It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Fellow Aussies, the date of the 15th of October has been set for the occupation of Melbourne in relation to uprisings that have been happening all over the world and in particular the 'Occupy Wall Street' protests in the state. Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide & Perth info also available.

The objective of the day is to peacefully protest against the 1% of the population who live lavishly off the corrupted monetary system and the greed of multi-national corporations while the average Aussie battler can't seem to catch a break.

Non-violent uprising against corporate control of government and the extent to which the wealthiest 1% own your life. We are the 99%

Info for events:

Occupy Australia Facebook page

Occupy Melbourne Facebook Page

Occupy Sydney Facebook Page

Occupy Brisbane Facebook Page

Occupy Perth Facebook Page

Occupy Adelaide Facebook Page

We Are The 99%- Tumblr

Hopefully it gets off the ground in other cities too.

There is an existing thread here but it does not specifically relate to Australia; Anonymous- Occupy The Planet

Be safe everyone and remember it is a PEACEFUL protest, not an excuse to go feral especially as we all know how our police force (particularly the Victorian one) doesn't mind being heavy handed and excessive...but that's another story- don't give the beast an excuse to nab you!

Keep in mind also, we don't know who anonymous are so just have it in the back of your mind that it may not be all it is cracked up to be as we're not 100% as to who's pulling the strings on this puppet show. Also, I know I've provided Facebook links but these will be the most useful spots for info as the day gets closer- be wary about what you say on FB!

edit on 2/10/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Except it looks like the Brisbane group only has an Organising Meeting planned so far and it's planned for the 16th Oct.

If anything does get planned for the 15th, I'll be there.

I'm not on Facebook so can't contribute there.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
The objective of the day is to peacefully protest against the 99% of the population who live lavishly while the average Aussie battler can't seem to catch a break.

Do you think that sentence might need rewording?

And if I understand you correctly, then the point of this protest is just to hate anyone who is rich?
Thats it? Find a rich person and protest against them?
Any rich person?
Cause they're evil, arent they?

edit on 2-10-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

Edit - after much consideration, I've decided to protest aginst Guy Sebastian.
I'm sure he's rich and lives lavishly.
Who have you chosen?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Done, thanks for noticing- I'm at work and am doing other stuff too.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The objective of the day is to peacefully protest against the 99% of the population who live lavishly while the average Aussie battler can't seem to catch a break.

Do you think that sentence might need rewording?

And if I understand you correctly, then the point of this protest is just to hate anyone who is rich?
Thats it? Find a rich person and protest against them?
Any rich person?
Cause they're evil, arent they?

Who have you chosen?

I've decided to protest against Shane Warne. Whilst his effort during his professional cricketing career was of great benefit to the Australian Cricket Team he accumulated too high of an income as of last financial year and is living well above my means, to my dismay.

This is why I have chosen Shane to be my target!

Happy? is that the response you were after?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
You do Realise that the peace loving, squeaky clean, law abiding Bikie Gangs call themselves the "1% ters", Dont You?
So you protesting against the rich, presumed crooked, 1% Bikies now? Im sure they will be touched.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
You do Realise that the peace loving, squeaky clean, law abiding Bikie Gangs call themselves the "1% ters", Dont You?
So you protesting against the rich, presumed crooked, 1% Bikies now? Im sure they will be touched.

Dear gort51,

Thanks for your clarification. Without it I surely would of made an absolute fool of myself! Your sleuthing skills are unrivaled in this dimension of limited human thought capacity and your observation does not go without praise and thanks.

As for the bikie's attitude and emotional attraction to peace, I can not comment on this, perhaps your knowledgeable self could continue to provide further insight regarding this? As for their hygenic standards ('squaky clean') that is another matter within itself, which I request clarification on.

I was, until your post of enlightenment, unaware of how bikie's symbolise themselves via fractional representation...I can only hope and wait with baited breath, that people do not disregard the thoughts from 99% of their brain which will surely correlate the 1% in question with the signs and promotion of the event aimed at multi-national corporations and government as opposed to bikie gangs. I do have one small point of concern though, I conducted further research in to the matter and have been made aware of the following

Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a 1% patch worn on the colors. This is claimed to be a reference to a comment made by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in which they stated that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws.
. Not being a motorcycle owner, I now withdraw my participation from the event.

I thank you for yhe valuable time you have taken to enlighten myself and other users beyond the capability of our own intellect and can only hope to reach your level of credibility some day.

Regards your pal and protege,

Pirateofpsychonautics

P.S I had absolutely no part in the organisation of any of these protests- merely making other aware that they are happening.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yes I agree with you...To all the 1% bikies out there...Just to let you know, We Love you guys.....
No, no not in the Homo way...in the Brotherhood way.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

I got to agree with the other poster here about protesting about the rich because they are rich. I'd be much happier if the protest was about a much more equitus tax system that taxed the rich a lot more. Id be a lot happier if the protest about reversing the trend of transferring the welfare system away from individuals to corporate recipients

To get any recognition and support from the Australian public you need to narrow the protest down to 2 or 3 specific issues and market them to the public via the media using in a way that everyone can understand and relate to.

