It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama tells Africa to stop blaming colonialism for its problems.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
"President Barack Obama has told African leaders it is time to stop blaming colonialism and "Western oppression" for the continent's manifold problems".

Obama is touching on an issue that I think runs deep in the world even today. There is some truth to what he says for sure, but also some insensitivity. After all, the effects that colonialism had on the African continent run deep, even today. At the same time, when will African nations shed the skins of their colonial pasts and work towards a better future?

Is Barack Obama in a position to make this type of commentary? Is he right or wrong? A little bit of both perhaps (that is what I think)?

What does ATS think about this?

Here is the link to the article:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Wish he would tell that to a certain group of Americans . . .

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
This picture was not taken during colonial era. It was taken only recently. Even after years of international aid, espacially american taxpayers' aids to African nations, why is this still happening???

The answer is yet again greed. Greed by the supposedly african 'leaders' whom are only despots. They sold out the nation for wealth to cling on to power, to promote cronies while leaving our fellow human african brothers and sisters stupid and starved.

Pictures tell a thousand words. May the african despots grow conscience and change their ways. They are a far worse blight than colonial powers had ever been. Either they grow it or they will be forced to change, when african spring arrives, as more of the overseas educated africans return home...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15f7a21bfb28.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 3-10-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Stop blaming "Western Oppression"?

How can they, when the Banking Cartels have locked them into a cycle of Debt that can never be repaid? When their leaders are aloud to treat them anyway they want and the Western powers, like NATO etc, do nothing to intervene?

Which is what we would be doing, if we really were living in a free and just world, where Democracy, and not the "Blue Bloods", ruled?

Interesting comment from Obama, regarding "Colonialism", seeing as his roots are Kenyan.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
From the comments I gather that by Obama saying that Africa needs to "get over" colonialism, he is in fact being condescending, considering he is involved in the scheme that limits Africa's ability to advance in most aspects of civilization.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Wow, Obama got something right for a change.

Africa was much better off under colonialism, as was the Caribbean. This is undeniable, even many African leaders have acknowledged that independence came far too soon. Nearly 50 years after independence 61% of Jamaicans say they would have been better off had they remained a British colony.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
If I could, I would give Obama the "Captain Obvious Award." It is no fairy tale that Africa has been colonized into cultural obscurity, but going backwards in time, to redo what was already done is not going to happen.

However, Obama has been accused of being an "Afro-centric." He has been accused, rightly or wrongly, of apologizing for the America and European colonization agenda. He has to fend off ignorant slurs against his charactor like this one from Mike Huchabee:

Speaking on WOR's The Steve Malzberg Show, Huckabee -- a Fox News host and potential presidential candidate -- said that "one thing that I do know is his having grown up in Kenya, his view of the Brits, for example, very different than the average American ... his perspective as growing up in Kenya with a Kenyan father and grandfather, their view of the Mau Mau Revolution in Kenya is very different than ours because he probably grew up hearing that the British are a bunch of imperialists who persecuted his grandfather."

And, this one from Newt Gingrich:

Gingrich says that D'Souza has made a "stunning insight" into Obama's behavior -- the "most profound insight I have read in the last six years about Barack Obama."

"What if [Obama] is so outside our comprehension, that only if you understand Kenyan, anti-colonial behavior, can you begin to piece together [his actions]?" Gingrich asks. "That is the most accurate, predictive model for his behavior."

It may be an insensitive remark, but it's true. So are a lot of other "insensitive" remarks he's made, like people who hold onto their "guns and Bibles." I don't think the OP's quoted remark is going to change the election process one way or another. It's just Obama trying to show that he's not afro-centric, but willing to work with TPTB, after all, he's one of them.
edit on 3-10-2011 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
In a land controlled by warlords and faction warfare, any aid is taken by the controllers of each area and hoarded from the common people. This includes Medicine, grain, water, weapons , money. Why does it still happen because the UN only deals with the aid until it is dropped on the doorstep.... then the "leaders" of each nation "distribute " the product at their leisure... So yeah never!!! or to the highest bidder. Western Oppression has nothing to do with it. Yeah it sucks, however not a problem we can solve unless you know... we occupy ANOTHER country... we can not afford to be the world police anymore... "Take care of your own backyard first" I believe is the saying....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

