It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dead sea scrolls now online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
the dead sea scrolls are the most important archeological discovery of the 20th century.(discovered in 1947-56)until recent times they where only available at the Israeli museum,now Google has posted some of them online and will continue to do so as they are translated.there writings predate JESUS's time but give us a great understanding on first and second century Judaism bc. most scholars believe the Essenes where likely the authors of these text.they are just something worth studying.but keep in mind if you dont understand the bible as it is written, you probably wont understand these neither(only recommended for biblical theologians)

dss.collections.imj.org.il...
edit on 3-10-2011 by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The first few pages of this.. IS really a interesting read....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

I can't seem to figure out how to view the translated version of the scrolls...a little help?

EDIT: don't worry, this seems to be what I wanted: dss.collections.imj.org.il...
edit on 3-10-2011 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Um, the Nag Hammadi Library(Dead Sea Scrolls) has been translated and available both in hard edition and on line for a very long time, in fact I own a hard cover copy with the original text and the translations. I am confused.

Edit to add links (basic Google search): www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a

(Amazon): www.amazon.com...
edit on 3-10-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The sad thing is when the young boy found the scrolls, his mother used them for burning as logs. We will never know what the other scrolls were. But what was left to not burn is immensely valuable.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

here is another interesting site

virtualqumran.huji.ac.il...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

the Nag Hammadi Library are not the dead sea scrolls. i am talking about the temple scroll,the war scroll,book of Enoch was found, every book in the torah except for one(i think ester) they are not gnostic gospels but ancient Hebrew,and Aramaic writings.you are confusing two different discoveries.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST

I wish to apologize as I know this information and I really am not sure where my mind was at the time I wrote what I did. Thinking one thing and typing another I suppose. It made perfect sense in my mind but what was typed made none at all.

I realize they are two different texts found 2 years apart in different locations. They are both considered Gnostic texts. What I was attempting to say is that like the Nag Hammadi library, the Dead Sea scrolls are available in hard bound and on line. Then my head was stuck on the Nag Hammadi Library thus the links, but the translations for the Dead Sea Scrolls are also on line.

However, they are not complete and new translations come out regularly that are not within those text ie the Book of Enoch. I know you have replied to the post that was originally there but I did not read it as I was trying to clear this one. I have to admit I had one heck of a brain skip this afternoon as I definitely know the difference.

Again I apologize for my temporary loss of mental ability. I am actually embarrassed over it. It was a major "DUH" moment.

Terminal mental vapor-lock,

Agarta

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

the difference between the two is that the dead sea scrolls per-date King JESUS"S time and are most likely written by the essenes who lived their life like modern day followers of Christ( not to use the word christian because that would automatically trigger you to a state of defense.)these were people who embraced poverty and sometimes dint marry, very apocalyptic people be careful researching these people as many sites spread misinformation that they believed in reincarnation instead of Resurrection,but these were the lineage of where most biblical prophets came threw so they knew their way of life had a divine purpose) flavious Josephus spoke of them in "the antiquities of the Jews" 1st century ad. now the Nag Hammadi Library are but gnostic gospels written after the time of the crucifixion and after the time of john and Paul, this is a very big difference in the text if you wanna understand real christian theology because according to Jesus, john was the last of the prophets, so any thing written after him should just be for cultural study and not taken literally as the rest of the holy bible is.

top topics

join