It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AOL popups - almost impossible to close

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This doesn't bother me too much but I'm thinking about the guests. I was quickly surfing without logging in the other day on a friends computer and had a hell of a time trying to close the AOL ads. They cover the start of the post you're trying to read, there's no visible 'x' box, and when you try and close it you invariably end up opening the banner ad behind it. Half an hour of surfing left me severly annoyed with it, I think the guests would be the same. Even moving them down a bit so the top of them isn't over the banner ads might solve it.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
It's a sucker's game. Alt/Ctrl/Del Enter. Kills em dead.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They don't bother me, I have pop up blockers so I don't see them. I don't think we can assume all the guests have the same or know how to get rid of them, because if we did what would be the point of popups in the first place?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
They succeed in making me never want to use AOL ever just out of spite. Competitors should place AOL ads themselves.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
They succeed in making me never want to use AOL ever just out of spite. Competitors should place AOL ads themselves.

Any person with half a brain should be never wanting to use AOL imho :@

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This has been reported to our ad network provider, they've classifying it as a bug and are working on it now.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Any person with half a brain should be never wanting to use AOL imho :@

I agree with that- been with AOL for years- thanks

Those with only "half a brain" I feel for

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You know, right when I clicked this thread, I was bombarded with 3 popups !

lol

Deep

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
No popups for me at all. Since I've been using Mozilla Firefox. Best thing thats ever happened to me. Believe me, after countless hours of using IE6 surfing the web, and closing popups you become one with both the mouseclick procedure as well as the mousedrag followed by a mouseclick.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
No popups for me at all. Since I've been using Mozilla Firefox. Best thing thats ever happened to me. Believe me, after countless hours of using IE6 surfing the web, and closing popups you become one with both the mouseclick procedure as well as the mousedrag followed by a mouseclick.

Firefox is awesome-

One 'slight' problem I have had is the display of ? on pages where a ' or " should be. I have checked them with AOL, Netscape 7 and IE browsers so it is a Firefox issue. There is probably a little add-on someplace I haven't found.

The add-ons for Firefox are enormous. FractalOut is above awesome

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yup, we're working on this. Has anyone seen this on anything but flash ads appearing in layers?

Brian

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Get a pop-up blocker...

Google taskbar or what I use.... NoAds

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hey, AOL is great! if you get it for 5 bucks a month through a deal that Jeep made with AOL for the Jeep employees.(my dad is one)

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Another annoyance I have encountered is that there is usually a banner ad over most of the box for the username when I sign in. I have to click on the itty bitty sliver of the box that shows to type in my name.

BG

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Download the new servicepack for XP it will kill all your pop-ups.

new topics

top topics

join