It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#OWS Inspired Rant from a Canadian.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm gunna put this in the rant section i guess, because it is a rant on my part. I started thinking about it and it was bothering me. So i decided to write about it. In my own words with some sources and such. If its too vulgar you can remove it. But there is swearing, but the swear filter will block them out im sure. I just don't want to go down and edit them all out, it takes away from it in my opinion.

~~~~

I have been watching the #occupywallstreet #takewallstreet, and etc since it first started. Tuned into the live feed all the time. And it got me thinking, watching it grow from what it was at first, into what it is now, with a bunch of other organized protests in cities accross america. Protest arrest have already happened in vancouver, with the cheney inicident. People know who the corrupt are, or are realizing it.

there is an OccupyCanada, and Toronto. And considering some of the latest thievery in our own local governments in the last couple years (i think? ill try to find some sources).

Thats evidence of it at the local government greed as well. But its much larger than that now, this is a global happening, i do believe this will grow into something unimaginable. Change for the better.

coupmedia.org...

Those are #occupywallstreets offical demands. We have those exact same problems here, but it seems less dramatic because America has a higher population. But ours is smaller. And lets #ing face it. and bring it to peoples #ing attention.

Every human being has a right,
To have a roof over their head.
To have food in their stomach.
No matter what.
No one deserves to be homeless.
Children shouldn't have to go hungry.

Canada's homeless population is somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 people, while another 1.7 million residents struggle with "housing affordability issues," says an analysis of the latest research on shelter.

Source

And now, of a population of 34,278,400, and an increase of 40,400 since last year. That's %5.03 of the population struggling to survive. Unacceptable. Instead of putting money where it doesn't #ing belong, like pumping up our jails, since you know. Crime rate is at low. Our prisons are not full. And they want to ADD more prison space?

How about preventing crime at its source. POVERTY
The elite have robbed the world blind. Europe is on its way down, The states is on its way down. Japan is on its way down. We're on the way down with them. We are all intermingled in this mess. And we need to be out of it.

How many students can barely afford rent? While they pay back 15,000 - 150,000 dollars in debt? and they can't find a job?

Canada’s economy shed jobs for the first time in five months in August, pushing the unemployment rate up a tick to 7.3 per cent as workers in construction, transportation and warehousing struggled to find employment.

Sou rce

Yet harper wants to spend 29 - 100 Billion dollars on these #ing jets that aren't even built yet, and are having EXPENSIVE issues with them.
Cutting 1.2billion from childcare - cupe.ca...
Yet he still managed to give the oil companies a nice 1.4billion dollar tax break. - And does not want to eliminate those tax breaks every year - www.ctv.ca...

Canadian corporations earned $54.1 billion in operating profits in the third quarter, up 7.9 per cent from the previous quarter, reports Statistics Canada. Profits in manufacturing, mining and other non-financial industries rose 10.4 per cent to $41.7 billion and 18 out of 22 sectors reported higher profits.

Yet productive investments remain in the tank: corporate spending on buildings, machinery and equipment fell by one in the third quarter, bringing the fall in investment in the goods-and-services-producing sectors over in the past year to 14.8 per cent. That helps explain Canada's stubbornly-high unemployment, which remained at 8.5 per cent in November. And the latest StatsCan data shows Canadian industry is operating at just two-thirds of capacity.

So where are those profits going? In part, the answer is "offshore." Canadian companies continue to export massive amounts of the profits their employees produce for them, investing them in their foreign operations or in global financial markets. In spite of the recession, Canadian companies have continued to steadily increase what they spend outside Canada. Since the end of 2005, Canadian corporations' direct investments offshore rose by a third, from $452 billion to $601 billion. Their foreign financial holdings increased even more; foreign bond holdings are up by nearly half, stocks by 33.6 per cent and bank deposits -- many in cozy offshore tax havens -- have grown by three quarters.

Corporate profits are also going into the stock market. Recession? You wouldn't know from the Toronto Stock Exchange, whose share value has risen by more than 50 per cent since hitting bottom in March.

Hoarding cash

Corporations are also currently hoarding billions in profits, simply stashing them in bank accounts. The assets of Canada's chartered banks rose by about 10 per cent, from $1.76 trillion to $1.93 trillion, between the second quarter of 2008 and this year, according to Bank of Canada statistics. But the amount the banks loaned to businesses actually fell by $6 billion -- that means that hundreds of billions of dollars are just sitting in bank accounts in hopes of higher rates of return.

Another place those profits went was into the boss's pocket. Over 321,000 Canadians lost their jobs in the past year and Canadians' average wages fell. A Desjardins Securities survey found that more than 35 per cent of retirees reported a drop in their incomes in the past year while 39 per cent saw their savings decline. But Canadian Business says the majority of Canada's 100 wealthiest persons became richer this year, reaching an average net worth of $1.7 billion each, up almost 5 per cent from 2008. While total car sales were down, luxury auto sales were up by about 10 per cent in November. BMW, the world's biggest builder of luxury cars, said its global sales rose 11.5 per cent, with even bigger gains in Canada.

