It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arab League says will fund Palestinians after U.S. cuts aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have stumbled upon more proof that the US government is loyal to the Israeli government above everything else, not that we needed any more proof. It is already quite evident. I thought I would share this news anyways because I am sure some of you may be interested in seeing more hypocritical actions from the US government.

Haaretz

The head of the Arab League Nabil al-Arabi said Sunday Arab countries would offer financial assistance to the Palestinians instead of the aid which the United States threatened to halt over a Palestinian bid for a state.

So, Abbas takes the peaceful route to seek UN membership and he has met nothing but childish rhetoric from Washington and Tel Aviv. Israel has threatened friction ever since Abbas first mentioned the planned bid for UN membership earlier this year.

"The Arabs will assist the Palestinian Authority. This will be the strongest answer (to the U.S. threat)," al-Arabi told reporters in Cairo after talks with chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat. The United States Congress blocked nearly $200 million in aid to the Palestinians, the U.K’s Independent newspaper reported on Saturday.

The American government will cut 200 million dollars in well needed aid to a region that has long suffered under the Israeli occupation. They even kept these funds flowing while terrorist attacks were happening against the Israelis, but once they try to peacefully gain UN membership their funds get axed. I also find it odd that many Israel supporters claim that the Arabs in the region are partly to blame for the predicament the Palestinians are now in even though it seems the Arab states in the region are the only people on earth willing to actually speak out against the current situation.

I am willing to guarantee that Israel will keep receiving their billions of American tax payer dollars though. I cannot find the logic in this. Israel continues to receive aid while they are directly interfering with the peace process, continue building settlements against advice of many nations, continue with inhumane checkpoints and sponsoring an apartheid like regime. Maybe Palestine should try this method, they might receive more aid from the USA

The aid, which was destined for projects related to food aid, health care, and state building efforts, was to have been transferred to the Palestinian Authority during the U.S. fiscal year that ended Friday, according to the report. However, the remainder of the aid allocated to the Palestinian Authority for the current financial year will not be transferred. The Independent reported that the block by three Congressional committees has been in force since August 18, when it was formally notified that USAID, the U.S. government aid agency, wanted to transfer the remaining $192 million funding for the current fiscal year.

This money was for important programs such as health care and infra-structure. In all reality, they did nothing to deserve the aid being cut. Sure, it is American money and they can do what ever they want with it. But the reasons are all wrong. I don't know how anyone can even partially believe that these sick people in power actually care about anyone in that region. The regular citizens of Israel and Palestine are being used as leverage in a twisted political agenda that has been going on for decades.

I am personally tired of watching this soap opera on the news. It's like a poorly written sit-com, fake as can be. All the notions are rigged, sure it makes a good story, but certain groups and organizations have made it quite clear they are willing to do what ever it takes to make sure Palestine does not achieve UN membership.

Here are a few of the recent actions Israel has decided to take since the Palestinian bid for UN membership a couple weeks ago.

Israel okays 1,600 settler homes for East Jerusalem

Knesset to vote on annexing West Bank

Merkel tells Netanyahu new settlement plans 'raise doubts' Israel is serious about new talks

These few events alone make it quite clear that the USA and Israel are not truly seeking peace in the region Actions speak louder than words. Even the pro Israel government in Germany are publicly speaking out against Israeli actions. You know it's bad if they are even getting fed up with these games.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

The head of the Arab League Nabil al-Arabi said Sunday Arab countries would offer financial assistance to the Palestinians instead of the aid which the United States threatened to halt over a Palestinian bid for a state.

It is about time that the rich Arab nations help out their brothers in Palestine. I am all for it! But, I will believe none of what I hear and only 1/2 of what I see on their offers.

I've personally seen UN and USAID goods in stores in the aided countries in the Mid-East--when it should have gone directly to the people.

Right now, I'm against foreign aid to the Mid-East; the US needs to take care of our own.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by BurningSpearess

I personally am not against foreign aid to any country, as long as they are in need of it, and it is properly delivered. It definitely is discouraging to see any aid be stolen and ending up on store shelves, it happens almost everywhere.

