It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Whole "Occupy Wallstreet" thing seems like theater of the absurd.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

you quoting and linking opinion pieces from a propaganda mag is hardly evidence of anything.
you want "evidence" ... look here: jobs

now, i don't know for sure if that link works so if not, go here: www.careerbuilder.com ... use 34239 (a zip i am familiar with), click search ... the link posted above is the "posted last 7 day" listing for that area and surrounding 30 miles. the link above shows 17 pages of options ... sure some are business opportunities (investment reqd), some are tech specific, some are artisan specific, some are industry specific ... point is, there are 17 pages of options.

need more evidence or are you gonna keep playing "follow the leader"?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

That article was copy and pasted from Associated Press

It got its data from the US Census

I even made a post addressing that after the other old fart tried to say the same thing.

LoL

You think I haven't applied to over 1000 jobs online?
Its pointless you have to go to job fairs so they can see your face after you apply.

Except they wont hire you because you don't have several years of "real world" experience.

I am NOT blaming them for not hiring me if they don't think I will make them money.

I am saying you are full of S for thinking it is just because they are lazy or some other crap like that.

Is the picture getting less blurry for you?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
To the OP,
This thread reeks ignorance. Its clearly obvious why the masses are protesting. The system is broken, wall sreet rips off the people by sending lobbyists into the government to make sure they come 1st. The US is owned by wall street and the 1% croonies.

What we are seeing is a massive awakening and it is great that this is happening. Now excuse me as i gather up some friends to go stand in front of the federal reserve building.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
reply to post by Honor93

Well, I am glad we can agree on something.

Also - for the reccord - I felt like I was being attacked. Now we both do. Perhaps there was an alternative route this conversation could have taken where we acheived the same result, but without the insults? You know, without calling anyone a blind folower destined for the cliff for example? Without my responding to that with a further insult?

Food for thought.

in a debate, both sides feel attacked ... that is what a debate is about ... attacking the pros & cons of an issue.

now that we also agree that the courtesy displayed is occasionally less than endearing ... we ok to continue?
in this situation (around the world) thin skin won't get you far. if you blister easy, take it slow.

thanks for your concern, but i don't succumb to feelings in a debate about facts.
whimps debate feelings ... adults debate facts.

at the risk of sounding like i'm preaching ... i am not responsible for your feelings, you are.
you can control your reaction to whatever action i take (good or bad) ... your feelings are your own to control, manage, set-aside, allow to overwhelm you but never belong in a debate about facts.

please don't misunderstand, i do not set-out to cause anyone any pain but sometimes, the truth hurts.
i do care about the feelings of others, i just cannot, do not and will not be responsible for them. k?

perhaps a better choice of words would be appropriate.
however, if i concern myself with such nonsense, the point of the conversation is often lost in the shuffle.
right or wrong, my analogy clearly got your attention so it served its purpose.
and i stand firm in that ... however, if you prefer, i could say without reservation ... they are being haphazardly led down a path of misery or maybe ... it's like watching the blind lead the deaf or perhaps something more tender ... like babes on a mission to locate their pacifier ... they're all the same to me.

i am not sure where you stand regarding OWS but i've made it perfectly clear i stand against.
with the latest updates, i now have -0- doubts and am prepared to retreat from the impending mayhem.

most of us have worked too hard and too long to participate in such a melee that will fail to be productive in any way, shape or form.

thank you for the response.
honest, no offense intended to anyone (well maybe MG) but this is a touchy subject for all of us

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

I know what you are saying and was just being pedantic, but I think you got that really backwards , it should be the government is an appendage to the fed.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini

Originally posted by Cinaed

Try getting you "facts" from other sources for a change and see what you have yet to learn!!!

Like the US CENSUS?

What is wrong with the census as a source?

edit on 6-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

Or are you referring to the first website that copy and pasted the story from AP?

