It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What just slammed the Sun?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Sorry, but these are the same old Elenin comparison photos that have been peddled around here for weeks?anything recent?
edit on 3-10-2011 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U
Questions:
1.) How far is the sun away from us?
2.) How fast does a comet travel?
3.) How long did the comet or whatever that was take to impact the sun?

Answers:
1.) Approximately 93 MILLION miles from earth
2.) 40 miles per second (at it's closest point to the sun) A missle travels 14,000 mph.
3.) 13 seconds

Hypothesis:
BS. It was probably a missle that hit an object, in space...giving the illusion, as if it hit the sun. Correct me if i'm wrong....but the angle the U.F.O. (Unidentified Flying Object) was traveling, and the way the explosion occured, just doesn't make sense. The explosion should have come from the same direction the U.F.O. was traveling....not the opposite side.

Questions 1 & 2 you got correct.
However the "comet or whatever", actually took 8 and a half hours, if you care to watch the clock on the video.
Not being petty tho, i actually agree it was still unordinarily fast for a comet to travel that much space in such time.

Also your hypothesis, is going by the assumption it impacted straight away, it may have actually continued travelling on, once past the Sun protection on the lens of the scope, a more forward trajectory from the anlge of the camera to hit the sun towards the north, rather than side on instantly.
This is just my opinion tho.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by Human_Alien

Comets are not the size of a planet. What is their average size?
Lets see...

lmgtfy.com...

Looks like an average of about 750 meters to about 20 kilometers or about 20 miles max in size. Hardly even town size forget about planet size.
edit on 3-10-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

Well then, it's one of two things.
This was a lot smaller than it appeared or it was not a comet.

What else is left?

Ha Ha, so you want me to google "everything else" ? Sorry not enough time . (unless you want to help LOL)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm curious, do you think that this can be a cause for solar flares like those that hit earth every now and then and wipe out power?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

shame the guy in the youtube clip has to lower himself to labelling anyone who doesn't agree with him as 'sheeple'. I really hope that miserable phrase can die a death very soon.
edit on 3-10-2011 by FlyingSpaghettiMonster because: (no reason given)

He sounds like a typical ATS member then.

Cool vid and yeah, seems like it's most likely to be a huge asteroid or something but seeing that.....thank whatever pretend deity you believe in for being able to see things like this with modern technology.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Your forth source; I don't know where Ray Villard got the information that Elenin "should" be visible but since he used a commonly used and mislabled image of it I doubt his source was reliable.

The images are not from SOHO.

Then the real question is where do you get your informations? Maybe this is personal but still nice to ask considering you seems to know a lot on the subject.

Another question, do you think a celestial object hitting the sun has the potential to cause disruption in the magnetic field of the sun which would cause CME. I want to hear your take on it Phage.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Mystery Over

The Object that hit the sun is...... ~DISATER AREA~ The Revival Tour

Seriously though has the angle of trajectory of the two plasma fingers (lets call them) been figured out yet or is it all strangeley quiet from the official sources?
Is Obama still in Denver?

edit on 3-10-2011 by DreamerOracle because: errors

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by wutz4tom

That was from Sept. How recent do you need? Its only Oct 3rd. And what's the age of the photos have to do with this anyway. Its still a photo and the point I was debunking was that no photos exist of Elenin . Clearly that is not true no matter how old the photos are they are still photos of Elenin.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Do we know what comet this was? It must have been huge so how the hell was it not spotted (assuming it wasn't).

Was it known this was going to happen?

link   

Originally posted by mikemck1976
I found this after I saw this thread...
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

A bright comet headed right towards the Sun and disintegrated (Oct. 2, 2011). It was a sungrazing comet of the type known as a Kreutz sungrazer and a particularly bright one at that. There is not a definitive orbit calculated for it yet, but most sungrazing comets have orbits that take them very close to the Sun without actually quite hitting it. However, getting so close almost always destroys these comets, so we see them going in, but not going back out.The question of whether a sungrazing comet can somehow trigger a coronal mass ejection is an intriguing one. So far, the feeling is that apparent relationship between some comets and some mass ejections is simply one of co-incidence. At this stage of the solar cycle, the Sun is producing many mass ejections--in fact there were several earlier in the day--and it probably just happened by chance that one of them was around the same time as the approach of the comet. Some researchers have been looking for a more direct relationship, but nothing as yet has come out of these efforts.

