a job away from me. And even then, you should be prudent with the things that you put on there.

My GF has friend'ed people from her work all the time. she seems to think that work is a place for meeting friends, im to the conclusion that making friends at work is about the dumbest thing someone can do to themselves, but by not being super friendly at work has bitten my on my arse big time at my last job. LOL and it has bitten her in her arse once or twice as well for making friends at work.

LLLLOONNNGGGG SSIIGGGHHHH

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Having a Facebook account is a reason in itself to not employ a person.While such reasoning won't stand up in court, it appears that the idiotic crap that FB users put on their pages, will stand in court, against them.

As an occasional employer, I have no reservations about using it as a vetting tool.The difference with me is I won't even want to see your page. I'll give the work to the guy I know won't be FBing all day behind my back.

Employees with FB pages, are likely to blab confidential information about work on their page. Handy for your competition.

I would think most employers would be different to me in that they'd love if every potential employee HAD to have a FB account. It's a HR managers wet dream.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dyllels
The problem is that the average Joe who barely knows how to use Facebook, wouldn't instinctively know what many of us here are suggesting. Yeah, It might be simple for us, but not to them.

Facebook stops you at every page to suggest people you may know from work, they really don't make it that easy to change your privacy settings. They definitely don't tell you that everything you have ever written on Facebook in the past is now instantly visible to these newly suggested work buddies.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think that speaks volumes.
edit on 3-10-2011 by dyllels because: spelling

The average person can't figure out how to un-friend a person on Facebook.

Let alone adjust their security settings.

I have been belly laughing at some of these replies.

My wife hopes I meet someone on Facebook...

edit on 3-10-2011 by whyamIhere because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsinaname

I'd agree that the over-cooked hotdogs thing is pretty extreme.

It's one thing to divulge sensitive information (like earnings before they're released) or really slam them regularly, just as it's one thing to have 'a talk' with an employee, and firing them outright.

It's possible the employer wanted to get rid of these people anyway, and this was just a handy excuse.

At the same time, why would a level of intrusion be unacceptable if it's done by the government but okay if it's an employer or simply 'the private sector'? What if next it's not your employer but your insurer, and they are charging you not based on what you say or do but on some vague 'risk profile' that includes your friends' postings?

Privacy and free speech need to be protected if they are rights at all - and not just against the government. Authority of any sort needs to have clear boundaries if rights are something to be taken seriously.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
No offence OP, but it's not Facebook destroying lives.

It's the morons who post anti-employer comments on a social networking site that are destroying their own lives.

Once something is posted it can become a libel case, leading to your butt being dragged through some civil court and possibly leading to losing whatever you have worked hard for.

It's madness!!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I feel its perfectly within someone's human right to make public remarks about where they work.

Lets face it, some of us work for incompetent morons, why shouldn't we be allowed to have an opinion about it?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
I feel its perfectly within someone's human right to make public remarks about where they work.

Lets face it, some of us work for incompetent morons, why shouldn't we be allowed to have an opinion about it?

Well unless you have irrefutable evidence that said person is an absolute moron, then it's probably best to keep your opinion to yourself.

Or at the very least not share it publicly in type.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

You cant force someone to accept your opinion as fact, however, you can put your opinion "out-there" and let them make up their own mind. Its like having an opposing opinion to government policy and then having your citizenship revoked because your rebelling against the big boss.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

The difference being that we don't actually sign up to a contract with our citizenship, otherwise none of us would be on here would we?

If you bite the hand that feeds, inevitably you will get a smack.

Now, the Government do not feed me. I feed them with my taxes, but I earn my money and wouldn't be foolish enough to criticise my employer on Facebook. If I had a problem with their management abilities, I would question them directly, but I would do so constructively. To just call someone a moron on a social networking site doesn't give the person the opportunity to defend themselves and opens up a defamation of character case, simples.

edit on 3/10/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

The soon to be "Classic Story". Girl friends ex-boyfriend...You know the rest.

Yes, I do know the story. I know woman really well, we often talk and email each other. She found an old, high school boyfriend on Facebook, they talked for several months. She was going to a city real near where the guy lived. He called her, and asked if she wanted to go to dinner. She accepted, and everything was fine until the got back into the car. He suddenly attacked her, and raped her. Then he begged her not to call police, took her to a hotel, forced her to take a shower, and use a douche,
Which of course destroyed all of the evidence.

When she told me this story, I wanted to shoot him dead. Women, be careful of old "friends." They have surely changed over the years, and some have a streak of violence in them. Trust No One.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
did the employee give the company permission to snoop at it's private facebook page?

It wasn't private....

Facebook isn't public, it's only for friends...

If it wasnt public then how could others see it?

this isn't over...

People refuse to accept responsibility for what they do, typical.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

The difference being that we don't actually sign up to a contract with our citizenship, otherwise none of us would be on here would we?

If you bite the hand that feeds, inevitably you will get a smack.

Now, the Government do not feed me. I feed them with my taxes, but I earn my money and wouldn't be foolish enough to criticise my employer on Facebook. If I had a problem with their management abilities, I would question them directly, but I would do so constructively. To just call someone a moron on a social networking site doesn't give the person the opportunity to defend themselves and opens up a defamation of character case, simples.

edit on 3/10/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

"Venting" as we call it in the UK, implies you openly talking or posting your troubles and thoughts without the need of the opposition being able to "defend" themselves. Talking sh!t about people you work with is as natural as taking a sh!t. Bottling things up isnt good for you!
edit on 3-10-2011 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
It's best to watch what you say online and to people at work. People have been known to tell a blabber mouth about having several guns in their and all illegal. The mouth then calls security who in turn calls the police who arrest you before opening your vehicle to find nothing then going to your house and finding more nothing. Blabber gets canned for causing trouble and all the workers are happy. Local story we still laugh about

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
With facebook companies will even go to your friends FB pages to see if you have made a post there.

I have seen where a person posted about smoking MJ on a friends FB page then complaining about getting fire when he failed a drug test a few days later at work.
His boss knew just when to hold the drug test from his FB posting.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join