It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new member makes a creative introduction thread and mods delete it...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
some of the mods here are a little triggy happy.

you know when someone doesn't know what they're doing, so they try a little 'too' hard.....

which just results in people ignoring them and not taking anything that's actually important seriously too.

you'll get used to them, or learn to ignore them, or leave.

seems to be the trend anyway... thank god this isn't a business

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

"come and write whatever you like, link to your website, post hoax material" Take a look at this thread about introductions

no links in the post, no hoax material, nothing about aliens, conspiracies.

The beginning of the post involved some metaphysical stuff, but it clearly led into him introducing himself. It was done in a creative manner, even if it was a little hard for some to understand what he was saying.
But I looked at that thread you linked to before making this thread...he didn't break the T&C.

My guess is the mods read it quickly, and didn't really think about the post. The first paragraph might've seemed off-topic, but if you kept reading it led to a neat introduction.
It really goes to show how quickly mods can delete threads, without really taking the time to consider the post, and that people spend time writing these things.

edit on 3-10-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
My threads have been deleted several times, so I sympathize with all of you who have had a thread or two removed.

Most, if not all, of my threads have been removed by one mod in particular- maria_stardust.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Originally posted by Ghost375

no links in the post, no hoax material, nothing about aliens, conspiracies.
Well that's boring. Why are you so upset about it?

You may be missing an important detail here. Maybe this particular intro thread, that you are referring to, was not guilty of any of this ↓......

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
......NOT

"come and write whatever you like, link to your website, post hoax material"
.......but the numerous amounts of others, who have created new accounts, for no other reason than this ↑, is why the rules pertaining to introduction threads NEED TO BE STRICT.

You may not be aware of this, but there are a few extremely gullible people who frequent this website. In the short time that I have been coming here, I have seen several introduction threads, that should have been removed, but had not been because some (JUST SOME, NOT ALL) of the mods, are also gullible... ...occasionally.

The Introduction Forum is better off being limited to introductions only. Personally, I think they're still a little too lenient at times, by letting some stay open.

[color=93FF82]ETA: Actually, everyone would probably be better off if the entire Introduction Forum was deleted. Don't let anybody, open up any threads, until after they have 20 posts..... or more.
edit on 10/3/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You do realize of course, that if you ever feel a mod has done something you disagree with, you can use the complaint feature and have it reviewed by OTHER mods.....

Even we mods sometimes get overruled. I've had things overridden by the three amigos themselves. I don't always agree with it, but that's one of the things I like about this place, that they do at least value the input.

That's great to link people to the T&C and all, but seriously, what does it hurt to have your introduction have a little story about what you think/believe?
It hurts no one and benefits everyone. Perhaps a change is in order instead of censorship. Poor person comes here and their first post is deleted, thats a great way to build communities!

That policy isn't meant to stifle creativity, it's there to ensure that the best possible audience of members can see the story. For example, a member wouldn't check the Intro forum to see an abduction encounter story, any more than they'd check the Crypto forum for the latest 911 conspiracy ideas. We want content to be easy to find for everyone.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'm not saying that STAFF is in on it.

I'm saying it's probable that if there are these DISINFO people out there, that ATS would be a great place to spread their propaganda.

Different topic all together from what the OP was talking about i guess.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
You do realize of course, that if you ever feel a mod has done something you disagree with, you can use the complaint feature and have it reviewed by OTHER mods.....

Even we mods sometimes get overruled. I've had things overridden by the three amigos themselves. I don't always agree with it, but that's one of the things I like about this place, that they do at least value the input.

That's great to link people to the T&C and all, but seriously, what does it hurt to have your introduction have a little story about what you think/believe?
It hurts no one and benefits everyone. Perhaps a change is in order instead of censorship. Poor person comes here and their first post is deleted, thats a great way to build communities!

That policy isn't meant to stifle creativity, it's there to ensure that the best possible audience of members can see the story. For example, a member wouldn't check the Intro forum to see an abduction encounter story, any more than they'd check the Crypto forum for the latest 911 conspiracy ideas. We want content to be easy to find for everyone.

This is true but few people will realistically backup they're posts and move it somewhere else once it's
been deleted because it was in the wrong category

but what I do respect is you posting in this thread because it takes courage to address
matters where users are upset and displeased about the state of things and like I said
that takes courage, thanks.

Obviously there will be some minor form of bias but I wasn't even aware there was a complaint feature,
this is useful for everyone else to check out. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

This is true but few people will realistically backup they're posts and move it somewhere else once it's
been deleted because it was in the wrong category

Technically, we don't "delete" threads. They are moved to a trash bin forum that isn't visible to the members. If a thread is deleted and we need it back, we can do so.

We wouldn't trash a thread for being in the wrong category, we'd just move it to the appropriate one. Granted, mods can only do so in their assigned forums, but supermods can do in any forum. That's what the cape does.

but what I do respect is you posting in this thread because it takes courage to address
matters where users are upset and displeased about the state of things and like I said
that takes courage, thanks.

You are quite welcome. As I said, we're volunteers to help the membership.

I'm saying it's probable that if there are these DISINFO people out there, that ATS would be a great place to spread their propaganda.

