It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Escaping from Zip Ties

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm not up to 32, but definitely in the double digits. I agree with you 100%. I also have a lot of close friends in law enforcement, and in my job I often work alongside law enforcement. Give respect = get respect.

I got a speeding ticket about 3 days ago. I don't believe I was speeding, I think he made a mistake, I wasn't wearing a seatbelt, and my kids were not in car seats (they were seatbelted in the backseat though). I also had my concealed weapon under my shirt and a knife in my pocket. Anyhow, I respectfully objected to the ticket, told him why I thought he was mistaken, and handed him my concealed permit along with my drivers license. He asked about the gun, I told him it was under my shirt and I would keep my hands away from my body.

He ran my stuff, knocked the ticket down to a warning, and ignored the seatbelt violations. Win-Win.

I'm still curious about these videos though. A friend and I used to practice snapping off the old metal cuffs, it was fairly easy to do that if you knew how to apply the leverage without hurting yourself. I didn't think there was any easy way to escape the zip-ties, and I still don't, but I plan to try it this evening, LOL!

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

I don't think it is CGI, but I think it might be a perforated zip tie. Something modified to break easily.

As for assuming what the videos are for, the very first line of the OP is....

Thought these might be relevant in these times of protest.

Different methods for escaping from zip ties which seem to be the prefered use for them of late, that being to render harmless protesters...harmless

While the videos may not be specifically for escaping custody, the OP of this thread certainly seems pointed in that direction.

But again, the thread was reopened, so no harm done. It was just a short review. I don't see a problem at all with reviewing it to be sure.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

fair enough. let us know how your experiment works out.

are you going to be trying the friction saw method? i dont have the 550 parachord so i wasnt able to try it.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can't leave with out dispatching some advice.

If you're ever cuffed and /or arrested ? It's real simple. Open your eyes and ears and above all shut your damn mouth. Except for identity questions again shut your mouth. Did I mention shut your mouth ? Comply with everything an officer asks you to do that doesn't involve information. Give respect and it will be noticed and returned in my experience. Then there is a program you must get with. From there you should be good to go until release. But don't forget to shut your mouth

Get Ready

K quick story
On the bus back from court one time. There was an S-A, just one those naturally hilarious Chicanos. As prisoners we were all brought in to the jury box where he had found a paper clip. So on the bus back jail
The dumb ass popped off his cuffs. Well the driver saw this I guess and there are cameras on the bus too. So even tho he was back in the cuffs by the time we got back to the jail. He was marked for mayhem 5 huge
Deputys tackled his ass as he stepped from the bus. Face first into pavement that didn't really give that much.
Likeable guy gets real bad hurt.
edit on 4-10-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I'm not gonna try the friction saw. If I had the time and freedom to saw through it with a shoelace, surely I could find something better than a shoelace, LOL! An old soda can, or my zipper, or a sharp rock, or the corner of a brick. I don't think I would ever have the patience to use a boot lace to saw through something. I could probably chew through it with my teeth faster than a boot lace.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

well if the video is legit, he did it in about 4 seconds.

the majority of the effort was in tying the knots

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by BadNinja68

still wondering why this was even considered?

There are lots and lots of reasons to review something like this. This is just my opinion as a member, but consider all the pitfalls:
Is this advice even real? Does it really work? Is it dangerous and can someone get hurt?
Is it legal? Do we want to be showing people how to escape custody?

My biggest concern was the validity of the video. The one where he snaps it behind his back looks fake to me. I'm going to go home and try it, but I do not think there is enough force behind the back to do that, and I suspect those zip ties were modified to break easily. He also tightens it down in the front with his teeth and no warning to not try this alone. Suppose someone cuts off the circulation to their hands and then can't break free?

The good news is, the thread was re-opened. I'm surprised to see the criticism over just reviewing the thread?

In My Humble Opinion, the best way to determine if something like this is fake or not is to review, and discuss it.

we are here, or so I thought to discuss topics, not to "teach people "stuff.
The discussion alone leads to education, all of which is good.

again, just my humble thoughts... not meant to criticise.
I even stated I was just curious as to the midset that would close a topic that was niether illegal, immoral, or harmful to ATS or it's members in anyway.
I pay close attention.. one of my "faults."

and without searching, is the Moderator that suggested closing the thread actually a real LEO?
If so that explains both midset and kneejerk reaction to suppress any information from the masses, that may expose a weakness in any LEO action or system.
No disrespect intended.
again, this is ATS's house, and I am but a humble guest here.
I mean no discontent or disruption.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Hey ! That zipper thing might work, all the cops would think is, it was time to handle your business.