Example;

In the 1980's the Howard government broke the back of the unions in the Pilbara by a single message that said the unions go on strike over the flavours of ice-cream in the company canteen.

See; ice-cream is something that everyone can understand and relate to and going on strike is something that everyone can understand and relate to.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have absolutely nothing to do with organizing any of this. I posted in light of the thread I linked to in the OP because I thought it newsworthy and that people would be interested/want to be aware of these events. It's about the dominance of multi-national corporations, their influence on our governments and in turn how these corrupt lot control our lives.

I still don't know if I'll attend, the more I think about it, the more I see the potential of worldwide protests and then various governments and arms of TPTB steping in and saying 'you've asked, here's what we propose' and us being delivered a bomb disguised as a gift which people will gobble up thinking their protesting efforts were not in vain. At the same time though, it's no secret that it is a flawed and corrupt system in desperate need of change..all boils down to what that change is but, TPTB's primary concern is obviously not our freedom, liberty and overall happiness.

It will be very interesting to see how the world economy correlates with all of this. That, I believe is the queen on this chessboard (monarchy pun unintentional).
edit on 3/10/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
My suspicions are now confirmed; George Soros' Sympathy For Wall Street Protestors-BBC

I will not be attending and urge others not to.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Who have you chosen?

I have chosen to protest Gina Reinhardt, but I will need support as her girth is too great for me to picket-line myself--any sandgropers here wanna join me?

as for the bikies: CCMC 6053 4 life!.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

My suspicions are now confirmed; George Soros' Sympathy For Wall Street Protestors-BBC

I will not be attending and urge others not to.

Dude, what if your response is just what they wanted??

Associated Soros with Occupy to discourage participation and raise skepticism??

Just a thought mate

Anyway i'll be at Occupy Sydney on the 15th. Feel a need to be there. Let's see what eventuates

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
After some friendly interaction with the folk at occupy Perth I have decided against protesting in Perth. Occupy Perth is organised by some questionable characters that I would not want to be associated with (and coming from me that speaks volumes). Its a shame how a movement with so much potential can be hijacked by those who are intent on destroying it.

Maybe I'll fly over east and join occupy Melbourne.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by cartenz

Intresting.

A movement like this can be hijacked so damn easily. By either crazy nobodies or the Powers That Be. They've done it before and i have no doubt that many Occupy protests occuring right now ahve been hijacked. So hard to make a diff these days.

The best way i find is to work on yourself. If everyone decided to collectively work on themself, the world would change very quickly....

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Australia never had a bail out, we have a public health system. we have it pretty good in comparrison to other countries.
Protest the carbon tax, the mining tax, pokie reform if you want, protest we have a ranger as prime minister, but we do not have any where the same problems they have in the US.

protesting here will only take away from the US protests and give them less meaning.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I don't think this whole "Occupy *insert place*" thing works for Australia, OP this isn't aimed at you, the movement itself is what I am referring to.. I mean, if it DID apply to Australia then it feels we should be doing it in Wall Street, cause they're the ones who screwed us all anyhow, right?

IMO we should be protesting the sale of Australian assets to foreign douchebags, fighting that friggin' carbon tax (which will directly impact on our exports, the industry I work in.. and I like my job thank you very much) AND many of the other issues mentioned by fellow posters in this thread.

Protesting against the 1% seems pointless in my eyes, but then again that is just my opinion. I don't see how it will change anything, all I hope is that the end result is a better and fairer (is fairer a word?) place for everyone, poor, middle class, higher upper lower middle class, high class and the 1% the "Occupy" people are protesting against.... I can dream can't I? :lol
edit on 11/10/11 by WishForWings because: Speeling

edit on 11/10/11 by WishForWings because: Spelling*

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I read something today, reminded me of this thread.

"; for in a time when so much was written on subjects which no one could determine, people seemed to live in a perpetual state of quarrel and contention."

That's where we are right now, everywhere, what good will my protest do in a very small town full of miners and farmers? I'd be lucky not to be run out of town.

for instance...

$80,000 cleaning at the mine camp (starting wage)
$100,000 Dump truck driving (starting wage)
$130,000 Supervising mine camp construction (starting wage)

see?!?!

We're actually not doing that bad, when you think about it mates, and if your situation is not working for you....
only you have the power to change it.

a

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartenz
After some friendly interaction with the folk at occupy Perth I have decided against protesting in Perth. Occupy Perth is organised by some questionable characters that I would not want to be associated with (and coming from me that speaks volumes). Its a shame how a movement with so much potential can be hijacked by those who are intent on destroying it.

Indeed.

This was to be my first protest, but I'm not doing the one in my capital city - there is a group in there who I certainly don't want anything to do with because they are stupid enough to start trouble and don't understand reason.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I love the bikies too..........they rule

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join