It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

most embarrassing UFO stories (UFO bloopers)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
With all of this talk about doomsday and how much everything these days sucks, I thought it'd be fun to start a more lighthearted and humorous thread... Have you ever been completely sure you saw a UFO, or something similar, only to be completely debunked and humiliated? Let's post our most embarrassing UFO sighting stories. The sillier the better. I'll start with one...

A couple of years ago I was living with a friend of mine in the midwest. We were sharing a 2 bedroom apartment on the side of a hill that overlooked the city. We had a balcony off of the living room that offered a spectacular view. We often sat out there on clear nights, smoking cigarettes and swapping stories and conspiracy theories. I would be lying if I said we weren't frequently **SNIP**. One night out on the balcony we spotted a bright, unflinching light in the sky. It was directly infront of us. The light didn't twinkle at all, and was unusually bright and large. It started to get bigger and bigger and we asserted that it was coming right for us. It was so low in the sky. "THIS IS IT!" I thought, but felt a bit panicked. My roommate decided to absolutely flip out as we had ruled out the possibility of it being a plane. The next 60 seconds were filled with panic as we were completely convinced there was an alien spacecraft coming right for us.

"Do something!" my roommate screeched.
"What do you want ME to do??" I asked, unable to keep my eyes off of the glowing object.
"Call somebody!"
It was late at night and in our anxious and excited state, my roommate fled from the apartment. She ran down the stairs to the floor below us and knocked on the door of the apartment below ours. They also had a balcony with the same view.We had never met them. A young man answered the door, and my roommate, surely appearing and smelling like a SNIP crazed lunatic, begged him to go out on the balcony and see the UFO.
Unfortunately, by this time, the object had gotten close enough that it was clearly just an airplane flying low over the city.
"Um... it's just a plane" our neighbor told her, not amused.
Needless to say, she was humiliated.

edit on 4-10-2011 by Crakeur because: removed T&C violations

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well as for me i did recall once seeing 2 bright lights, blue and red flying together but not close at the distance they seemed to be ,heading south and i told me friend look! and he said its just a plane and dint even care.
next day we heard reports of UFOs and bright lights to the south of the city over the sea and could be seen by many people.
So i guess the joke was on him that he dint give 10 seconds to care to look

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Let that be a lesson to your friend, keep your eyes on the skies!
thanks for sharing !

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Haha yes! once when I was younger I woke everyone in the house yelling WTF is that, its a F.ing UFO! Right out the window was "the flying triangle" so I thought. once I had everyones attention the "triangle" slowly became the moon?!? My dad had fun with that little incident. Haha

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
aww thats adorable, how old were you? One time I called my friend to look outside because I thought I saw something, and he was half asleep and annoyed and suggested I was just looking at the moon.

I want to believe!

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Posted this thread a couple of days ago, which was quite embarrasing

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While it was just above the horizon it was incredibly bright, and the 2 lights to its left seemed to indicate structure.

One guy said to be careful not to be abducted by Jupiter, which I thought was a stupid comment at the time.

...It was Jupiter.

Hurredly changed the title from "UFO visible over Brighton now" to the more mundane "Jupiter and her moons visible in the sky."

Don't think I'll be posting for a while.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Reply to post by scafling

Not sure how old I was, had to have been younger than 13 since thats how old I was when we moved outa the house... The moon was huge that night! Haha

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by akkad

Oh no... That's too funny! Don't be embarrassed anymore though, and don't stop posting! I've mistaken anything and everything for a UFO. It seems ironic, the more I want to see something, the more it seems I don't...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by akkad

No need to be embarrassed, you handled it like a boss imo.

Some time ago, 2 or 3 years I guess, I was driving to my work place.
It was late afternoon and the sun was setting.
Suddenly I spotted a bright glowing object above the horizon. The object slowly crawled straight up into the sky.
I was so startled that I had to park my car sideways.
At first it looked somewhat like the Shuttle on Tv. Needless to say that we don't have that kind of awesome machinery here in Germany.
Then it looked like a missile, or rather what I think a missile would look like, and that got my heart pounding.
This went on for a couple of minutes until the angle changed enough so that I could see it for what it was.
An ordinary Jet.
It was embarrassing to myself, all the adrenaline for nothing.
I have never seen a Jet approaching at such an odd angle like this.Not before and not after that.
Until...
I happened to read that thread about an alleged missile launch of the California coast, I instantly could see this being a plane. It looked exactly like what I saw.
edit on 3-10-2011 by derpif because: to ad >approaching extra DIV

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
When I began examining conspiracy theories about UFO's, I became a little bit too excited one night...
I returned home from a night of training (and drinking a lttile bit too much in the sports canteen).
It was a very bright night, but with some very dark clouds in the sky.
They moved very quickly through the sky, because it was very windy that night.
When I came at my doorstep (where there is little light pullution) I looked up and nearly crapped my pants.
I thought a whole fleet of UFO where racing through the sky above me....
It was beautifull and I felt very peacefull, thinking; Ok this show is finally going to get on the road!!
But then I finally started to focus and saw what really was going on;

