It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two tornadoes touchdown in South Africa, outside Johannesburg

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Oh ok, then it's my pleasure
glad I could help.

I think it's awesome that there are so many here, I'm forever looking for you guys, seems like all we need to do is to post something from SA and voila, all the SA'ns come crawling out of their little nooks and crannies

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixie777
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Aha! Thanks now I also know where the pics came from

Of course yes, gotta follow the boerewors trail here, that's is ultimately what we are famous for
well one of the things anyway
I was just surprised to see something from ol' SA here, we rarely see news of SA here on ATS

You are correct in saying that it isn't often stuff from SA gets posted here, but keep your eye on ATS Firehose. If something from SA is posted, you'll see it in that 12 hr period. Normally when something of significance happens, someone here will post something. If you look at my first reply on this thread, you'll see a link to a thread I made on the snow.

Even though I'm not there anymore, I keep up as much as I can with SA, and will post when something from that side of the world comes to my attention.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

This post was a good sign that you are following your intuition which is a huge defense mechanism in these disaster scenarios and that you are right to be prepared and at ready even if your area has not yet been hit.

Remember that electric and water can go down when weather strikes like this so keep on doing what 'you' feel is right and then stay tuned to your local news for updates.

Stay safe!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

All well here bud. We've had some rather strange weather this side of the world too. Recently had a tornado in Goderich here, and tornado warnings in the Greater Toronto area a few weeks back. Last week I had to put the aircon back on for a few days, so it's all gone a bit awry at the moment. LOL!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Always safe
Bit of a nut, you know! Thank you for your reply

Bit hot up there?

We are still havin' our sunny days, 30+ degrees, and the next day we're down to 20 or lower, you know.. the ups and downs.

So, Canada had its share, too? Is it common up there?

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

From what I hear it's not uncommon to have tornadoes in the central parts of Canada. Here in Toronto and surrounding areas it doesn't happen much, but it can and does.

It's similar to SA now in that the seasons are changing, and we also get the ups and downs. I like this part of the year, best time weather-wise. It isn't that 30+ with humidity like Durbs that we have in summer, but it also is the -10 yet, so I'm enjoying it!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Hey u guys like die antwoord? lol

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

I watched one their videos a while back and it was pretty funny. Now that you mention them, you reminded me of another show in SA called "The Most Amazing Show" starring two dimwits, Corne' and Twakkie. That used to be some pretty slapstick stuff. It looks like it's off the air, but I did find this clip of the dimwits

Unfortunately, if you ain't South African, you probably won't get it.

OMFG - 1:00 to 1:03 I almost died laughing at that!!

edit on 3-10-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

I see we are not on the below map, come on SA we can't be the only ones in SA that want this too ...

ATS thread worldwide peaceful protests planned for October 15th

Sorry, I know it's kinda off-topic, but this is where I can reach my fellow country folk.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Pixie777 because: typo

edit on 3-10-2011 by Pixie777 because: removed vid it's already on the link provided to ATS thread.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

It's the same here, as you know
And btw , the south is safe

You know, for those who say it is the norm..In my life time i have not heard of a tornado touching down close-by, and now we've had two in one day, 40km from my house and "it happens every year" ...BS

I know, all of us Safricans know, this does NOT happen. They tell us that we get tornadoes every year, we do,YES, but not right next door? Those people who have been hit did not even know what hit them..."It was a snake"...They were thinking it was the end of the world. Now, if it was so common in S.A, wouldn't we know?

In 39 years i have not seen this, yet "It is common"???

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Myself as well, it's a first for me too, I am 37 and I actually lived in the Freestate for about 4 years. This is supposed to happen regularly there? Why doesn't it then regularly make the news?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixie777

If i could star you nonstop i would!!!

Pixie, ...we are not sheeple

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by qonone

It's the same here, as you know
Good to hear from you! The south is safe

You know, for those who say it is the norm..In my life time i have not heard of a tornado touching down close-by, and now we've had two in one day, 40km from my house and "it happens every year" ...BS

I know, all of us Safricans know, this does NOT happen. They tell us that we get tornadoes every year, we do,YES, but not right next door? Those people who have been hit did not even know what hit them..."It was a snake"...They were thinking it was the end of the world. Now, if it was so common in S.A, wouldn't we know?

In 39 years i have not seen this, yet "It is common"???

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: ignoramus

Man I couldn't agree with you and pixie more!

I'm 34 and lived in JHB for 30 years, and not once did I ever see or hear of a tornado touching down in the Gauteng area. Never heard any family members or friends ever mention them. And now 2 a day apart!
Yeah right, just another day in Jozi?? And don't get me started on the snow!