What you say definately makes sense. My question for you though- is Obama right or wrong? I am under the impression that although colonialism in Africa "ended" almost 50 years ago, the effects linger. Is it naive to just say "get over it"? That would seem like something TPTB would say.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

The United States became independent almost 230 years ago and we still have many legacies of British rule. It's something we should all embrace, it's a part of who we are and what we evolved from.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Wow, Obama got something right for a change.

Africa was much better off under colonialism, as was the Caribbean. This is undeniable, even many African leaders have acknowledged that independence came far too soon. Nearly 50 years after independence 61% of Jamaicans say they would have been better off had they remained a British colony.

A lot of "The Empire" would have been better off, even though it's still really under the British Crown's control, through the Commonwealth. For example, look at India. The El-ites/Globalists/Banking Cartels, whatever you wanna call them, invaded and conquered their lands, yes, but it was better off than it would have been. Even though the slave trade was set up in these sort of nations, every nation was doing it. Also, let's not forget that the rightful citizens of these lands sold their fellow countrymen to the Invaders, such as the Brits/French etc, but if it wasn't them it would have been someone else.
When India broke in two, by the formation of Pakistan, over 2 Million? people died, due, in part, to Religious differences that were their already, but were kept under control by British governing, or at least that's how I remember it from History lesson.

P.S

They did things like this, of course, in the name of Britain, and my people(The French, among others, as well), there by, dragging our name through the mud for centuries.
This is why an educated person shouldn't let Him/Herself fall into their Nationalistic trap, by hating people who come from countries with an "Imperial" past. Let's be honest, everyone was doing it, for starters. And, our governments don't have control over this sort of Foreign Policy, or anything of any real significance, for that matter. Plus, they didn't speak for the people of THAT time, so how can they speak for the people of the present?

Most of our entire world is governed by the hidden hand of the "Think Tanks", the Central Bankers, the Ruling families and the "Blue Blooded", "Anglo-Israelism Bloodline", dating back through Rome, Egypt and to Canaan etc.

lol RANT OVER!

edit on 3-10-2011 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I find it interesting that the "Telegraph' would come out with this NOW, over 2 years after Obama said it... What are they doing? Searching everything he's ever said to find "insensitive" statements? Just thought that was curious.

12:28AM BST 09 Jul 2009

Frankly, I think everyone should stop blaming everyone else for their own problems, so I guess I agree with him on this.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Most of Africa is part of the Islamic Empire. If one looks at a map, the level of misery suffered by Africans is directly related to the level of Islam to which they have been subjected. The more Islam, the more suffering.

Libya, Islamic, Suffering
Egypt, Islamic, Suffering
Morocco, Islamic, Suffering
Western Sahara, Islamic, Suffering
Somalia, Islamic, Suffering
Tunisia, Islamic, Suffering

All over the African continent, through both space and time, as Islam has ascended, so has the suffering.

Islam is spread through the process of Jihad. Africa has suffered greatly at the hands of Islamic Jihad for centuries. If the Africans wish to blame anyone or anything for their suffering let them direct their anger towards Mecca.

Stop the Jihad in Africa.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

That is an interesting theory. I saw an article that postulated that slavery in Africa, particularly along the Gold Coast, was introducted by Islam. Apparently, Islam forbids Muslims from enslaving other Muslims, but it is ok to enslave non-muslims. As a result, when various tribes in that region converted to Islam, they then captured and enslaved those Africans who were not Muslim.

I would imagine however that this theory is scrutinized for its anti-muslim connotations.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This I find a little hard to believe, and would really like someone to do a more thorough search on this forbes magazine article:

www.forbes.com...
How Obama Thinks,

As it really examines his very bizarre by even his supporters views on how things should be done, and how he is doing this only in a way to harm US, including turning NASA into a public relations agency with the middle east.