Can't disagree with your logic. Quite possibly, there are those willing to spread disinfo just to create chaos. Such is the anonymous Internet.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here it is:

A Perfect Example

of this↓

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

You may not be aware of this, but there are a few extremely [color=DCFFBD]gullible people who frequent this website. In the short time that I have been coming here, I have seen several introduction threads, that [color=DCFFBD]should have been removed, but had not been because some (JUST SOME, NOT ALL) of the mods, are [color=DCFFBD]also gullible... ...occasionally.

The Introduction Forum is better off being limited to introductions only. Personally, I think they're still a little [color=DCFFBD]too lenient at times, by letting some stay open.

[color=93FF82]ETA: Actually, everyone would probably be better off if the entire Introduction Forum was deleted. Don't let anybody, open up any threads, until after they have 20 posts..... or more.

and this↓

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

• Filter and EDIT peoples posts. If they have bad language - no problem! add a few ****** into they're posts. No use deleting the entire thing because of a few bad words.

• Some do. When/if they do that, you will see that the post has been edited, and you will see who it has been edited by. Also they usually post a link to a thread regarding profane language. You will then see *snip* inserted into the post, in place of the previous words.

You don't even have to read that thread, in order to realize that it is a flawless specimen. Other than a quick glance at the OP, I read none of it, but it is painfully obvious.

That Introduction Thread:
  • was open for almost 8 hours
  • received 67 replies
  • was eventually shut down
  • is still currently in the 'New-Hot: Active New Topics' List
  • was edited by one Mod, who removed part of the OP, and replaced it with→ [Snip]
  • was personally typed, and posted, by Jesus Christ

• posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 10:07 AM
    link   
    Contrary to popular opinion, we're not omniscient (or perfect). Needed to be moved to the Religion forum in my opinion...

edit on 4-10-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Gazrok

But as they were a new member the appropriate action was taken...the thread was closed as per the T&C's.

Moving threads which are obviously Hoaxes to the religion forum does make sense...but not in this instance

Anyone claiming to be God, Jesus, Allah, should be immediately banned IMO. Its quite clear they arent....isnt it???

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:49 PM
    link   
    reply to post by loves a conspiricy

But as they were a new member the appropriate action was taken...the thread was closed as per the T&C's.

Moving threads which are obviously Hoaxes.....

Personally, I think that is an issue that should be addressed.

lmao.... ridiculous..... nevermind.

Well, I was going to mention how different Mods, sometimes seem to have varying opinions, in regards to certain rules. Sometimes, threads are moved, and other times they are shut down. Now I see that there is actually a 3rd possibility too.

[color=C9FFDA]Apparently Jesus Christ's Introduction Thread, has now been somewhat resurrected. Currently, it is still closed, but has been moved to the religion forum.

I still think this would be the best solution:

[color=C2F5FF]Delete the entire Introduction Forum.
    Don't let anybody create any new threads, until after they have 20 posts..... or more.

edit on 10/4/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:13 PM
    link   

Anyone claiming to be God, Jesus, Allah, should be immediately banned IMO. Its quite clear they arent....isnt it???

No more than someone claiming to be an alien? Or a demon? Or anything?

We simply don't have any way to know.

I mean sure, it's the obvious assumption, but do YOU want to be the one to ban Jesus and explain it to his dad?

Seriously though, how do you tell a psycho from someone just trying to pull people's legs? If it was easy, the membership would have called out that guy who ended up shooting the Congresswoman...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:25 PM
    link   

No more than someone claiming to be an alien? Or a demon? Or anything?

We simply don't have any way to know.

I mean sure, it's the obvious assumption, but do YOU want to be the one to ban Jesus and explain it to his dad?

While I do enjoy those posts sometimes, I sort of agree with others that those people should be banned.
    And we do know because it's not possible that they are god, an alien or a demon.

Seriously though, how do you tell a psycho from someone just trying to pull people's legs? If it was easy, the membership would have called out that guy who ended up shooting the Congresswoman...

Actually they did... several people told the guy he needed help and that he didn't make sense and someone said they were worried for him.

It all came out after people discovered he posted here.

I don't think anyone can say/could have said he will kill someone, but he was identified as being somewhat warped and deluded and mental.

I think if someone is highlighted/reported for this kind of thing or people constantly make threads and posts about being god, or being an alien or being illuminati.... then ban them, we don't need those people here, they add nothing to the community.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:49 PM
    link   
    Here we go again. Jeez this is getting tedious. Maybe we should rename the Rant forum to "Bitch About the Staff." Hell, let's close or trash this thread. They'll be another one around within a day or 2. I'm sorry for the frustration but it's getting to be a little much for people that spend HOURS and HOURS for you guys and we get crapped on continually. It's not like we are getting any remuneration. We do it for YOU and the site.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:53 PM
    link   
    *tosses intrepid some special brew*

Its like a circle. It does not end.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
    link   
    reply to post by intrepid

Eh, we're only human...well most of us, there are a couple I'm not so sure about...

In any case, I just hope all members know that the staff is an invitational and voluntary position. We do what we can to make the site function as smoothly as possible, and as the largest conspiracy site on the web, it's a tall order, but one I feel the staff gets more right than wrong. That's really all I can say on the matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join