You can't offer anything can you?

please explain what the census has to offer concerning the availability of employment in this country?

also, when you have a fresh outlook (or a different argument), please share but until then could you at least keep your snide, rude, arrogant and extremely belligerent comments off the forum?... we deserve better

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

OK. I can see where you are coming from now. Understood.

Thanks for your previous reply. I must say I do not agree with you. I think these people all know exactly why they are there, and there a a dozen diferent reasons. This multitude of reasons and this mix of people may come accross as unfocused, as non-cohesive, but underneath those multiple agendas lies a single fact. They all want change. Exactly how that change manifests, and the landscape after it are too hard to predict. Just because I can't paint that picture for you in advance does not mean I am badly organised, or without an agenda.

Do you realy think the prtestors in Egypt ot Tunisia had a clear picture of "After the revolution" when thay first stood together. No, of course not - they were united in their desire for change, and they stood together to get it. May the good people of OWS have the fortitude to do likewise.

Empathy is part of the human condition. This is why I am so engaged with feelings, as much as fact. It is that which makes us human. I can empathise with each and every protestor. That means being concerned with their feelings. This makes me a better person, I beleive.
edit on 6-10-2011 by Shamatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think I can safely say the 'Theater of the Absurd' is: The House & Senate.

I need a Pooh Bear 'Oh Bother' emoticon.

M.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

The Census was for housing data.

You can go to any number of job sites to find employment stats as they are collected.

I doubt you even read the article, you likely just looked at the web address and moved on.

The data is strongly against your claims that only the lazy are unemployed, please use verifiable evidence to back up your opinion.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

That article was copy and pasted from Associated Press

It got its data from the US Census

I even made a post addressing that after the other old fart tried to say the same thing.

LoL

You think I haven't applied to over 1000 jobs online?
Its pointless you have to go to job fairs so they can see your face after you apply.

Except they wont hire you because you don't have several years of "real world" experience.

I am NOT blaming them for not hiring me if they don't think I will make them money.

I am saying you are full of S for thinking it is just because they are lazy or some other crap like that.

Is the picture getting less blurry for you?

you think only applying for jobs online is the answer?
no wonder you aren't getting far.

AP / Huff *cough* / MSM (all of them) are leading anyone foolish enough to listen astray.
is that you?

the Census was used to "predict" likely scenarios ... hah, you fell for it

like i mentioned earlier, you really should work on your comprehension skills ... it may be what's "holding you back" ... It is not always someONE unless you look in the mirror, first.

i gave you a link with a solid source, did you even bother to look?
put your local and surrounding info in the search engine and see what pops up ... opportunities are added daily.

our view hasn't been askew, what makes you think it is?
we live in the real world (ya know, after school) ... we have changed this world for more days than you have taken a breath and we will continue pushing the facts, enforcing the Constitution and tell tales of our own suffering and struggles in the hopes you'll find your own way out of that box.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Generalizing based on geographic location shows your immaturity. I have structured my life to make as little of an impact on the environment as possible. I have been doing this for years. Why is this relevant? It's relevant because it means that I don't have the expenses that a lot of other people have. I saw how the large companies were destroying the earth a long time ago and I chose to change how I conducted my life accordingly. You miss the point completely. I don't need a huge income to be happy or live a productive, fulfilling life. You know what we do for fun, my daughter and I? We build homes for people across the border that are currently living out of boxes. We volunteer for an organization that builds wells in Africa so that people can have fresh water. We are actually doing something about all of those things you are protesting about. I have been involved in this so called movement for far longer than a few days. I just have chosen to actually do something about it as opposed to stand around holding up signs.

Perhaps tomorrow you too will decide to get up and actually doing something productive to help your 'cause'.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

Thank you for your indication and i can agree to disagree

*** doesn't mean i'll quit harping tho ... i am woman after all

if you haven't read my previous posts, please do.
you say

They all want change
and i say i do too, i am a 99%er.