When the stimulus ends, then what?

So it's not that there are no profits; profits are simply being used for purposes other than investment and job creation. The folks in Canada's corporate boardrooms simply aren't interested in productive investment right now. And the federal government is in no rush to encourage them to invest or create jobs.

In fact, Stephen Harper's Conservative government seems set on winding up its stimulus plan next year. And that's a serious mistake. Because while corporate investment has slumped, government expenditure is all that's keeping the Canadian economy going! Government expenditures rose by $20 billion from the third quarter last year to this year.

Without that boost, small as it is compared to the Obama government's stimulus plan, we would be in free fall.

Source
edit on 2/10/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The system at work. The stock exchange at work. Canada riches 100 people got 1.7BILLION in profits in one year? That is just people. That does not include other funds funneled away from creating jobs. Where is it going?

Who thinks they own us?

Exactly what i mean, SOMEONE BENEFITS from our suffering. When the Europe crashes, then America, We'll go down with the ship as well. Lots of people don't realize it. We need to fix that. More than ever.

You take your pick at any industry or corp that so to speak.
Government/Politics
Medical field.
Big pharma
Oil
Power
Manufacturing.
Food

Pick it, its owned by someone at the very top of the food chain. They think they have power, but they do not. This is a global happening. And it is gradually building and building. We need to do what we can in order to bring this to light. Everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves to have a comfortable standard of living, no matter who or what.

The 'money' is there to feed the entire planet, There would be no more starving people. We could revolutionize the planet when it is not about profit margins, and stocks, and bonds. Everyone on this planet could live comfortably. If they stopped war, and pumped those billions of dollars into medicine, into technology, into manufacturing. Into the lifeblood of our country. We are creative creatures, and if the resources were pumped into our country. Well, you know. We would not be in debt for one. We could advance in technology in leaps and bounds (i suspect there are some suppressed technologies out there, agree or not. There definatly iss. see "Who killed the electric car", good start)

I dont know how that is so hard to understand and grasp for a lot of people. I see people in a different light now. I dont know what to do when people ignore the obvious to me.

We are the people
We are the 99%
We will not be ruled by a fraction of 1%
We are not cattle
Not slaves.

I could go on and on and on and on... But you get the jist of it. We're getting #ed, and we're just takin it. So i'll leave you with this.

Charlie Chaplain's speech in The Great Dictator

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I am Canadian.

I am a business owner.

I Pay my taxes to line the pockets of those that are tax exempt and earn more than I do.

I am angry, disillusioned, broke, struggling and fed up.

I am NOT anonymous.

I am a Canadian Citizen and more importantly a World Citizen...NOT property.

I am the little guy that the big guy should watch out for.

Because...I WILL NOT bow down anymore.

Elite...Your time has come.

And most importantly...'I'...is now...'WE'

Peace (and I truly mean it) PEACE!

edit on 3-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I am Canadian.

I am a business owner.

I Pay my taxes to line the pockets of those that are tax exempt and earn more than I do.

I am NOT anonymous.

edit on 2-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

I remember us talking before. @occupyNS and Occupy Nova Scotia on FB.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

I am Canadian.

I am a business owner.

I am NOT anonymous.

edit on 2-10-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

I remember us talking before. @occupyNS and Occupy Nova Scotia on FB.

Yea, we have talked before. But it was on ATS I believe. I don't use FB.

Glad to see see you pop up again!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Also, i read a statistic somewhere, ill try to find the source. That 20.5% of canadian students are unable to find a job. And canada can only have so much student loan debt, and we've surpassed it. 1.26 trillion i do believe?

And yeah it was on ATS. I've been around. Just haven't had much worthwhile to say lately.
edit on 3/10/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Also, i read a statistic somewhere, ill try to find the source. That 20.5% of canadian students are unable to find a job. And canada can only have so much student loan debt, and we've surpassed it. 1.26 trillion i do believe?

And yeah it was on ATS. I've been around. Just haven't had much worthwhile to say lately.

So how did the Occupy NS go?

BTW, the mere fact of you being involved with it means you said a lot IMO.

Thanks for carrying the torch.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I will be unable to occupy constantly. But there are meetings every day at 3. MSG me for more details if you want to
, But there are some that are going to be camping out in the location that has yet to be chose. The meetings are public. And we may have a permanent spot to hold them in halifax.

The meetings they've had, the people change constantly. 600+ likes on FB, 250+ followers on twitter. I

Its spreading like wildfire! Theres OccupyPEI and NB and NFLD too ;D

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I will be unable to occupy constantly. But there are meetings every day at 3. MSG me for more details if you want to
, But there are some that are going to be camping out in the location that has yet to be chose. The meetings are public. And we may have a permanent spot to hold them in halifax.

The meetings they've had, the people change constantly. 600+ likes on FB, 250+ followers on twitter. I

Its spreading like wildfire! Theres OccupyPEI and NB and NFLD too ;D

Fantastic!

I'm available for whatever needs to be done. You can find me here.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

join