There you have it folks, straight from NASA and SOHO website.
No conspiracy here.

You always believe in everything NASA says???

link   
Fantastic find HumanA
You would think the MSM would have said something about it by now

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by welshreduk

It was tiny. That's why it wasn't (spotted).
Kreutz Comets

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard

Originally posted by mikemck1976
I found this after I saw this thread...
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

A bright comet headed right towards the Sun and disintegrated (Oct. 2, 2011). It was a sungrazing comet of the type known as a Kreutz sungrazer and a particularly bright one at that. There is not a definitive orbit calculated for it yet, but most sungrazing comets have orbits that take them very close to the Sun without actually quite hitting it. However, getting so close almost always destroys these comets, so we see them going in, but not going back out.The question of whether a sungrazing comet can somehow trigger a coronal mass ejection is an intriguing one. So far, the feeling is that apparent relationship between some comets and some mass ejections is simply one of co-incidence. At this stage of the solar cycle, the Sun is producing many mass ejections--in fact there were several earlier in the day--and it probably just happened by chance that one of them was around the same time as the approach of the comet. Some researchers have been looking for a more direct relationship, but nothing as yet has come out of these efforts.

There you have it folks, straight from NASA and SOHO website.
No conspiracy here.

You always believe in everything NASA says???

(Directly copied from spaceweather.com)

Watch the movie again. The timing of the CME so soon after the comet dove into the sun suggests a link. But what? There is no known mechanism for comets to trigger solar explosions. Before 2011 most solar physicists would have discounted the events of Oct. 1st as pure coincidence--and pure coincidence is still the most likely explanation. Earlier this year, however, the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) watched another sungrazer disintegrate in the sun's atmosphere. On July 5, 2011, the unnamed comet appeared to interact with plasma and magnetic fields in its surroundings as it fell apart. Could a puny comet cause a magnetic instability that might propagate and blossom into a impressive CME? The question is not so crazy as it once seemed to be

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
thanks for the post! I was in class today and saw this vid on another forum (that has banned my home IP - still check it out now and then for laughs) and was thinking a post should be on here about this! It is an awesome vid, with only three possibilities:
1) a huge comet slamed the sun causing a huge emission
2) a huge comet slammed the sun at the same time as a huge emission
3) it was photoshopped.

I think it very interesting that the vid has been edited on nasa's site. Very very odd. Very interesting too! I am looking forward to everyone's thoughts on this one!
thanks again

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Set the controls for the Heart of the sun Eugene -- Pink Floyd

Maybe the Aliens have Mods too. Real BIG Ones...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chrissiel123

4) It was a very small comet that was only visible because the coronograph cameras are very sensitive and it got very bright as it neared the Sun.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by welshreduk
Do we know what comet this was? It must have been huge so how the hell was it not spotted (assuming it wasn't).

Was it known this was going to happen?

We don't know it's a comet for sure and anyone pretending to know is full of ego.

And no, apparently no one expected it seeing it wasn't even named. Because we know NASA loves naming things...especially when they're not even discovered yet (Tyche)!

Now, go figger!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

4) It was a very small comet that was only visible because the coronograph cameras are very sensitive and it got very bright as it neared the Sun.

yes, thanks Phage - I was hoping you might post on this thread. You are of course very correct, the size cannot be determined by what the camera shows us. I was going by what was claimed on another site that the size had been determined to be earth-sized - though of course when i think of it that does not seem possible, so i stand corrected!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

It's not the size of a planet. That's the object vaporizing as it nears the sun, and causing a sort of "glare" in the radio signal being used to detect it. Probably a pretty big comet, as comets go, but certainly not planet-sized. If it were that big, we would have seen its gravitational effect all the way between Mercury and Mars.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I'm suprised that noone has also mentioned that a comet's coma is usually significantly larger than the comets nucleus, which is why it also apears to be rather large. The nucleus of the comet could be relatively small (in comparison, say 3 - 4 km) but the coma can reach immense sizes.

While the solid nucleus of comets is generally less than 50 km (31 mi) across, the coma may be larger than the Sun, and ion tails have been observed to extend one astronomical unit (150 million km) or more.[11]

Source

-saige-

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join