Exactly how that change manifests, ~ matters ... and the landscape after it are too hard to predict.
baloney, the Continental Congress debated for months before they emerged from negotiations WITH a unified plan, a vision of the landscape and a plan to achieve it. This does not resemble that in the least.

Just because I can't paint that picture for you in advance does not mean I am badly organised, )
yes, that is exactly what that means.

or without an agenda.
;
never said you were without one of those agenda thingys ... that is the problem.

We are familiar with your leaders, we already know their agenda. It may not be yours (never said it was) but what makes you think "the leaders" are about to change their agenda???
They have been waiting and working for this moment forever ... at least 98yrs now.

i choose not to be a pawn in their game. tis a shame that so many do.

ever wonder why the politicians "don't get it" ??
it's not just the free-wheeling ability they have to "wield the power of the Fed" but they are spoon-fed some of the best propaganda yet ... read this over (yea it's old , but it applies) ... congressional report
they are groomed from day1 to believe the illusion is necessary.
they are never encouraged to think outside that box ... ever.
some of them don't even realize they have the power to change it with a single vote.

Egypt and Tunisia?? unfair question cause i think they were duped and those leading the way Did have a clear picture of "tomorrow" (just like Ayers+ now) ... it is the rest of the people who are disillusioned by the result and are suffering today.

don't get me wrong, they have gained some freedom from their efforts for now, But, they were far more oppressed than America is. i don't think anyone would dispute that.
you cannot equate the dictatorships toppled to anything in America ... different circumstances entirely.

i can't think of any one of those countries that are stable, unified about their leadership, improving their standard of living or even cooperating amongst themselves ... not one, can you?
do you think the govt shut-down in Greece is helping anything or anyone?
if so, how??

empathy can be good and for some it is overwhelming ... i agree ppl who are empathetic are generally more understanding as a whole. however, a debate is no place for feelings. (which empathy is)

in this discussion, i too empathize with many of the protestors (not all) however, that is not a good enough reason to trudge forward with no end in sight, especially here in America ... again, we are not a dictatorship and good on them for realizing there is better and doing something about it
on the other hand of that current situation ... if the final result is another dictatorship, what have they accomplished??
do we really want to follow such a lead ??

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marzabeth

Generalizing based on geographic location shows your immaturity. I have structured my life to make as little of an impact on the environment as possible. I have been doing this for years. Why is this relevant? It's relevant because it means that I don't have the expenses that a lot of other people have. I saw how the large companies were destroying the earth a long time ago and I chose to change how I conducted my life accordingly. You miss the point completely. I don't need a huge income to be happy or live a productive, fulfilling life. You know what we do for fun, my daughter and I? We build homes for people across the border that are currently living out of boxes. We volunteer for an organization that builds wells in Africa so that people can have fresh water. We are actually doing something about all of those things you are protesting about. I have been involved in this so called movement for far longer than a few days. I just have chosen to actually do something about it as opposed to stand around holding up signs.

Perhaps tomorrow you too will decide to get up and actually doing something productive to help your 'cause'.

Glad to hear it took you years to get where you are after graduating from college.

I am almost 5 months out, two entirely different situations.

LoL

And then you go on to talk about how you have less expenses and are better off thanks to it. Except that is completely irrelevant to anyone's employment and thus pointless.

I have been doing this for years

it means that I don't have the expenses that a lot of other people have

You miss the point completely.

No YOU miss the point entirely . . . I was striking back at the people on this thread who are saying that only the lazy are unemployed.

You need better reading comprehension.

I just have chosen to actually do something about it as opposed to stand around holding up signs.

Me to, its called looking for a job.

Get over yourself, you all come across as amazingly arrogant and insidiously ignorant.

Perhaps tomorrow you do something to finally get a clue?

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Actually I have not called her lazy, I have not read every single post on this thread but so far I have not seen anyone talking to her like we are talking to you. I did not start out talking to you in the manner I am now because I was trying to help you SEE something.