The UFO's weren't moving fast through the sky, it were the clouds racing through the sky.
The UFO's didn't moved at all behind the clouds.
I focussed a bit more;
Ok the UFO's are just the stars.
And I went to bed... very disappointed...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My mom and I once saw a balloon that looked oddly enough like a flying humanoid. She quickly realized what is was, I just paled at the sight thinking, "#, #, #, please be a balloon". We then proceeded to chat about how most UFO cases are miss-identification, and easily explainable. The few that aren't, now those are the ones worth investigating.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
About 20 years ago my husband and I were sitting on the water bed listening to the radio. On the radio they were asking people to look out the window and call in telling what you think that red thing in the sky was. well, still sitting on the bed we look out there and we so see the red light in the sky. It is bobbing and weaving! We got all kinds of excited and my husband calls the radio station and tells them what we are seeing and the he knows this has to be a UFO. They put him on the radio for everyone to here. After about an hour they finally say that it is a planet. We were like what?! No way! So we get off the bed and look again. This time its not bobbing and weaving. That's when we figured out that sitting on the water bed while looking at it was making it look like it was moving.....We felt like such boobs.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
This isn't exactly related to misidentified UFOs, but it does fall under the category of ridiculous misidentifications of common objects.

One day, when I was about 15, I fell asleep on the couch with the TV on. I woke up several hours later with a strange buzzing in my ears, and when I opened my eyes and looked beyond the couch, still quite disoriented from having just woken up, I saw what appeared to be a strange black orb with some kind of translucent membrane hovering in the air.

I had no idea what it was, but for some reason, the first things that popped into my still half-dreaming mind were that it was some kind of inter-dimensional alien egg, or some kind of rip in space, etc. Suddenly flooded with mental images of strange creatures suddenly emerging from the object, I darted down the stairs and out the door, running to my friends house to tell him about this bizarre object and see what we should do.

My friend wasn't home, so I walked back home, went inside, and cautiously walked up the stairs. When I got to the top, I didn't see the black orb, but I did notice a tubular object sitting on the counter...

I turned on the light and suddenly felt like a complete idiot as I looked at the roll of cork resting on the edge of the counter. The "egg" I had seen in the dim illumination of the television screen was actually just the hole in the middle of the cork roll, which was pointing toward the couch and resting so that about half of it was off the counter; the "membrane" was just the cork surrounding the hole.

Needless to say, I was quite relieved that my friend hadn't been home.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Nanocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
LOL! These are great stories! Luckily mine isn't embarrassing, but my wife and I were driving home one evening and saw a really bright white oval-shaped light flying low to the horizon and moving very fast, it suddenly came to a complete stop and reversed direction. It looked really bizarre. I pointed it out to my wife and wondered aloud what the heck it was, she was really stymied too. We watched it for several minutes and it changed direction several times as we watched. It looked like it was a large object far in the distance and moving quite fast, but as we got closer the perspective changed (IE, it was off to our left instead of on the horizon) so we knew it wasn't as far or as big as it had initially appeared. Finally we got close enough to see and hear (I had rolled the window down to try and get a better look) it for what it really was- a helicopter with a searchlight. It was at night, so all we could see was the searchlight itself which at our angle appeared to be oval-shaped rather than round. The apparent reversal of direction wasn't that at all, the copter was flying in circles but because we were seeing it from a distance it's circuits looked like back-and-forth movement to us. It's an excellent example of how something really ordinary can look highly unusual in certain conditions, and it's why I think 99% of UFO sightings are just conventional things that people can't see clearly enough to identify. It's also why I think most UFO photos and videos are fuzzy dots of light, because if the person could zoom in close enough they'd see it's just something normal like a lighted balloon, aircraft, etc.

My other story has me on the giving end rather than receiving, I'm an R/C plane nut and have a few planes equipped with LEDs for night flying. I fly a lot in my largish back yard. One night I was flying one of my aerobatic planes, it looks particularly bizarre at night when doing loops, rolls and flat spins. After a few minutes I heard some really excited voices in the distance and suddenly a huge spotlight was shining on my plane, LOL! I guess it looked like a UFO to them! I quickly landed it before they decided to see if they could shoot it down (I live in the country)! People don't realize how common lighted R/C planes are getting these days, and they can look truly alien when flying at night. I suspect this accounts for many sightings too.

That's not to say I don't believe in flying saucers, there are some very interesting stories (the other 1% of sightings) that definitely point towards something unusual going on, I don't know if it's ETs, time travelers, or what. I haven't had a personal encounter, but I still watch the skies every chance I get

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Once, not too many years ago, I was at EPCOT in Disneyworld (Orlando), and a large crowd of us (we were all waiting to see a particular show), all spotted a UFO in the daytime sky. It was black, oddly shaped, and appeared to hover. All around me, everyone was discussing it as a UFO.

Luckily, I had my small binoculars with me (to better enjoy the show), so I used them, and looked up. It was an F-18, twin seater by the length, just approaching at an odd angle that made it look like it was hovering. I identified it as such to those around me, but man, if I didn't have the binoculars, even I, a guy who grew up within spitting distance of a tarmac, always....couldn't tell what it was without them.

So, it's easy to understand just how easy a misidentification can be, even for someone used to looking up at the sky and identifying what he sees.

For real bloopers though, just google on Adamski or Meier, hehe...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

These stories are hilarious -- I'm feeling a lot better about my UFO "blooper" now! This is certainly a nice change from all of the scary and oh-so-serious threads that I am usually reading. Thanks everyone for posting, I hope the posts keep coming!

top topics

join