I also believe foreign aid should only be delivered if the country sending the aid has all their issues taken care of at home first. I do think the Americans should keep these kinds of funds they send to countries like Israel, Pakistan, Egypt for their own citizens.

And yes, the Arab countries in that region need to take more responsibility. It appears they may finally be doing so.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Why can't Eygpt rock in and peacefully Annex Palestine? - right up to the pre 67 borders of Israel.

Palestine would then be an autonomous region of the State of Egypt.

Sort all the BS out.

Then Palestine get granted independance from its Parent Eygpt?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

We seem to agree in principle.

But, I am seeing some contradictions within your own arguments:

Here, you indicate that you are not against foreign aid to any country, as long as they are in need of it, and it is properly delivered...:

I personally am not against foreign aid to any country, as long as they are in need of it, and it is properly delivered. It definitely is discouraging to see any aid be stolen and ending up on store shelves, it happens almost everywhere.

Here, you are selective in eliminating certain countries:

I also believe foreign aid should only be delivered if the country sending the aid has all their issues taken care of at home first. I do think the Americans should keep these kinds of funds they send to countries like Israel, Pakistan, Egypt for their own citizens.

How are you determining who is eliminated: who is worthy and who is not? I guess there needs to be more oversight by the US in supported countries... And at this point in time, we both agree the US should not be supplying aid, right?

My only contigency at this point would be *truly natural disaster wrecked countries* like in the horn of Africa, for example.

And yes, the Arab countries in that region need to take more responsibility. It appears they may finally be doing so.

I hope these countries do take more responsibility, I truly do. But precedent has been set, i.e., look at Arafat and his PLO residiuals....

PS-sorry for the delayed response; I just discovered the reply feature and don't understand why ATS doesn't notify like with u2us, etc.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I am not sure I would consider that a contradiction. I explained that I am not against foreign aid to any country as long as they meet certain conditions. I explained those conditions then explained which countries I believe should not receive aid.

The reason I singled out those countries is due to certain conditions such as human rights, foreign policies, and the financial well being of their governments. Perhaps others may not agree with my reasons. The reasons were different for each country I listed. I can think of many other countries, including the people of Palestine, who could use aid much more than the countries I singled out. My overall point was that the USA gives aid to corrupt states, yet will stop funding other countries who are less guilty of what they have been accused of compared to Egypt, Israel, Pakistan who continue to receive aid. It just proves that they are lying for the reasons the aid is provided.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I am not sure I would consider that a contradiction. I explained that I am not against foreign aid to any country as long as they meet certain conditions. I explained those conditions then explained which countries I believe should not receive aid.

Star--Yes, I agree you have made *a* case for Israel; how do you make the cases for Egypt, and Pakistan (although the latter is a bit of a derailment from the thread but I guess the masses consider this the Mid-east)...?

And finally, how do you contrast the past history of PLO/Palestine Authoirities misuse of funds from that of Israel? How did the US explain away the use of their funds going to Arafat's billions funded, etc.?

We agree, and yet disagree it seems...

edit on 4-10-2011 by BurningSpearess because: my computer is going haywire and I should avoid posting for the time-being!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Yes it seems we agree and disagree on certain scenarios. I still apreciate you opinion. I should have clarified a bit more when I singled out those 3 countries. When I mentioned Egypt, my comparison was directed to the Mubarrak regime. He had a questionable human rights record at best. He was a dictator who served the wealthy and caused suffering for many of his people, yet the USA continued to donate funds. My guess is because Mubarrak helped forward Israeli and American interests in the region. I think funding corrupt regimes such as his is a bit of a double standard.

Pakistan has always received American aid as far back as I can remember, even though they gave refuge to that scientist who sold nuclear weapons information. I believe his name is Khan. USA has threatened to stop funding Pakistan's military, but so far it's nothing but saber rattling. Pakistan also has many ties with countless organizations that the Americans consider "terrorists".

I just find it hypocritical that the Americans continued to fund thes countries, but stop funding Palestine for much lesser reasons.

As for Arafat, I am a bit biased in this situation. I hate to justify violence, but Arafat was a mirror image of the situation he was given. What he did with Israeli funding was fair game considering the money was welfare money given to Israel by he Americans. The Israeli government were just as crooked then as they are now.

new topics

top topics

join