I do not consider HER lazy. I asked her a question and she sincerely answered it. She has struggled like many other people and yet, not only is she not embittered and filled with self pity like you are, she is still here offering input and actually trying to HELP others. I might not agree with her on all the details of things but I admire her drive and her compassion for others. These are qualities!

If I were hiring for a position and the two of you showed up I would still hire her, even if you had twice the study under your belt and a far better degree.... And, something you haven't seemed to grasp yet, and possibly part of the reason you are still unemployed is ---as another poster mentioned earlier

The people you keep saying are out of touch, *old timers* and whatever assorted other names you have called people. THESE are the people that do the hiring for businesses. Older people than me would say something like "not too bright to continually bite the hand that feeds you son"

The attitude you have does explain to most of us why you are so gung ho about this communistic movement going on. Personally I am only on this thread hoping that conversations like this one with the likes of YOU help to open the eyes of some young people that are behind the protest due to their passion to make the world a better place for ALL. Otherwise I would have left this thread a long time ago. I am USING you, how bout that JR? Does it make you MAD that I am helping you show your peers where this road leads and what the REAL priority is for the ones funding the protest??

I hope the ones still reading that see what others are trying to tell you-- will realize they need to look into the backers of this movement.... We NEED a passionate youth to RESTORE the Constitution, not destroy it like your ilk want to so they can live off the labors of others.

FEW people that have your mind set EVER get to be a boss.... And until your attitude changes you will never be first pick for hire...I dont give a rip what your piece of paper says you know.....just a lil FYI from someone that passes over ppl like you every time when doing a new hire. And I still have 15 yrs before I can retire, 25 if they change social security....LOLOLOLOL doesn't that just piss you off?

Read, learn, change your attitude and you might find a job, even if it is beneath you

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinaed

Great another one who fails completely at reading comprehension.

I never said I support all the things that the OWS protestors do . . .

I made it quite clear that they are NOT unemployed because they are lazy and there real factual data and evidence to back it up. What pity party are you talking about? Alzheimers kickin in?

You come back talking about how things where three decades ago before people had pc's as if the two job markets are the same . . . . . .

LoL you are "using" me? Okay does that make you a 'stranger danger' (pedo) or what?

Again, please read carefully and double check before you respond. You look like a complete moron calling me a communist when all I ever argued about was unemployment numbers and jobs figures.

Yes I hope people are still reading this far also to fully recognize how out of touch you really are.

edit on 7-10-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

When did I say you were a communist? I said you like the communist agenda....huge diff

Implying I'm a pedophile is rich though LOLOLOL

You keep saying we are all saying everyone unemployed is lazy. Well maybe YOU are the one that should r-e-a-d... People have been quite clear about the things they see wrong with this movement but MANY have given kudos for the reason SOME of the youth are behind it

Far as I know YOU are the one anybody has called lazy directly.

Saying lots of the unemployed are totally indoctrinated into the communist agenda is true. This happens when Big Daddy government is the one looked to for getting needs met.

Like Thomas Jefferson I think it was said, any government big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have....

Okay so you want a world where *people like you can get a job* All I can say is I DEARLY HOPE most of the unemployed are not people like you.

I think everyone has compassion for the struggles in this economy. Other generations have had to rise to this occasion and I swear, they would REALLY be fed up with all your whining!

Read up about The Great Depression or..the Carter Administration and see, you are NOT the only person with problems that struggles in life...GET USE to it!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Honor93

The Census was for housing data.

You can go to any number of job sites to find employment stats as they are collected.

I doubt you even read the article, you likely just looked at the web address and moved on.

The data is strongly against your claims that only the lazy are unemployed, please use verifiable evidence to back up your opinion.

but i thought we were discussing reality, not stats ??

stats are manipulated for whatever outlook you want to present ... do you really put any faith in stats ???

if you mean the Huff article, yes i read it ... its an opinion piece showered with select stats to emphasize the point the writer wishes to convey (true or false, really doesn't matter). The whole point of the piece is to stir the "emotion" of the situation ... to he!! with the facts.

if you missed it ... try these statements ... from the 1st sentence ...

