It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Spring: Why it will never happen.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
1, Most of the Wall Street protesters are white collar college graduates.
2, the average blue collar American is too busy trying to survive to protest.
3, Americans love their fast food and sitcoms too much to embrace disruption.
4, the average mid American already dislikes NYC and LA and will just laugh.
5, the average American is very patriotic and will hate the protesters.
6, the numbers are too small.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
7. Our government won't allow it.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yes, never forget how your government treated students in the 1960's.

link   
Oh, it'll happen.
As soon as we're all starving, you'll be seing it.
Probably not before, though.

American Spring- manly, yes, but I like it, too.
(insert picture of a bar of soap)
edit on 3-10-2011 by subject x because:

link   

Originally posted by mandroids

So you speak for "the average mid American"? And really - since when have "the average mid American" disliked NYC and LA? "Average mid Americans" visit these cities in droves all the time to see the sights and spend money.

Some details you're carefully ignoring - most of these protesters can't find work right now. Since when is it patriotic to hate people leveraging their Constitutional birth right to free speech? That doesn't sound very American to me.

What sort of numbers would you like to see at these protests? Why are you ignoring the fact that they've spread to other cities?
edit on 3-10-2011 by negativenihil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Yup, and people like you will not do anything at all, except complaining that nothing is going to change anyways, no matter what you do, so you just do nothing.

It's people like you who allow the system to function as it does.

What was the purpose of your thread again ?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
We had riots in the UK and they spread and then...nothing. Its the same thing with America,but,this time,its a tiny and well educated minority that wants to sock it to the system. Wait until sub zero temps..

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

We had riots in the UK and they spread and then...nothing. Its the same thing with America,but,this time,its a tiny and well educated minority that wants to sock it to the system. Wait until sub zero temps..

So you're from the UK... speaking for the "average mid American"?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Live in the UK,but from N America.

My points are the facts you can come back to in a couple of months for reasons why the demo's and revolutions fizzled out.

link   

1. maybe that gives us hope for future generations?
2. not when the economy colapses and most dont have jobs
3. it only takes a few weeks to get over them things..but once again wait for the economy to go
4. people are waking up everywhere not just them places.
5. patriotic when their own police brutalise innocent people? we will see retaliation from authority increase as people start to stand up..and this will cause many others to open their eyes
6. hardly...we have millions. their power only comes from money and money has no power if we choose not to give it any..their system of control is based on us participating..we have the choice
7. governments powers only come from the economy. of course they wont allow it but do we have to listen?

edit on 3-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

link   
protests will help spread the message
but we can win the war
tptb only have their power because we use their money system..its as simple as stop using it and work together to rebuild the systems of society
when the police and army cant get paid because their governments have been trapped by debt controled by the bankers..do you think they will change their minds then

when the shtf for real, a lot more people will wake up then you could probably imagine.
change is inevitable, its the way of life
edit on 3-10-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The protests in the Middle east and Lybia were/are about a dictatorial government oppressing people.

The protests in NYC and elsewhere...the best i can tell...are about rich folks getting richer and corrupt business and political ties creating an enviroment that hurts people.... I think.

When people are starving in mass numbers, we will see protests. It won't happen soon.

Further, the numbers of protestors seem very small compared to the protests of the 1960s...and how did that turn out?

The Wall Street folks that are villanized are laughing from there suites overseas... and looking over business reports...

Last night as we closed down our store and counted the tills, we had so many hundreds we had to count them 3 times to be accurate and then counted behind each other. My point being that every American is hurting to some degree...most are not yet hurting as much as the few... and I say that in relative numbers, not iggnorance.

Lastly, and the point I bring up each time but with no response...What are the protestors specifically protesting and with what goal in mind? Until we can get about 10 specific bullet points that the everyman can understand...no one is leaving the job they have, the farm, or the family to protests...

