It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Md. projects seek foreign dollars from would-be immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I am really kind of floored by this:

The private developers of two high-profile state projects are seeking financing through a visa program that lets wealthy foreigners go to the front of the line for green cards and possible U.S. citizenship in return for a $500,000 investment

now it is private companies looking for this advantage, but these are state projects. And immigration isnt going to be approved without the feds.

I dont even see how this is legal....

www.baltimoresun.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">baltimore sun

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

link dont work

here ya go:

www.baltimoresun.com...
edit on 2-10-2011 by ARealandTrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Malaysia where I live has something very similar set up, Its called Malaysia my 2nd home.

If you buy a house for 500,000 Ringgit (about $170,000 US) you get a permanent visa.
I dont see the problem with this, to me it makes good economic sense.

As a citizen of any country wouldnt you prefer any immigrants to be adding to the country as opposed to draining it? I would personally applaud this idea if it was put forward in Australia and Im guessing most Brits would feel the same way

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ARealandTrueAmerican

Thank You

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

For one, I don't think that someone should be able to cut the line because they can afford it.
It seems the government only wants those coming here for high, taxable income.
In th
In your case they are buying a house. That is an investment and that does make more economic sense. In this case, they are just buying their way into the country quicker.

Taxpayers will support these projects, does any of the money come back to them?

This reeks of Ravens stadium in Baltimore, where the taxpayers funded the stadium but the football team got to sell the name of the stadium to a private corporation.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
this is the EB5 program.

its not as your assuming, what the investor must do is create at least 10 jobs with their 500,000 investment. If they do not create the jobs, the visa is revoked.

it is a good program and has created lots of economic development in regions that others refused to invest in...its a thoughtful program to create targeted investment in under developed or depressed regions.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ariel bender

So then the person paying 500,000 for the visa, must come in and create 10 jobs?

What if they don't?

If that is the case, that would make more economic sense.

top topics

join