Megan Muller can more than relate to the sense of defeat that now hangs over the class of 2011.

keywords intended to provoke your feelings ...
relate - empathy
sense of defeat - more feelings
hangs over the class - broad generality
THIS is psycho-warfare ... recognize it, see it and look beyond.

here's another ... see if you see the keywords ... same article

Using data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Sum reports that as many as 50 percent of college graduates under the age of 25 are underutilized, meaning they’re either working no job at all, working a part-time job or working a job outside of the college labor market

there are a few facts interspersed but ... compare the two ... then and now, not the feelings about how much it sucks, we understand, really.

here's a link i cannot open or i'd post the info (computer issues atm) ... look during the period from 1972-1980 ... i believe you'll find similar or exceeding percentages of same opportunities to those fresh grads. (i've seen the numbers before but i cannot open it currently) - besides, i lived it
pdf

in the above Huff example ... break it down
50% of grads under 25 (is that you?) ... how many total grads is that? ... they provide no foundational numbers ... why not?

you don't know if that's 50% of 100,000 or a million.
next ... they throw everything in at once but most ppl only see the 1st and miss the rest (why?? cause the 1st is what sinks in) ... pay attention now ... that same 50% of something unknown are EITHER working a job outside their labor market, working part-time or are underutilized (unemployed).

now all i did there was change the sequence ... not the words, they're all the same but it just doesn't sound as bad, does it??

then there's this of course, also from the MSM ...

NYtimes
74.4 percent of college graduates under age 25 had jobs. Of this same demographic group, 45.9 percent had jobs that actually required a college degree. The rest of this group were in lower-skilled jobs like bar tending or waiting on tables; pounding the pavement looking for work; or out of the labor force altogether, perhaps because they were back in school.

first, i would hope for some foundational numbers for any of the stats or charts in this story but let's take it at face value ... the above excerpt is from the period Oct 2010 thru March 2011 ... this next comparison is with the numbers on the chart in the story --> since the story does not provide base numbers and most ppl won't look them up, you must look beyond the sensationalism.

81% of 10,000 is still less than 74% of 20,000 ... it DOES make a difference.
and that is with

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Oh I hope plenty of your peers have read the whole thread, because it's plain as day why I am talking to you like this. There are pages and pages now and most of what you have done is name off all the things you CANT do..... Many offered suggestions and without even trying one on for size you call names and list reasons why it wont work and cant be done....keep it up

Maybe the reason YOU are unemployed is there is a very very VERY long list of things you can't or wont do, who wants an employee like that?

I figure though that lots of young people reading this got some good ideas they have already put into practice. I hope they get a job for their EFFORT!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Dude huff copy and pasted from AP

Here is another copy at CBS

Young becoming "lost generation" amid recession
www.cbsnews.com...

(AP) WASHINGTON

I never argued any emotions . . . pure data.

You are the one arguing about emotional words in the article.

Anything else you want to make up?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cinaed

Oh I hope plenty of your peers have read the whole thread, because it's plain as day why I am talking to you like this. There are pages and pages now and most of what you have done is name off all the things you CANT do..... Many offered suggestions and without even trying one on for size you call names and list reasons why it wont work and cant be done....keep it up

Maybe the reason YOU are unemployed is there is a very very VERY long list of things you can't or wont do, who wants an employee like that?

I figure though that lots of young people reading this got some good ideas they have already put into practice. I hope they get a job for their EFFORT!

ARE YOU #ING RETARDED?

I never was crying about myself being unemployed.

I came in here pointing out those that were calling the unemployed lazy are full of # and base their opinion on their own personal situation instead of actual aggregated data.

Do you not get this?

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join