It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Report: al-Qaida May Target VA Hospitals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
DHS and the FBI are warning in a new bulletin of possible attacks against veterans hospitals in lue of attacking more heavily guarded military installations.

www.phoenix360.com
Although U.S. authorities say there is no credible intelligence regarding a specific threat against such hospitals, the bulletin said there have been persistent reports of "suspicious activity" at medical facilities throughout the United States.

That includes "possible reconnaissance activities" this year at unspecified military medical facilities in Bethesda, Md., and Aurora, Colo., the bulletin said. Even though later investigation of these two incidents uncovered no links to terrorism, the bulletin urges vigilance at VA hospitals on the part of police and security personnel.

"These facilities may be considered attractive targets due to their association with the military and a perception that such an attack may be more successful than an attack against traditional military targets, which generally maintain a more robust security posture," the bulletin says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is unfortunate that the Department of Homeland Security and the FBI feel it neccesary to issue a warning for everything from grocery stores to grade schools in order to cover their buts in the event another attack takes place on our country.

It seems the best minds in counter terrorism are brain storming on everything, and finding even the faintest of links.

While it is neccesary to keep the public informed, and for us to remain vigilent. The weekly warnings are going to create a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome, and people will become conplacent.

[edit on 8-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The Homeland Security Department has issued a new warning that indicates that the Veterans Administration Hospital System may be a target for terrorist attacks. While no specific threat has been identified it is believed that some VA sites have come under reconnaissance.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Al-Qaida may attempt to attack Veterans Affairs hospitals as an alternative to more heavily guarded U.S. military installations, the FBI (news - web sites) and Homeland Security Department warn in a new nationwide terrorism bulletin.

Although U.S. authorities say there is no credible intelligence regarding a specific threat against such hospitals, the bulletin said there have been persistent reports of "suspicious activity" at medical facilities throughout the United States.

That includes "possible reconnaissance activities" this year at unspecified military medical facilities in Bethesda, Md., and Aurora, Colo., the bulletin said. Even though later investigation of these two incidents uncovered no links to terrorism, the bulletin urges vigilance at VA hospitals on the part of police and security personnel.

"These facilities may be considered attractive targets due to their association with the military and a perception that such an attack may be more successful than an attack against traditional military targets, which generally maintain a more robust security posture," the bulletin says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hospitals especialy the VA system would be an ideal target IMHO. Hospitals are soft targets that would be easy to hit and have a lot less security than other more high profile sites. They house highly trained people and alot of equipment in addition to the patients that they serve. Taking one down Oklahoma City style would deliver quuite a psyhological blow IMHO.

[edit on 8-27-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_natureWhile it is neccesary to keep the public informed, and for us to remain vigilent. The weekly warnings are going to create a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome, and people will become conplacent.

The people will not become complacent if we refuse to become complacent. We must take the warnings in the spirit in whch they are issued. It is vigilence that will protect us, not cynicism. Only the individual can discourage this reaction in himself.

In the US, we are a government of the people, by the people and for the people. We will exercise this this model in November. The stakes are to high for us to succumb to irratioal fear (paranoia).

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
ummmm... Wouldn`t the list of things that they WILL NOT target me much shorter?

It seems every week there is something new. I mean heck! Anything is a viable target to terrorists.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is really absurd. Homeland Security should just say:
You aren't safe anywhere, anytime or anyplace. Everyone is suspect. Every location is a target ...the sky is falling. OMG, lock yourselves in your house and hide under the mattress. Oh, by the way, we should go on living our normal lives or terrorists will "win". GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
joey

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is really absurd. Homeland Security should just say:
You aren't safe anywhere, anytime or anyplace. Everyone is suspect. Every location is a target ...the sky is falling. OMG, lock yourselves in your house and hide under the mattress. Oh, by the way, we should go on living our normal lives or terrorists will "win". GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
joey

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You know this bordering on ridiculous, one thing is having terrorist treads on NY buildings and financial sector due to the 9/11 but the rest of the treads are a waist of tax payer money and misused of local resourses.

This madness has to stop.

[edit on 28-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just to let you know. I had a cousin pass away last night. He was in a local LARGE veteran's center. I just drove my mother over to collect a suit for his burial. If this center is considered to be threatened then apparently our government has decided that veteran's aren't worthy of security measures.

So don't worry about your welfare funds being spent to protect our veterans marg...it's not happening.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Valhall,

I am sorry for your lost, but what in the world will Al-queda has to gain from targeting a veterans hospital?

I don't see the reasoning of that, most of this people are verteran most are older people, what kind of tread to Al-queda can they be.

Now military bases that is another story.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Valhall,

I am sorry for your lost, but what in the world will Al-queda has to gain from targeting a veterans hospital?

I don't see the reasoning of that, most of this people are verteran most are older people, what kind of tread to Al-queda can they be.

Now military bases that is another story.

Marg, I can answer this one for you: The hospitals would be considered a "soft target" and hitting a soft target would cause more fear and panic among the general public. Sure, they want publicity and try to target large groups of people, but you have to remember that part of what they wish to achieve is simple terror. Hospitals would be very easy to target because of the lack of security, and would also cause people to panic if it looked like they could become targets anytime or anywhere. IMO, hitting places like hospitals, shopping malls, and the like would be more frightening to the average person than attacking someplace we all expect to be attacked (like NYC, the RNC, Olympics, whatever).

On a similar note the civilain hospitals in NJ were also put "on alert" about 2 weeks ago since they may be targets. It has nothing to do with whether it is a perceived threat to Al-Queda or not. AQ is only after the "fear factor". My opinion and $4 will buy you a cup of latte at Starbucks.

Gardenia

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JCMinJapan
ummmm... Wouldn`t the list of things that they WILL NOT target me much shorter?

It seems every week there is something new. I mean heck! Anything is a viable target to terrorists.

You have a point, but Hospitals are in essence large groupd of highly trained and large groups of sick people. Traditional safe, if you wanted to spread terror, how about attacking the bastions people percieve as safe. Take out a childrens hospital and it would really freak people out. Its a psych exersize. However, much like 911, the terrorist did not a good read on American psychology and it made us mad more than anything else.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I can understand that a place like Bethesda or Walter Reed will be a priority target but then they are taken care already and under security.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I saw a bunch of Arabs at Mc Donalds. Uh Oh, Call fatherland...er....I mean homeland security, cuz now Mc Ds is a terrorist target. Its soft, lots of people drive through...........

I am really getting tired of these stupid threats based on no or little, suspect inteligence. First, they warn us that our own beer coolers might turn against us on the fourth of July. Then we need to watch out for anyone hanging out near a bridge. Now its Va hospitals.

Your tax dollars at work. yeah.

new topics

top topics

join