It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion by the numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I read a long time ago how ancient people (or aliens) created traditions/folklore/religions as a way to pass on important information in code to future generations, and that much of this information has to do with astronomy/astrology. If you have read Graham Hancock then you probably know that 72 is an important number because it takes 72 years for the earth to pass through one degree of precession (if you don't know about precession it's the constellations slowly "moving" around the night sky).

Now you may also know that Islam uses the number 72, or at least islamic terrorists promise suicide bombers they will have 72 virgins in heaven after they blow themselves up. I realized that this was probably confirmation of religion as metaphor, so I just did a search to see if the number 72 is used in Christianity as well, and lo and behold, I found an obscure webpage that lists uses of 72 in the bible and apocrypha: www.ridingthebeast.com...

I have heard other people say that that christianity is largely metaphors for astrological concepts (watch Zeitgeist on google video), is this proof or mere coincidence?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
. Astrology was however very important as it was perhaps the first science, as it grew out of astrology. It is perhaps this astrology that these numbers grew out of. All countries were looking at the same sky, different parts at times, but the same sky. The numbers come from this.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The kabbalah has something about 72 names of god I read about a long time ago too.

Edit: for more info look up: Shemhamphorasch
edit on 2-10-2011 by Autodidactic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by s12345
. Astrology was however very important as it was perhaps the first science, as it grew out of astrology.

astrology never was a science, its called science by those who have no idea about how science works, and since you state that it grews out of itself ... well....

its just ...nonsense .. so if nonsense emerges from nonsense .. yup, i would sign that, but nonsense is not science.

sooo... just keep it seperate, ok ? astrology is one thing, science a different, ok ?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TMJ1972

Originally posted by s12345
. Astrology was however very important as it was perhaps the first science, as it grew out of astrology.

astrology never was a science, its called science by those who have no idea about how science works, and since you state that it grews out of itself ... well....

its just ...nonsense .. so if nonsense emerges from nonsense .. yup, i would sign that, but nonsense is not science.

sooo... just keep it seperate, ok ? astrology is one thing, science a different, ok ?

I am not sure, but I think you mean astronomy? I think the ancients did indeed know astronomy, look at the pictures of Orion and Pleiades. Hieroglyphs of those are found everywhere in the ancient world. Even the Book of Job mentions those two star systems. But the practice of astrology is found in a lot of cultures. Chinese astrology is a different system.

Think about cultures below the equator, they have different visible star systems and constellations. You can see the Southern Cross below the equator.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I actually meant that astronomy came out of astrology. Sorry for my bad typing.

top topics

join