And yes qonone, some of the locals believed it was a snake that was attacking them. There was a lady who posted a comment on the News24 site about that, but it seems to have been removed cause I can't find it there anymore.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Exactly, everybody all over the world is talking about the changes, yet, SA gets snow that includes the entire Freestate from Jozy to the Drakensburg, we had floods last summer ... those barely gets a mention. If it wasn't for the few here on ATS, the world would think nothing ever happens in SA. Little do they know, we're feeling all the changes too. I was so worried about all the children during those snow storms, the street children. You know, we're not equipped to handle these things.

That's another thing, if tornadoes, and these types of storms was the norm, then why don't we have storm basement thingy's and double paneled windows, central heating and so forth? If it was the norm, then those things would be standard like in the countries where those things do happen regularly.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

lol, not really BS, it's just that a lot of ours are small in comparison to those in the US etc. When I was still living back home, driving from varsity in Midrand back to Edenvale, actually saw one towards the East Rand. Was pretty cool :-)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixie777

That's another thing, if tornadoes, and these types of storms was the norm, then why don't we have storm basement thingy's and double paneled windows, central heating and so forth? If it was the norm, then those things would be standard like in the countries where those things do happen regularly.

Spot on there Pixie! SA's building codes don't require double glazed windows and doors, etc. I sold architectural (W&D) hardware in SA for 12 years, so I know what goes into these products. Here in Canada we have the country split up into 4 weather zones with each having different spec's that Windows & Doors have to be made up to.

No such thing exists in SA, because there is no reason to! Yes, we do have AAAMSA and you can see the standards there. You'll see there's no need to have W&D's designed to handle tornadoes or hurricanes.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by auxxon

Hi auxxon

I was in that one, if it is the same one? The only one i do know of in Midrand, was in 1998. I was at Vodaworld that day and their doors came down and everyone ran inside. I didn't see or hear anything prior to the entrance doors coming down. When i got outside some cars were damaged and the undercover parking bay structure was damaged.

But no one saw the actual tornado, so we didn't know what it was until later that evening. Think it was a F0 or F1?

My dad, who grew up in the Freestate, told me stories of tornadoes and that he has seen two in his lifetime, and he is 80 years old. I am not saying we do not get any tornadoes, we do and i know that. The fact that it hit settlements was the cause of the news "worthiness" but still, 2 in one day couple 100 km's from each other. On Sunday evening i took photos of the clouds cause they were ominous and beautiful. 2011 weather is very strange and it's not something i have seen with my own eyes, and so many are saying it is normal weather

The snowstorms we had, the thunderstorms in Winter alone for 2011 was very strange and many go on believing that everything is normal with the climate.

Gonna upload my photos of Sunday evening.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Here are some of the photos i took on Sunday when the tornadoes hit the two areas. I am +- 50km from the closest area that got hit.

imageshack.us...

edit on 10/4/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I'm a little bit late to this thread, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

It was fun reading some lekker Afrikaans from my fellow South Africans! I did not realize there are so many here on ATS! And to the poster of the Cornè and Twakkie clip - Kudos to you! I literally fell off my chair laughing! Those okes are simply the best - I have a signed poster of theirs hanging on the wall right next to me!

Back to the topic at hand - the weather has been bizarre to say the least. Just the other day I was bragging on another ATS thread on how SA has one of the best and most stable weather-systems in the world and that we do very rarely experience tornadoes, typhoons etc. etc. Ha! To be refuted by these two tornados just weeks later - so much for my statement!

I do agree with some of the previous posters - tornadoes are a really rare event in SA. I have seen some giant dust-devils in the Karoo - this is a fairly common occurrence in the drier parts of SA and does resemble a small and "mini" tornado. But this is a total different event and only attributable to a combination of wind and dry soil conditions, and very rarely last longer than a minute or two.

We had extremely hot and unseasonable weather in the latter part of winter here in my area of the Western Cape. Middle of August (suppose to be freezing) felt like the middle of summer. The mosquitoes came out in full force a full two months before their usual time. The worst is still to come, I suppose?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Awesome thread!!! Nice to see "wors" spoken online

I must admit, as much as i enjoy weather, any and all, jhb people generally hate anything except sunny and hot, and complain loudly when it isn't!!

SA is a unique in that we have so many different geographical regions, in a fairly small area. Add to that 2 major oceans (with accompanying weather systems), the dragon mountains and Karoo, and of course the highveld, where lightening is made

And i haven't even mentioned the great people!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join