Why he would donate billions from US to Brazillian offshore oil, without expecting the oil to benefit the US.

Why he would forbid the banks to pay back what they borrowed without approval.

And what he wrote in his autobiography that more or less gave it all away.

In this article it describes, not the American dream guiding him, but his father's dream.

His father was a anticolonialist. Who even theoreotically said that one could take 100% wages if the state provided service back.

In other words, the country would become the Slave plantation itself. Absolute slavery.

Oddly enough the principals of the corporate elite ripping off third world and exploiting everyone, is something that those with eyes to see, really are opposed at.

We want an equal world.

However, this cannot be done by Fascism, Slavery, or taking away human rights and dignity.

It is done by education and equalizing, good programs. Ie. not big military spending, but good health care, so you have a top world system like Norway, with no payments, medical and dental, free advanced education, and everyone gets a guaranteed income, some less, 50 a month like a tax return, some above poverty level wage, if they're elderly, handicapped or out of work.

You also do this by ensuring taxation is a little stiffer on the top end but not extreme. And that corporate taxation holes are plugged, in addition corporate escape routes to rip off the slave labor of third world, would be ended. Corporations expected to be citizens and mostly employing citizens at fair wages, with benefits.

That even further, since most jobs are created locally in small businesses, the surplus you would end up with, and you would. Canada has way better programs but we don't run this deficit that the US does. And yet we don't go far enough, we're still too conservative for me.

so you'd take the extras, even create state lotteries for funds, and start up small buisness grants and programs for unemployed, ensuring that business rules forbidding home businesses would be toppled so all areas, even apartments could run them. And you'd be freeing people up at the same time, equalizing more, and educating people.

You could then have even greater tax purse, and even better equalizing so that people could share jobs and allow technology, ie the Venus Project, where technology frees people up to contribute from their talents and interests and need to help, and good educations would change this for everyone.

In other words, this is a gradual process, involving good free clean energy. And raising education.

So in other words, total wrong way to bring up everyone standards and still include freedom and flexibility. Just totally the wrong way of doing it.

And this way is NOT A GO AHEAD. We're not his, China's or any elites slaves in the plantations.

This is a corporate problem, not the people's karma.

PERIOD.
edit on 17-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

That's a good question considering the colonial powers recent land grabs in Uganda that have pushed some 20,000 residents into poverty to clear way for British timber company (NFC) New Forest Company,and "HRW" spot lighting the Obama administrations current foreign policy advocating funds allocated to governments to use children as soldiers.

So you tell me,would you be ticked off..

This source will verify the landgrab by the British:
Source

This source will verify the use of child soldiers:
Source

This also happens in Yemen:
Source

Child soldiers global report 2008:
Source

Read the whole report here:
Source

edit on 17-10-2011 by Daedal because: Error

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathwa
reply to post by windword

What you say definately makes sense. My question for you though- is Obama right or wrong? I am under the impression that although colonialism in Africa "ended" almost 50 years ago, the effects linger. Is it naive to just say "get over it"? That would seem like something TPTB would say.

While the impact of multi-national corporate power is everywhere, there is no doubt Africa has had one despotic dictator after another. Not all countries, but enough of them. It's easy for a society who's media is controlled to blame everyone but their own despicable rulers. The Arab spring has scared the hell out of despots everywhere. Good. People see change elsewhere and wonder why in a continent so rich, so many are in dreadful poverty. The result of such fear is as we see in Syria, tremendous even more-then-standard oppression.

But in time the population just won't take the garbage anymore. I hope sooner then later. I am pleased so many nations in Africa are leaping ahead of early wired communications infrastructure, and going right into wireless. We need to help by offering advanced and decentralized infrastructure technology as well. (we in the developed world should look at better ways to "repair" old infrastructure as well. It's cheaper)

But no doubt that so many of Africa's problems are the result of home-grown "god kings and grand pubar's" They are the main problem.

top topics

join