It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover record breaking ozone hole above the Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
'It's happened again: scientists discover record breaking ozone hole above the Arctic'

SCIENTISTS have discovered another hold [sic] in the ozone layer - this time it's in the Arctic. "Unprecedented depletion" of ozone was recorded above the Arctic, comparable to the size of the ozone hole above the Antarctic for the first time on record. The hole in the ozone in the Antarctic was caused by human produced chemicals and unusually long winters

link

www.news.com.au... 0504

Oh noes, we're doomed - again!

Interesting how the article states that "The hole in the ozone in the Antarctic was caused by human produced chemicals and unusually long winters"

So we're getting unusually long winters now? Thank goodness it's now called climate change.

I don't buy the ozone hole theory much at all and believe ozone is merely a chemical reaction between the sun's radiation and oxygen, which temporally forms ozone which is unstable and therefore it is the oxygen protecting us from harmful radiation and not ozone itself.. Where there is no sunlight (ie at one particular pole during the winter period, due to the earth being tilted on its axis), no chemical reaction occurs and therefore no ozone is produced, hence causing a 'hole' at that particular pole. No holes over NY,London, Tokyo etc that I'm aware off which is not surprising.

Conversely:
‘NOAA: Ozone hole will begin to close in the next decade’
www.dailycamera.com...

Also,

‘Ozone theory has holes’
tucsoncitizen.com...

edit on 2-10-2011 by cams because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-10-2011 by cams because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

So we're getting unusually long winters now? Thank goodness it's now called climate change.

Were you under the impression a rise in climatic temperature meant that regional temperatures would rise everywhere? Because, if so, you have been misled.
edit on 2-10-2011 by ARealandTrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No holes over NY,London, Tokyo etc that I'm aware off which is not surprising.

Are you sure there's no holes over those cities?
I'm only half joking...I doubt anyone on ATS has the equipment to actually verify this...we're sort of in a position where we have to trust NASA on the media on these ozone holes. Well, we either trust them on this issue, or believe whatever we want to believe.

But you do make a good point that I hadn't thought of, nor ever heard before. I've been thinking about Ozone holes lately, but mostly how there hasn't been much talk in the media about them, and since they're on the whole climate change bandwagon, it seems odd they aren't talking about them.

The first explanation that I can think of for why the holes are forming over the poles, and not over major cities, is that it takes a while for the chemicals to reach the ozone layer...it's pretty high up there. The particles don't go straight up.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARealandTrueAmerican

Were you under the impression a rise in climatic temperature meant that regional temperatures would rise everywhere? Because, if so, you have been misled.

I was under that impression that it would occur - eventually anyway.

Perhaps you can elaborate or help? Do you know whereabouts on Earth temperatures are predicted to rise and where abouts are they predicted to fall?

BTW, link fixed. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cams

Originally posted by ARealandTrueAmerican

I was under that impression that it would occur - eventually anyway.

Well, then I am here to tell your your impression is incorrect. Your welcome.

Perhaps you can elaborate or help? Do you know whereabouts on Earth temperatures are predicted to rise and where abouts are they predicted to fall?

changes in climate are not the same as regional temperatures. Climate change, weather you believe in it or not, refers to changes in the climate, not localized weather. A warmer climate can mean colder winters in soem regions and hotter summers in others. This is all very basic stuff.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cams

Can Ozone depletion be attributed to increased nuclear radiation in the atmosphere???

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Where there is no sunlight (ie at one particular pole during the winter period, due to the earth being tilted on its axis), no chemical reaction occurs and therefore no ozone is produced, hence causing a 'hole' at that particular pole.

That's part of it. But the chlorine from chlorofluorocarbons cause a more rapid loss of ozone, breaking down O3 into O2 and CLO. The net result is a decrease in O3 levels in polar regions where, because of lack of sunlight 03 is not replenished and because of the cold temperatures enhance the formation of polar stratospheric clouds. It is within the PSCs that the chlorine reaction occurs.
www.shsu.edu...

