It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two tornadoes touchdown in South Africa, outside Johannesburg

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
We do get the odd tornado every few years, but 2 in one day, and so close to Johannesburg?! It's getting weirder down south! They are saying that we can expect more today.

People who still say that the weather is normal, need to wake up! This year South Africa has had severe snow storms, severe thunderstorms IN Winter, and now tornadoes! 2011 threw it in our face, yet we deny it?!

Two children have been killed and hundreds of people left homeless as tornadoes ripped through Duduza near Johannesburg and Ficksburg in the Free State.

"[It] has killed one and left more than 1 000 houses destroyed," said Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha.

Source
Source 2

Pictures

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: Source added

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: comment

edit on 10/3/2011 by qonone because: grammar

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Welcome to my world. I've seen Joplin first-hand, experienced part of that storm and have been through many more. Stay safe! Tornadoes can form in a variety of locations. If you don't have a basement, interior rooms, especially bathrooms are your friends. Hop in the tub and throw the mattress over you! Don't try to run around the house opening windows. It won't do any good. Get to your safe spot first!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by midwest

Mattress next to bath, already

The Joplin event was just sad. I doubt that we'll get a direct hit, where i am situated, but i won't take a chance. They have predicted more for today and tomorrow, so i am keeping a camera on hand.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Nice news. And here in the UK we're having a heat-wave, it's not even fun anymore

Temperatures have dropped around the end of September/start of October for the last few years running (certainly 2007-2010, where I've been paying attention). We also had our hottest October day since 1985 at the weekend. This year has been rather odd - we've had literally 4 or 5 days of rain since February. 80% of days since Feb have been cloudless. As far as I know, this isn't usual for the UK. However, I know it's happened before - but I was very young at the time. So I agree, the weather seems a tad ****** up!! But it could just be solar cycles.

Anyway hope everyone is ok in SA and no-one gets injured.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Heavy DAYS... O_o

I Live in JHB myself (North Rand - Fourways side) But I can't say i've heard a word of this before now....

Though I must admit, I don't listen to the local MSM..... And I didn't get my morning fix of the Times for having woken up late for work this morning....

But agreed - we HAVE had some abnormal weather here lately.... Definitely something to keep an eye on....

I guess this evening will reveal wether (or should that be WEATHER) more tornadoes touch down....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Havoc40k

Myself only heard about it earlier! For the first time in months, today, i changed channel to E-News

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Yes it is becoming more scary and weird... dit maak my bang...en hallo daar con
it is coming closer, hopefully it doesn't come to where we like to braai burger patties

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just to be clear, every year, around this time, we get tornados, and similar unusual weather activity. The only reason this was noticed was because it hit a settled area, normally the free state farmers don't bother reporting them when the tornado hits their mielies

That being said, how was that storm? Even more hectic since it wasn't an isolated cell, but spanned half the country!!

Have a look at: SA Weather Observer for some good information.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Isn't our tornado season from November to January? Two in one day is eerie..

I remember the EF3 outside Vereeniging in 2007, ran for about 10km. The 3 that hit Natal in 1998, and the Cape tornado couple years ago.

Storm was beautiful! I took some photos in the evening as the clouds were just so awesome. Saturday's storm was hectic, too.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Just to be clear, every year, around this time, we get tornados, and similar unusual weather activity. The only reason this was noticed was because it hit a settled area, normally the free state farmers don't bother reporting them when the tornado hits their mielies

That being said, how was that storm? Even more hectic since it wasn't an isolated cell, but spanned half the country!!

Have a look at: SA Weather Observer for some good information.

Agreed.... Niemand gee om vir 'n paar mielies wat oor waai nie

It's just significant for the fact that TWO hit populated space within a day of each other...

I must say, The weekend's rains were insane.... Had hailstones the size of a 20-cent piece pelting down last night...

Regardless though, the first PROPER rains of the season are always so refreshing...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I worked Saturday night and when travelling back to my side on Sunday morning everything was so clean and green. I have not seen it or felt so refreshed in such a long time. I was telling my girlfriend that it is the the most beautiful i have seen our area in years.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Hey buddy,

Thanks so much for posting this!
My Aunt and Gran both live in Dunnotar, right on the border with Duduza, so I've just BBM'ed my aunt to see if they're ok. I really hope they are!

I agree with you that we do get tornadoes every now and then, and as Harry pointed out most of that occurs in the Free State. However, I've never heard of one, yet alone 2 touching down in the Gauteng area. That's not to say they don't happen, I might just not have heard about it. I lived there for 30 years, so I'm not sure how I could have?

You are so right, the weather in SA this year has been crazy. The rain in winter is something we hardly ever get on the Highveld, and yet my family and friends reported a number of thunderstorms. And for those who may not know about the snow in SA, I made a thread about it in August.

I'll be checking this thread throughout the day to see if there are any updates from you guys in SA, and first hand reports. Keep safe everybody!

ETA: Found the video on YT, thought I'd embed here.

edit on 3-10-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: Added Video

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Nice find!

Quite surprising to see some video footage of the event... With Afrikaans

By the way (and totally, completely off-topic, but relevant to the video clip), is that F$kofpolisiekar that's playing in this guy's car?
Saw them playing the other night...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I had an interview with a Free State farmer (Krys Wessels - Kukuzans Boerdery) for an IT job back in the late 90's. The interview was on a Friday, got the job and duly reported for work on Monday only to find there was a concrete slab where the office used to be. A tornado had sucked it up the previous day.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Oh my word, look at all these Afrikaners in one thread
Vir wat is julle so skaars? ek't al begin dink ek's die enigste conspiracy nut in ons land

I thought this was odd as well, since we never hear of tornado's, but maybe, as was said, it just doesn't get reported. Still ... two in one day? Strange ...

I have some pics, I'll try to upload, haven't tried before, so this is as good a chance as any to try out the new upload feature, eh?

I got these via email, so I really do not know who the picture-taker is.
edit on 3-10-2011 by Pixie777 because: ETA pics

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixie777

Hiya Pixie,

I saw those pics posted here at the news24 gallery. They have uploaded some more in the past few hours. They also had the YT video that I embedded earlier.

There are also some more posted here on the Mail & Guardian's site.

BTW - there are quite a few of us here from SA, yours truly included. Just got to follow the boerewors trail here on ATS!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I trust your aunt and gran is fine
Have you heard anything from them?

reply to post by Pixie777

Dit is so awesome dat daar soveel GOEIE Suid Afrikaners op ATS is!!!

The pics are the same as the ones i shared but ATS media gave me issues to upload earlier, so thank you for doing it!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Aha! Thanks now I also know where the pics came from

Of course yes, gotta follow the boerewors trail here, that's is ultimately what we are famous for
well one of the things anyway
I was just surprised to see something from ol' SA here, we rarely see news of SA here on ATS

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Hey bud,

Yeah I heard from my aunt about 20 mins ago to say that it missed her by a few kilometers, so she is ok. My gran happened to be staying at my folks last night in Linmeyer so she too is fine.
You have any wild weather in Midrand or the South by us qonone?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Hi bud,

Great to know they are safe
I was in Bassonia last night, but Midrand had a major one on Saturday night!

How are you???

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join