It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Fined For Killing Grizzly Bear To Protect His Family

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I don't know what happened to common sense in this country but this one just puzzles me no end.

So an Idaho man hears his wife scream because three, that's three, grizzly bears are approaching his home. He doesn't know where his kids are so he takes what appears to be the only common sense thing to do. He grabs his hunting rifle and shoots one of the bears killing it.

Sound reasonable? Well not to the authorities.

The man was charged for killing an endangered species with a possible fine of $50,000 and a year in jail.

Now this brought a lot of anger among the townspeople and the criminal charges were tossed and the man was required to pay a $1000 fine as well as approximately $20,000 in legal fees.

Now I'm the first to say I love animals. But if I were in this guys shoes it would have been "Hasta la vista Yogi!"

Yes we now have rules and regulations about how to defend you and your family against a highly dangerous animal.

Seriously! Listen to what the government spokeswoman had to say (transcribed from the above video):

"He paid the fine because he took a bear in violation of the Endangered Species Act. Even if a bear is being a nuisance there are procedures outlined for doing that. He didn’t follow those procedures."

A nuisance? I guess he didn't get the memo on how to go step-by-step to save your family in a dangerous situation.

Crazy!

edit on 3-10-2011 by Hessling because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
this type of situations are straight forward (well to anyone with common sense) and the fact that those pushing the charges/fines are assuming he had a choice and entered the situation willingly is what is ridiculous, when your life is in danger or anyone's life is in danger, there is no choice

common sense and some wildlife knowledge should eliminated all gray area for the justified killing, i.e. how close where the bears to the house, was there cubs present, was the bear searching for food/hungry, etc.

if he was out looking for his kids in the woods and came across said bears and just shot them that would be different but it sounds like the bears were close to the house

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

He's lucky he didnt go to prison...
The grizzly bear is listed as threatened in the lower 48 states...
Killing a Griz is akin to shooting a golden eagle... bad things happen to those who do...
at last count there are only 105 in Selkirk region of Idaho
Idaho is one of six recovery areas where the fish and game service are trying to bring back the big Bears...

I was always taught if you have to shoot one you better have tooth and claw marks on your person...
and no there is no nuance animal permits for a griz... if one is causing problems your told to call game and fish... they will come out and trap it and relocate it...

Edit to add... Wiki says they were taken off the Endangered list back in 2009... but they are still listed as Threatened
edit on 3-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
you do what you need to do

and in that moment he needed to protect his family from danger

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
should have just kept his mouth shut and burned it

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
If you look a little deeper into the story, it turns out the idiot shot the bear from the safety of his front porch, even after being told by his wife that the kids were safe.. I would like to have seen him fined 50k and thrown in jail for a year as an example to similar braindead morons that they can't get away with this kind of crap anymore.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2011 by Atzil321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

When Grizzlies approach you, they dont just wander away...they want to eat you.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
the reason many of these animals are endangered in the first place is because a very large part of this country US was built on the fur trade, this is the results

while I absolutely agree that endangered species should be protected there is a certain kinda of irony that the government is so gun-ho on fining this guy ....different age different time I guess

edit: I guess the key to this is if he fired a shot before he knew his kids were OK, a warning shot and telling the kids what a warning shot means would have greatly helped this guys story
edit on 3-10-2011 by all answers exist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
There was a similar event that happened in the state of louisiana last year. A hunter mistaked a black bear for a wild hog, which can be legally hunted year around. It was eating near a feeder and the hunter dropped it. When he saw it was a bear he called la wildlife and fish to report. He was fined thousands of dollars, lost hunting privlages for life, I think. Lost his gun, money that was on him, and truck. Was changed with a felony. Every charge he could possibly recieve he got it. I don't know what he eventully got convicted of, but he went though hell for being honest. Black bears are pretty close to same size as hogs and damn had to tell apart from a distance. So the moral of the story is if you accidently mistake one for a hog ask for forgiveness from god and leave it laying there for the buzzards. You just can't do what's right anymore and expect to be forgiven. By the way a la dept wlf agent was killed by a possible poacher this weekend. May god be with his family, co workers, and fellow friends.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bodcausailor

Your tale is a cautionary one...If you don't know what is...Best not to shoot it

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Were the bears attacking? Or merely crossing the property? Who said he is innocent?

Ranchers shoot wolves all the time claiming they are killing cattle, when really they just want to shoot a wolf.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
For this reason is why guns were allowed in National park so that you can defend and protect your family.

If I were dude, lawsuit time. "So you're telling me I should've let the bear maul, attack and kill my family?"!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Agreed, but they can go out and aerial kill millions of other less fortunate wildlife animals... They too become extinct like the bear has become with these devious practices.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

No...
I'm telling you the way the laws of this land are written...
you'll go to jail faster for killing a Griz then you would for killing a man...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I think the man is an idiot.

What does he think, "oh my gosh, three grizzlies are coming towards my home to kill us all! They are going to smash through my (really hard) walls and they are going for my throat as soon as they break through! Better take my gun and kill them all."

He should get thrown in jail for stupidity.
edit on 3-10-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

I'm pretty sure that if my family were in real danger of a grizzly bear attack, I wouldn't care if it was the last one on earth.

With that said, I would only shoot it if my family were indeed in danger of it attacking them and not just shoot it dead just because it was there wandering around.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

i don't think you know much about grizzlies...they aren't like black bears. they'll go after humans without provocation, and three would be difficult to kill if they started charging.

it's a pity one had to be killed, but i'd rather hear about a bear being shot than a family of five being snacks.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
These bears shouldn't even exist. They should already be extinct - they are real-life monsters.

This man did the right thing. But he should have kept his mouth shut and burned it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Meekbot2000

Heck ya! Why did the authorities fond out about it in the first place? I suppose their all tagged and micro-chipped anyway tho. Probably would have found out regardless, right?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
I think the man is an idiot.

What does he think, "oh my gosh, three grizzlies are coming towards my home to kill us all! They are going to smash through my (really hard) walls and they are going for my throat as soon as they break through! Better take my gun and kill them all."

He should get thrown in jail for stupidity.
edit on 3-10-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

Did you just suggest that a grizzly bear cannot break through a wall?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join