Can't flag this sucker. Not enougfh text.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

OK, I watched the video again, and if it is legit, it is pretty impressive. I have some paracord at the house, so I will try it afterall.

I don't know if I have any large Zip Ties, I might have to go by Walmart and get some.

I am optimistic about the front break, it looks possible. I can't believe the rear break or the shoe strings, but I'll try it!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I'm done with all that now. Havn't been in trouble since 2000.

Never went to prison.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
OP Great Information. Thank You. This information is exactly the type of content that is valuable. Quick, easy, competant, thoughtful.Easy to pass on to those you love for extreme survival knowledge.

If my life is at stake because they caught me, for some illegal reason, and are transporting me to some illegal location, Ill risk the bullet, as I flee during the confusion.

edit on 4-10-2011 by MentalGiant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
it looks like he bends his knees a bit in video 2. as if the "bounce" is part of the overall motion.
maybe it helps with the leverage

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As an escapologist for many years, I have reservations about teaching the public to escape from various devices. In the past I have performed many public and private shows as well as given my 30min talks to both LE and commercial guard staff, and contractors. I'm the only person alive to ever escape from double locked prisoner transport irons wearing only a provided t shirt and boxers after being searched and hold the Guinness record to prove it. My photographs of show, homemade, and prisoner improvised escape devices in my collections have been reprinted in several manuals. I don't have any problem at all advising LE on the methods that never fail should they become captive. More than happy to. Thats the one case i never want to hear about.

That said, my words of warning are this: In some places around the world, felony escape will get you a bullet real fast. My advise is this. If you are arrested, submit peacefully and follow the bouncing ball through the process. Thats coming from someone who really can wander off whenever they feel like it.

Second, many of those vids are doctored as the mods suspected. Unless you practice yourself, assume they are like the ones showing 144 AA batteries inside a 12v car battery.

Last. Never. I mean never..... practice escapology alone. People have died in the past when other factors such as fire and water or others came into the picture.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

That is sound advice to a criminal! If I were being detained it would mean that the End is here and those that are doing the detaining do not plan on keep us alive. You bet I would escape at any cost!

Never allow anyone to take you to another location!

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Your feelings are understandable. But there just isnt the manpower to make a roundup work here. One thing you can be assured of and 100% certain....

If what you fear is actually true, they already know how you feel and they will only approach you once your loved ones have already been picked up.

Make sense? if it really gets that bad, you will do what your told. Hitler, Stalin and many others have already worked out the compliance problems many years ago.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This could be extremely useful one day. Not everyone that's going to zip tie you is going to be in the right.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

how are you able to tell if they are doctored?

is it an assumption based your own experience or is there something in the video that gives it away?

if so would you mind pointing it out?

thanks in advance

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I'm no professional, but I think the ties may have been scored for the purpose of demonstration. They seemed to be breaking in a very uniform way.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Mythkiller

this is cool. could be handy one day i guess haha

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

These folks are almost a decade late with bad information. I think the answers your after are in the endorsement vid. They are not trying to get out of real Zips. They have junky home depot specials in the vids.

Here. Same guy with actual restraint zips. (And he only has trainers. real ones are just a little different materials and mechanism)

www.youtube.com...

Typically most departments purchase items that meet a standardized guideline for insurance/standards purposes. Their budgets are usually crap and they generally get ones similar to these or the fold down type like in the vid.
www.safariland.com...

Its the biggest LE bang for the buck and you wont be able to make a shim or friction saw through them on the fly. And I can attest your wrist bones will snap long before these will even come close. When I did my talks I brought a few different kinds and almost always they had the same ones due to budget and standards. I also brought the only known tool that has been devised to defeat them and its kept glued into the back of a small glass case, and once they saw it they always agreed no one will ever have one and felt far more secure using those items.

And yes, just to satisfy the curiosity, I have a couple friends that are active and retired LE, and I happen to be dating a retired police woman at present.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join