It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African Americans Better under Bush

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Bush has continuously sought quality black leaders and positioned them in key parts of his administration, including leadership at the Office of Personnel Management, the Department of Education and the Department of Housing and Urban Development. At a time when foreign affairs and terrorism are of prime concern, we have a black secretary of state and a black national security adviser. Never have blacks held such top jobs in an administration.

There is increasing evidence that blacks are becoming disillusioned with traditional big-government politics of the Democratic Party. The widely reported 2002 survey by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies showed erosion in black identification as Democrats and increased identification of young blacks as independents. The black clergy is united and outspoken in support of the current initiative, supported by the president, to amend the Constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

So why have Blacks not flocked to Bush? I think it's only a matter of time before we see more Black Republicans. This would be the death-kill to the Democratic party who only want Blacks to vote for them, and not give them any real power.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Condi Rice and Coline Powell, without doubt capable individuals by themselves, look terrible in the employ of the Bush administration. Anybody remember Powell presenting an empty vial at the UN saying it might possibly contain anthrax, or somethign to this effect? A childish and laughable exercise at politics. Codni is a laughing stock altogether. The name of an important informant working against Al Qaeda was given to the press (!!!!!!) on the background (!!!!!!) Give me a break.

Poor, poor record. Not their fault, but the manipulation by the Bush clique.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
. . . give them any real power.

You don't see a little "hand out" philosophy here?

I don't think anyone GAVE Obama or Julian Bond anything- they EARNED it!

Appointing someone to a position of power means "I bought you, I own you"

The capital of slavery just moved north of the Potomac.

Marion Berry EARNED his postion- all kinds of people fought against him and he still won by ability- NOT purchase

Many blacks leaders see this.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Colin Powell had power before Bush. Colin Powell was respected before Bush. Now all of Colin Powell's respect is gone. Condi Rice? Wow, never heard of her. Wasn't she a CEO of an oil company?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Colin Powell would've made a much better president than Bush.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Flyboy I totally agree with you about Powell. I would have voted across my party lines to elect him president. It is a shame how his standing not only in the US but the world has changed in the last 3 years. Hopefully we won't see him completely leave government service although he has earned a break.

As for Bush being good for African Americans I would love to see some of our african american members post this. I suspect we will find that Bush has done little for them, sadly I am not sure anyone has payed much attention to them from that office yet.

I would love to see the candidate give a 1hr speech each on minority issues and their plans to help all minorities.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I find it funny that Democrats resort to name calling when ever anyone points out something they don't like. The simple fact is that minorities have fared better under Bush than any other. Marion Berry earned his power? the man was caught doing crack with a prostitute and still was elected again as mayor of DC because he was black. no body gave powell or Rice anything. they earned it. Seems if you are republican you must be a racist, homophobe, right wing nut, according to the Democratic party.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Flyboy - I agree that Colin Powell would've made a far better President than Bush. If memory serves, when there was rumor he might run, the media started digging into his past and found that his wife had a history of taking antidepressants, and started questioning him about it and running stories about her fitness to be First Lady.

Colin Powell's reaction was "If it's going to be sh*t like this, forget about it, I'm not running."

Doesn't that say something about modern democracy?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It is very sad what this administration did to Collin, they use him and his reputation and credibility was chatter, you don't hear about him much anymore. I used to admire him but I think he let bush use him and he did not defend himself.

And for Condi she has don't nothing for the black community, and her humble beginnings are not humble at all, and she has been around since bush senior years, and yes she is an oils women and she does have a tanker in her name for the outstanding yeas she gave them.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Marion Barry might not be a good example, try some of his musings on for size:

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate."

"The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice."

And this is my favorite:

"First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl."

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Otts, yes it sad what the Democrats did to Powell, after all he has done for his country. The Democrats were so scared that Powell would run, that they asked Hillary how to trash him while still come off smelling like a rose. Powell a true Republican and moderate would be a great President, but unfortunatelly He won't run because of what the Democrats constantly do. Trash the Republicans.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
pistol, love the photo. I can't wait to see how the Democrats try to destroy Miss America 2003 when she speaks at the RNC. Smart Young Black woman from Illinois who knows the truth. I have to admire someone who makes up thier own mind and does not buy that's what we always do.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Jrs, what name calling? And how are they better off? Because a black guy was elected after doing coke? That doesn't sound like advancement to me. Hell, Bush did coke by the tons in college and then some. So doing coke and being elected isn't new.

But yes, Colin Powell has lost face in America. 4-8 years ago if he had ran it would have been a clean sweep in the norther states. In the south may have had problems since he is black, but with California, New York, Ohio, Michigan, the northern states on Powell's side he would have won. Yes, 8 years ago he would have beaten Clinton in 1996. But today? No. Hell, he wouldn't win the black man with highest government position. That would go to a janitor in the white house.(not that all janitors are black, but in a Grisham book it had a black janitor that heard a hell of a lot more than we ever did, and sold it to the media.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
jrsdsl - Interesting, blaming the Democrats for Powell not running. I'd like to see that documented, because right now blaming the Democrats for everything is too convenient.

Hey, my electricity bill got raised again... damn those Democrats!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
James the Lesser, Powell and Condi Rice have been called "uncle toms" by the Black congressional congress, and the NAACP. I would never claim marion Berry as being a positive, He a Democrat. Show me the Proof that Bush did coke in college. don't come here a make an accusation like that without proof. I would never say that about Kerry. I will call him a liar, but never a cokehead. you take a fictional book by Grisham as being true? I hope that was said in jest. As far as knowing more than you and I, After spending 20 years in the Intel business, I can tell you, America does not know half the story. The media rarely get it right. that all I can say.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
just do a google on Powell and Democrats, you'll see all you need.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
james here is a link for you to view:

www.dailykos.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
jrsdls,

Ocurss you can find lots of things this days in the internet, but it just depend what side you are lining on, and every body knows on wish one you are.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
jdrsrl (do I have your name right? dang, I'm not good with acronyms...) I'll take you up on that. I'm doing a search with "Colin Powell Democrats" as key words right now. Anything specific I should look for?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I don't like or i'm not comfortable with using 'White', 'Black', 'Asian' or whatever to class people, as each person is an individual who shouldn't be classed by colour, however for clarity i will use colour.

Although African Americans, Asians, Hispanics etc.. may be a minority in America, doesn't mean you should treat them differently. Surely what affects African Americans affects all? Why the distinction of 'African American'? Isn't just 'American' fine, we need to get away from labels such as that. Maybe i'm just an idealist...

Anyway Colin Powell is an astute, authoritative, and a very intelligent man, why couldn't he have just ignored the press and ran for president. I don't believe that people should be in positions just because of a certain skin colour or creed, however Colin Powell would have helped to bring in a lot of black americans who may feel alienated/misrepresented by the political process. I'm surprised there isn't a huge campaign among Republican voters to have President Powell!

I know there have, are and will be many influential and intelligent black people in the US, that's a great thing. The one who stands out for me is Martin Luther King, yes of course he started the civil rights movement but he was such a perceptive and intelligent man. I remember watching Driving Miss Daisy which is an excellent film, during the film they listen to one of his speeches. In one of them he talks about how people in the future will say that it wasn't the racism that was the worst thing, but the thousands of quiet 'white' americans who didn't agree with it but kept quiet about it. That just blew me away...

Another question, why are there only two main political parties in the US? In Britain there are several mainstream parties.

[edit on 27/8/04 by Flyboy211]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join