The "unusually long winters" was one Arctic winter. The past one. I lasted 30 days longer than any previously studied. The extended period of cold means that the PSCs are there for a longer period of time and result in a greater destruction of O3.

And yes, climate change is complex.
edit on 10/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/3/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cams

Oh noes, we're doomed - again!

Interesting how the article states that "The hole in the ozone in the Antarctic was caused by human produced chemicals and unusually long winters"

I don't buy the ozone hole theory much at all and believe ozone is merely a chemical reaction between the sun's radiation and oxygen, which temporally forms ozone which is unstable and therefore it is the oxygen protecting us from harmful radiation and not ozone itself..

You shouldn’t really use sarcasm unless you are absolutely sure you are correct... And, judging by your post, I would say you are not sure.

You don’t "buy" the ozone hole theory much?!?!

Doesn’t sound very sure to me...

We have scientists who have been studying this area for decades. They have backed it up with evidence and data. The whole world stopped, listened, and made changes in an attempt to prevent further loss of the ozone layer. Skin cancer rates in Australia increased and CFC's were banned (although still used illegally in some countries)

But you don’t buy it?!?

Sorry, don’t mean to sound rude, but I think I will take these scientifically researched facts over someone’s non-scientific opinions, hunches and misunderstanding of theories.

I am certainly not a scientist... But even I can see that climate change does not mean everywhere gets hot and that there is no whole above major cities because certain gasses can collect at the polar regions. Things that happen in local areas can often have impacts in other parts of the world. Like the sub-Saharan dust that is thought to be causing increased asthma rates in the Caribbean... Mineral Dust

There is a growing, and worrying, trend lately where people will dismiss and scoff at anything related to environmental issues. This blasé attitude, to our fragile natural world, seems to have no real scientific foundation and often seems to come across as nothing more than macho bravado or "head in the sand" ignorance... I really don’t get it?!?!

Sorry if i come across as rude... it’s not meant to be, it’s just that my frustration sometimes comes through in my writing.

Peace

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I can explain anti-climate change people easily.

Most of them get their information from right wing oriented news sources. Acting on climate change initiatives requires that companies and corps spend more money on their processes in order to make the change less damaging. Right-wing doesn't want for corporations to spend a dime out of their profits so they tell their followers that there is no climate change and that Al Gore is a whacko but in truth they are just shills for corporate america. Similar to telling them that people who want to see that children have health care are communists.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ARealandTrueAmerican

Read anything on global warming it's not theroy its fact!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
there are plenty of folks living near the arctic here on ats , believe me when i say you will know if there is an unusual warm or cold winter.

so far its pretty normal , first sheets of snow arrived up north a week ago and dissapared just as fast as they came

i still have a heap of carrots spic,es and lettuce growing out doors in the garden and they do just fine as they did last year

thers been no unusual storms , just plain ol normal weather as its been year after year.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I believe that an OZONE HOLE is being formed above these thirteen (13) cities in Southern California. Why? The UV Levels as bounded by these cities have been either 11 or 12 for the past THREE months in which I have been documenting their UV levels on a daily basis. Furthermore, when one moves away from the cloud these specific cities outline, the UV level drops to 4 or 5.
Is this something that is happening or not? I need a review and comment from someone in authority or in this science.
The MAP OUTLINE includes the following cities (as a minimum)

1. Anaheim
2. Brea
3. Compton
4. Downey
5. Fullerton
6. La Puente
7. Pico Rivera
8. Placentia
9. Sunset Beach
10. Walnut
11. Westminster
12. West Covina
13. Whittier

Please CONTACT (No PUN INTENTED) me and either VALIDATE these finding with CURRENT data or refute this data entirely with CURRENT data. Regardless of SEASON, the % DROP outside the CLOUD formation should still be present and therefore documentable... I will continue to document the UV's beginning October 1, 2012 for FALL-WINTER Seasons (??) here in So California.

top topics

join