Tell Us What You Want?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

While the progenitors of this "Occupy Movement" may or may not have been white collar graduates the current majority does not seem to be. Frankly, I don't know. I'm not sure how you do. Even if it is the truth, the prospects for that particular age group and demographic are dismal, so implying an upper middle class perspective does not take the teeth out of their conviction because they are currently watching the destruction of said demographic.

Originally posted by mandroids2, the average blue collar American is too busy trying to survive to protest.

This could be a point. However, many may very well come to the point of "Enough is enough" and add their voices as well. It is difficult to say though.

Originally posted by mandroids3, Americans love their fast food and sitcoms too much to embrace disruption.

Because The Fat Lazy American stereo-type must be acknowledged. I understand.

Originally posted by mandroids4, the average mid American already dislikes NYC and LA and will just laugh.

1. I don't find this to be true.

2. Even if it were, New York is the symbolic center for our economic elite.

3. The actual location may have little enough to do in the end with whether or not people agree with the sentiment behind the protests.

4. Besides, they seem to be beginning to spread to other locations.

Originally posted by mandroids5, the average American is very patriotic and will hate the protesters.

Most Americans also come from a long tradition of rising up against authority that squashes those principles that this "patriotism" is based upon. Patriotism does not automatically mean "respect and obey the government". Quite the opposite for many actually.

Originally posted by mandroids6, the numbers are too small.

For now.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
The protests in the Middle east and Lybia were/are about a dictatorial government oppressing people.

The protests in NYC and elsewhere...the best i can tell...are about rich folks getting richer and corrupt business and political ties creating an enviroment that hurts people.... I think.

what you see in some 3rd world nations controlled by dictators is an open and obvious form of opression/violence.

western nations have found a smarter, less direct way to control its people.
it may not be as obvious but it is just as dangerous and will lead to just as much violence.
people tend not to realise because it is subtle and works its powers over many generations rather than a dictatorship that may burn out in a few decades or whatever.
its a bit like the elephant in the room..but we cant take our eyes off the cockroach in the rubbish bin.

money is equal to power.
when a very small % of people control most of the money you get a subtle dictatorship
but its most dangerous effects are not obvious and spread over many years..

the people fighting for their rights in america are just the same as those in the middle east

to tell you what they are fighting for..i would sum it up as 'an equal and opression free world'

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If it doesn't happen, it's only one reason.

Americans are so focused on things that don't matter they cannot get it together enough to help each other out against our unified enemy, the big banks.

They are waiting for some "perfect moment" which will not arrive. They are as bad as the people screwing us IMO, because they allow it. Always waiting for something. Letting themselves be positioned for slaughter.

Lift up your neck America, it wont hurt too much when they cut your throat. Oh wait...

Too late.

Thanks for letting the Federal Reserve, and their owners, eat us alive! Let's all argue about Gays in the Military, or Welfare spending, or Tax dodging companies, or wait... didn't some brown person do something bad to report on this second?

So sad.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

**I was actually thinking the same thing.Why didn't they start this sooner because NY winters are rough.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ultimately, the modern American has no stomach for revolution because he has too much to lose and no enough tolerance for discomfort.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Of course, it won't happen here--as the situation exists today. There is a world (Third World) of difference between where that stuff is happening and the US--so far.

Increase taxes, enhance the elite, remove more jobs offshore and increase the pressure to herd us into the confines that seem to be designed for us, and then it may happn. But I doubt it.

Only if there is a complete breakdown of our infrastrcture of food availability, electrical and water services will the few raise up and rampage. In the short term such actions will make the situation worse as we are seeing in the countries where this is happening. Where it would go from there, up or down in civility is an open question.

Remember that old saying: "Be careful what you ask for, you just may get it."

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

there is a difference between riots and protests. What exactly were the demands of the Rioters in the UK, I didn't get a look at their banners or hear their chants as they were pilfering JD Sports or the local pound shop.

At least the yanks have kept it all peaceful, even our student riots descended into violence and destruction. I also think despite the pepper spray incident the police have been pretty calm, in the UK they are in full riot gear and ready to crack some heads.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Its the facebook generation complaining.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join