It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use your computer FOR SCIENCE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Our Mission, Our Work and You World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity. Our work has developed the technical infrastructure that serves as the grid's foundation for scientific research. Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better. World Community Grid is making technology available only to public and not-for-profit organizations to use in humanitarian research that might otherwise not be completed due to the high cost of the computer infrastructure required in the absence of a public grid. As part of our commitment to advancing human welfare, all results will be in the public domain and made public to the global research community.

www.worldcommunitygrid.org...

Just wanted to know what you all think about this. I am doing this when i get a better computer. Hey, after cures are found you can honestly say "I helped cure (Insert disease)."

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

It;s good to see projects like this, especially when scientists and their teams are always needing more funding and resources.

This is abit like BOINC, the same server client people use to connect to SETI, although apart from SETI there are many other projects you are able to volunteer resources to -

Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research.

boinc.berkeley.edu...

BOINC is supported by the National Science Foundation through awards SCI-0221529, SCI-0438443, SCI-0506411, PHY/0555655, and OCI-0721124. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.

Thanks for sharing
i love hearing about these types of projects.

Edit to add - how are these for some stats, that's alot of computing power

Active: 286,939 volunteers, 421,774 computers.
24-hour average: 5.299 PetaFLOPS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit on 2-10-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Thanks for telling me about the BOINC one.

Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research.

This sounds good too. I might give it a try at some point. This is all a very cool and simple way to partipate in extending human knowledge.

Thanks for posting!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I feel this has been overlooked. It really is an interesting system.

So... bump.

top topics

join