It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The drug Propranolol may cure autism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
There have been a few threads here on ATS about propranolol and what it does. Apparently researchers at the University of Missouri think that propranolol may hold the "cure" for autism:

"David Beversdorf, associate professor and Thompson Endowed Chair at the MU Thompson Centre for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, found that the drug propranolol is beneficial for improving language development and social communication in people with autism".

I think that if it turns out that this drug can cure autism, that it would be a good option for autistic people. If one is comfortable with being autistic, then they can go on with their lives. As for those who wish to be not be autistic, this could be their way out.

What are your opinions on this issue?

Here is the original article:
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

So then it should be outlawed by the FDA shortly then huh?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Too bad that it would be a substanctial loss for the pharm companies whom pray of the sick so it will never be released to any of the meaningless people.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
You guys make an excellent point. Treating an "illness" is a much more lucrative enterprise then curing it. That is too bad. Something like this has potential to enrich people's lives.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

i dont mean to rain on the parade its just if hit doesnt help them it aint gonna happen.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

This is true. There are some older threads here on ATS that show that this drug has unsavory side-effects. So even if it does cure autism, what might the trade-offs be?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathwa

Trade Name Inderal indeed may be effective in the case of controlling Autistic behavior; However it most certainly is not a cure. It should be considered a somewhat serious drug to take considering the effects it has on the heart of lowering the pulse rate and BP. It has been used in cases of anxiety attacks and is proven to work well for panic attacks. But it does have a profound effect on the heart rate and is most often ordered for heart patients who are in need of lowering the resting pulse rate.
Drug companies have made many good drugs over the years, and this is indeed one that does what it is supposed to do.
Drug companies have also made some drugs that do nothing and sell very very big. With serious side effects. Some of them over the counter!. The FDA approved every one of them.
A few years back I did a rather detailed research on autism. Through all my years of working in the health care field it was the one disease that had me baffled. If Inderal will help the autistic then if they have no objections by all means, give them Inderal: Provided of course they heart rate is closely monitored
. Without intervention of some kind, autism will generally not go away on it's own.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MissCoyote

In the case Propranolol it has been on the market for many years. It is available in several different variations from multiple drug companies in generic form and is generally inexpensive compared to many other drugs.
The drug companies will most likely alter the chemical makeup by a very minor degree and apply for a new patent if it turns out to be a good treatment for Autism. Then they can give you a "new" old drug and charge you a fortune for it. All the while the old drug is still on the market for cheap: Few people will know and you will spend more money for the same thing. Who knew?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I work in mental health and am around autistic people every day, and I can tell you propranolol is not a cure. Most of my autistic consumers get nothing out of it. It is also prescribed to help people with a wide range of developmental disabilities other than autism with varying success.
edit on 2-10-2011 by wiandiii because: for spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wiandiii

That is good to know. Sounds like the researchers at Mizzou are just conducting a study for the sake of conducting a study then. Oh well. At least the drug has other positive applications.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I have autism, and I started taking Propranolol 80 mg a day twice a day for anxiety and now my autism symptoms are so little that my new psychiatrist doesn't think I have it.

I am a member on ATS that posts a lot, but I found this thread by doing a Google search on "propranolol cures autism."

I was diagnosed with autism at a young age and consistently diagnosed with it afterward. Now I am not sure I will have that diagnosis anymore.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Dont be immunised when your pregnant or get the child immunised and you wont have the problem,flame away medical shills.

new topics

top topics

join